First thoughts

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Captain Shiner, Jun 17, 2018.

1. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Moleman

So I’m watching this for the first time, having had the Blu Ray in my possession for the past 5 years, it was only ever going to be watched after a rewatch of the original

I am usually vehemently opposed to remakes, reboots and reimagination. I think it takes zero talent to take someone else’s ideas and just do it again in an inferior manner, there are at least half a dozen of these jokes hitting cinema per annum.

But I made an exception here, the expansion of the mythology intrigue’d me, I wanted to see if more could be done with underdeveloped characters from the original

So far I have to say I am very very impressed. The storylining and scripting is thrilling, the animation while for me, not as enjoyable as the original but that’s because I adore 80’s animation, but it’s still pretty impressive and very much ‘now’. The opening two parter gives us a proper look at Claud-us, and Grune’s betrayal (you knew it was coming) was scintillating

I would take issue with some of the voice acting, Mumm-Ra sounds like a 1st year uni student in a mummy costume. Kit and Kat sound 5 years old, would have been much better with adults doing their voices as before. Tygra’s characterisation is not great either, they’ve completely altered him to the point where he’s unrecognisable

But they are the only nitpicks, I am thoroughly enjoying this in the 5 eps I’ve watched so far. I love all the little touches and particularly enjoyed Panthro’s reference to a ‘samoflange’...shows what a labour of love this is for the creators and how much respect they have for the audience

Tygra_Rules and Mark M like this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It will be interesting reading your thoughts when you finish watching the whole series.

Tygra_Rules and Captain Shiner like this.
  3. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Me too. This show has some great things, but some big mistakes as well IMO.

4. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Me too, you're pretty much on the same page as I was after the first few episodes. I've tried a rewatch since and I didn't even get to the end.

I woudn't call Mumm-Ra's voice actor being crap a nitpick though. He was so amazing in the original, it's a massive step down in the reboot. Especially when some of the cast in the reboot are really good.

Wilycub likes this.
  5. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Moleman

Maybe I should stop here lol...

6. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Moleman

Still enjoying it, but there’s a notable shift in style in the second half, was really looking forward to seeing Monkian and Jackalman. The voice for ‘Addicus’ is appalling. But they are both pretty menacing. Sad that Grune is gone, it was great having him as a regular presence

7. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Moleman

Well i got to the end. Rushed through the second half as I set myself an end of June deadline.

I’ve been reading some of the other threads and opinion on the show is pretty savage.

I thought a lot of the episodes were excellent, the duel and the drifter was superb, but it definitely meandered in the second half, I thought the Ratar-O episode would be awesome but I found it average and the Ratar-O voice performance was piss-poor, I think the voice acting on the villains side was uninspired and downright bland...a far cry from the brilliance of the original cast of voice actors.

The episodes about kit and Kat joining a raccoon version of Fagin were really a departure and not enjoyable. I loved the one delving into Tygra’s backstory

The finale had its good and bad points, certainly the most thrilling battle scenes...and the introduction of the 2011 version of my favourite character...Vultureman!!

Again the voice for ‘Vultaire’ was galaxies apart from the awesomeness of Hammonds Vultureman, but I loved the characterisation and the Avista clan itself, that was inspired. As was Vultaires inevitable betrayal and the shot of all four ‘mutants’ reunited in one scene, I found that utterly thrilling, the gang all together again!

The Pumyra betrayal...well it was different, I quite liked it...

I just think there was a lot of love in this show, the writers are clearly fans like us who adore the source material and I think they did the best they could, they got stopped halfway through which is a travesty!!! I’d have loved to have seen the rest of it get made

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
    Tygra_Rules likes this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I still think there was far too many filler episodes. And for the most part the show seemed like a tribute to Avatar The Last Air Bender than a Thundercats show.
    But yes there was still plenty to like about it. I just wish they had done better with the show.
    The technology aspect and over all writing of the show could have been better along with the voice acting which was mostly pretty poor.
    There still some pretty amazing episodes.

9. Tygra_Rules

I think the show had a lot of potential; it started with a good premise but then the filler episodes and then some kiddish episodes and characters turned it away of the main goal. I think writers and producers lost their way somewhere and introduced a lot of elemets that didn't know what to do with at the end.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    xluckinekostylex likes this.
  10. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Plun-Darr Legend

I just finished watching the show for a third time from start to finish. This time I enjoyed it the most. If I wanted to be critical I think one season could have worked if they dropped / shortened some of the filler / character building episodes. That would’ve left time for them to do 2 episodes from all the other “wasted” time slots and get to a proper conclusion of the team finding the last stone and with that defeat Mumm-Ra. Then if that had worked and closed off the first season storyline the Lunataks, Bengali and (a not-dead) Lynx-O could have appeared in the second season to start another storyline. I could just picture them reviving Mumm-Ra (ironic as it would be the other way round this time!) as past servants of him and bringing with them all sorts of destruction and enemies. And I would have preferred if Pumyra eventually betrayed Mumm-Ra again and joined the cats.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I watched Avengers: Infinity War the other day. Thanos' quest going after the Infinity stones reminded me of the stones in Thundercats.
    Of course the movie is loosely inspired by the 1991 comic series The Infinity Gauntlet which predates Thundercats 2011.
    I can't help but think that the quest for the stones in Thundercats 2011 was just another story element they needlessly shoe horned into the plot.

12. The Drifter

The Drifter Active Member

I feel the Thundercats 2011 series is an underrated masterpiece. Excellent - I liked it far better than the original cartoon, and this is coming from someone who grew up with this back in the '80's.

I've written a brief review of the short-lived series on this site (in another thread), but suffice it to say that I felt the Thundercats 2011 animation, storyline, and characters were all fantastic. I especially liked the Manga-like inspired animation, which to me was very unique & innovative.

My only complaint with the series was that it got cancelled before being able to fully explore the new universe. I wish it had lasted at least 3-4 seasons; there is a lot more they could have done with the storyline & characters. I feel they just scratched the surface re: what was seen in the first season.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018 at 1:46 AM
  13. Tygra_Rules

As far as I know, the 2nd season would have been a disaster: killing Tygra, Cheetara pregnant, baby Bengali... With that in mind, I'm glad they cancelled the show.

Now, if the 2nd season would have followed theTcs trip and quest, based on the opriginal show, then I'd have liked to see it.

Booshman likes this.