First in-hand review of Lion-O

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by ninja cat, Oct 3, 2016.

1. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Very honest review. Most of the figure looks nice but I am not keen on the outfits crotch piece and the way it hinders the legs articulation. The quality control of the claw/belt attachment is concerning.

3. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

Ugh those hands. The fact that he can't hold his sword and have his claw hand on at the same time is real disconcerting. Already makes me want to hold on to my 8" Bandai Lion-O and trade for a Beast Man or Evil-Lyn.

4. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

Yeah that's a very weird decision on Matty's part. It's not like they don't have the molds already for weapon holding hands.

5. Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi Junior Member

Looks like a figure further down the line will have to include a replacement right hand and a metal claw. Figure looks awesome tho and they always look even better in hand.

6. balgus82

Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Unfortunately it seems a common occurrence for hands to get warped in the packaging as I remember Despara from MOTUC having similiar issues with the hands. Luckily it's an easy fix by heating the plastic with an hair dryer and then gently pushing the grip closer together while letting the plastic cool.
    The Claw grip peg is however a little worrying :(

As for the review itself I'm not a fan of it. The guy seemed to go on a bit too much about how we are never going to get the full team and how the line is cancelled, which should not be the emphasis of a toy review. Yes for sure mention it, but you do not need to keep saying it throughout! It just came across as putting a downer on the Lion-O figure for me (which looks amazing!) I'll look forward to other reviews which will concentrate on the figure itself foremost and show us the figure in action :)

8. Lion-O of Claudus

Lion-O of Claudus New Member

Im probably in the minority, but I think that the Bandai retail classic version Lion-O is way more accurate to the cartoon than Mattel's version.
    The Mattel face sculpt is alright, but I prefer the Bandai figure overall.

adssse and Mark M like this.
  9. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I'm a bit disappointed actually.. Very bland looking Lion-O... :( And his in packadge pose has him wearing two Claw-shields and thus having 2 Swords? Great figure to keep MIB! Uhg... And the little nob on his belt.. The nob should have been on the accessory part, the belt should have had a hole. Now, when he's wearing the Shield, that little nob is very noticeable on his belt... very poor job, Mattel.

[​IMG]

Roadpigjohn and Wilycub like this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's a shame. The usual Mattel design logic. Another big reason why I am completely against the subscription method!

11. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

My concern is, if he wears his shield on his belt, and holds the sword in his hand, then he has another sword stuck in the shield....very stupid. No clue why they molded the handle in the shield. should have just made a slit to slide the small sword into.

Mark M likes this.
  12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree. That is one of the things Bandai got right.
    If the good points of this figure were combined with the good points of the Bandai figure you would have the perfect Lion-O figure.

adssse likes this.
  13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Ya I feel both have portions that were better executed. I really like the Mattel face sculpt and detail but the Bandai proportions are more appealing to me.

Mark M likes this.
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think if the figure was done in the MOTUC scale with Bandai's articulation and buck body, Mattel's head sculpt, Mattel's detail and paint, Mattel's, swords, Bandai's clawshield and attachment feature it would be perfect. :rolleyes::biggrin:liono

adssse likes this.
  15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Sounds good to me!

Mark M likes this.
  16. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

That's why I stuck with Mezco. It's the best option available.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I know I have been quite critical of Mattel, the MOTUC buck body, the subscription method and various other things. Whilst my opinions still haven't changed on those things I have to be honest and say overall I think the Mattel Lion-O is the best representation of the character in action figure form. I still think Mattel's could do with better articulation, a better, smoother metallic clawshield and a better belt attachment for it.
    upload_2016-10-8_11-18-57.png

Berserker likes this.
  18. balgus82

The proportions really aren't that far off tbh.

[​IMG]

19. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

No LJN Lion-O???? Awww... :(

20. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Well... It's not to bad, but I have to disagree.. I know he cant be 100% accurate while utilizing he MOTUC buck, but what really bugs me are the legs and the torso. They should have given him a fully sculpted armor, with accurate muscle definition. Longer legs are probably off the table, but they could have made the [top of the] boots less wide to make the legs appear longer or at least more slender.
    [​IMG]

Mark M likes this.