FS : Thundercats LJN-style Lunataks Tug Mug by Barbarossa Art

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Marketplace' started by Lulu-Berlu Reg, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Lulu-Berlu Reg

Lulu-Berlu Reg Junior Member

Thundercats collectors, rejoice! 25 years after the untimely cancellation of the original LJN line, Thundercats neo-vintage action-figures are returning, thanks to Barbarossa Art and Lulu-Berlu!

Tug Mug! This member of the dreaded Lunataks is the second offering in this line of Neo-Vintage LJN-Style Thundercats Custom Figures! This hand-crafted art piece features the following:

• Original Sculpture & Tooling!
    • Figure is made of durable colored plastic. Head, Arms & Apron of Torso are cast in their final color, so no paint to scratch!
    • Highly-detailed paint application on face.
    • Silver-chrome paint on Torso, Weapon, Left Hand & Jets is polished and clear-coated for metallic appearance.
    • Durable construction! He can be displayed AND handled.
    • Fully poseable with correct LJN articulation: Head & Arms.
    • Weapon has pliable rubber strap, firmly secured to piece.
    • In scale with other ‘squat’ figures like Ram Bam and Topspinner
    • LJN-inspired interpretation of the cartoon character.
    • Fits in perfectly with earlier series figures!

The ranks of the Lunataks from the Moons of Plundarr are growing!! All of the Lunataks - including Red Eye based on the original prototype will be included in this series. Extremely limited quantities, secure yours today!

PRE-ORDER FOR APRIL DELIVERY.

Follow thins like for more pictures, and to place your pre-order :
    http://www.lulu-berlu.com/dhtml/fiche_article.php?id_article=41828

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Very nice looking figure! This line is very true to the cartoon and the LJN line.

3. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

These are absolutely fantastic, you do an incredible job. If they were a little cheaper I'd buy each one you do! Either way amazing job!!!!

4. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

I love it!!!! Magnificent work, really, hats off to all of you. Just a quicky - I thought Chilla was next in line? I do hope you try your hands at Snarfer, Willa, Nayda, Claudus and so on - and I hope and pray you get permission from that artist who came up with the 3d sculptures of some of them. His Willa is perfection!!!:liono It would be so cool to get that.

5. Lulu-Berlu Reg

Thank you. Chilla will be next... I mean, the next figure after Tug Mug.
    All the characters you mentionned are fair game. Once the Lunataks are done, we'll make other people and creature from Third Earth and beyond.
    We have plans for many more figures, but the reality is that those plans will come to fruition only if the Lunataks sell, as we can't afford to "loose our shirt", so to speak, on them.
    But don't worry, all 6 Lunataks will be released, that 100% guaranteed, as we don't want to end up with and unfinished group of villains. :)

6. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Moderator TC.org Staff

That is the best news ever! Thank you!!!! Not that I didn't have to have a reason to purchase them, but this just nailed it for me. Thrilled that you will release the lot as a group. That's really having respect for the fans. Busy saving up for my first purchase, so I'll certainly be buying the lot. Really great figures guys. Love it, well done!!!

7. cloudraker19

cloudraker19 Crabman

Are you guys planning on doing any of the Tigersharks characters? I would be insanely happy if you did. You guys do amazing work!

8. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

is there any chance you would lower the price....even a little? ur talking 300 dollars per figure here....i really would love to purchase this collection...

9. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

The Tug-Mug figure is outstanding!

10. Lulu-Berlu Reg

Tug Mug is coming! :thumbsup:
    Thundercats collectors rejoice. The wait is almost over. The second LJN-style Luna-Tak figure will be here in just a few days.
    Add this big boy to your collection now!
    http://www.lulu-berlu.com/dhtml/fiche_article.php?id_article=41828
    And while you're at it, don't forget to bring home his buddy Alluro too! :
    http://www.lulu-berlu.com/dhtml/fiche_article.php?id_article=40522

Tons of pictures can be seen on our Facebook page album here : https://www.facebook.com/LuluBerlu.toys/photos_albums
    And let me tell you this : the final Tug Mug figure is even better that the prototype was.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It is a nice figure but I cannot justify paying 200 Euros for an unofficial 6" action figure with no action figures.
    Even the larger 3rd Party Transformers toys do not cost this much. :confused:

12. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Some comments after picking up your Tug Mug...

Echoing my previous comment on Alluro, very good job with Tug Mug. Great work on the head...the sculpt detail is fantastic and the paint detail work is professional grade. The “feet” were a bit of a surprise, as you had not shown that section of the mold yet, but they are really cool and turned out well. The metallic paint finish on the armor, feet, and weapon is pretty convincing (at first I thought the gravity bazooka was made of diecast metal!). I’m curious as to what prompted the decision to make the individual “rivets” in the torso as separate pieces (as opposed to just being molded in). Also, I noticed that the apron is painted. Per your original production specifications, the apron was to be molded in color. What prompted your change?

Overall, most every aspect of the figure shows improvement over Alluro in terms of production quality. In the case of this figure, I feel somewhat more comfortable with your price point. If your next figure (Chilla, I assume?) continues on this improvement track, she’s going to be a killer figure, and well worth the price. Great work!

13. Lulu-Berlu Reg

Dear Fellow Thundercats Fanatic,

First off, my utmost thanks to you for choosing to include my figures in your collection and for the kind compliments as well. I also would like to say I appreciate your cogent and thoughtful feedback with respect to some of the technical aspects of Alluro and Tug Mug and would like to take some time to offer a thorough response:

Alluro, being the first full figure to be produced, did of course pose several unique challenges. Among them was in discerning the best method of achieving as authentic a take on the LJN aesthetic as possible. Your observations regarding some of the choices in paint application resonate some of those which I, in hindsight, also share. The initial thinking was to harken back to the LJN figures which featured typically just arms, legs, head and torso as the cast-parts and to leave the rest to painting.

However, factory-paint jobs with their noxious ****tails are really what are required to best execute such a method and thus, far more so with Tug Mug and infinitely more so with Chilla, I have opted for the method I use on my custom Neo-Vintage MOTU figures wherein I limit paint to only the details whenever and wherever possible. I think it's a worthwhile concession to wind up with a sturdier and more robust end-product.

As these are wholly made by hand, each one is essentially equivalent to something like a properly-colored test-shot in a normal production scenario. As I want my figures to have a considerable degree of, "playability", however, I'm always striving to find ways to shore-up the design. And to that end, Chilla has been tooled so that the only parts which feature paint are her hair, shoulder fur and details on the chest. Her arms and gloves are cast separately as are her legs and boots (the gloves and boots being cast in pure white plastic, as is the torso). The head and arms are cast in her "flesh tone" blue and her legs cast in the deep blue of her tights. Her "moon blades" are cast in orange and icy blue respectively. I say with confidence, she is the most robust to date.

As for Tug Mug, the choice to paint his lower half was a matter of last-minute logistics due to the massive mold it took to produce the tooling/sculpt casting as well as then the final production mold. So the body wound up as a solid piece. I was ultimately comfortable with this however since the apron's paint and sealant proved very durable in tests and I liked the look of it, so it stayed. Another consideration for this was also a last-minute upgrade I made to the "feet" - which required additional molding and tooling but I felt were far superior and more in line with the character's source material than my original prototype's; so I just, "had" to do it! A slight bit of a trade-off but one I think was worth-while. The rivets were a mix of separate and cast-pieces also due to these molding logistics.

Sorry to prattle on, but when I say, "thorough", I mean it! (With luck, I haven't overlooked anything!) Further, I take very seriously the thoughtful commentary of those who support my efforts. I think you'll be continually impressed with these figures and I thank you again for your generous support!

Thundercats, HO!

-Barbarossa of Barbarossa Art customs