Funko, Dorbz, Loyal Subjects, etc = Thundercats Roar

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Roar (2019)' started by Booshman, May 24, 2018.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Does anyone else see a connection between the popularity of all of these super deformed brands and the design style of Thundercats Roar? I've mentioned in other threads that I'm really fed up of these cutified, weirdly proportioned, figures, especially without there being an accurate alternative, but they appear to sell quite well. Now Thundercats Roar is on the way and I think it fits in quite well with the looks of these figures.

2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Although I agree that the original designs are far superior I actually enjoy and welcome the different designs and art styles. I always have the images/video of the original to view, so it doesn't take that away from me. Instagram is absolutely exploded in the last few days with artists all providing their own interpretations of our favorite feline heroes!

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I can imagine ThunderCats Roar action figures that're totally cartoon-accurate. Companies like Funko would certainly not hesitate to capitalize on the new show. :)

4. grumpykat

grumpykat Active Member

Those Funko minis are great for tabletop play. Any doubles end up with a repaint job. So many zombie on the table.

5. Booshman

I can see it happening, but my question is, is one a symptom of the other. Is it a coincidence that all of the toys out now a weird looking like Thundercats Roar, or is Thundercats Roar weird looking because those sort of things sell?

6. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Glass Walker

I tire of all the cutesy crap, it's really played out and very uncreative at this point, if it ever was in the first place.

7. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

I believe that you are a genius on par with Vultureman, but with a much higher rate of success.

This really makes a ton of sense!

You have an already established look that people seem to enjoy, and I think that even if people didn't like the ThunderCats Roar show in itself, they'd collect a toyline that is kitschy and hipster cool to display in their cubicle in the office..........

You know, since someone is always taking away their stapler. (I couldn't resist)

Then there are completists......people wo just collect a toy manufacturer's products, simply for their own merit no matter the property.

If Mondo picks it up, they've arrived, because you have to take out a home loan to buy some their stuff.

8. ExelArts

ExelArts Junior Member

Makes me sick to look at most American cartoon's. At least anime isn't going anywhere

9. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

But they ALREADY made funkos of the Thundercats!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

these are all based on the classic designs!

10. Booshman

That was the point I was making. Deformed, big head, small limbs, huge eyes figures like this look to be quite popular. Is the design of Thundercats Roar connected? Is it because a toy based of it is likely to sell based of these types of figures? I'm just speculating. I am fully aware that Funko have made TCats figs already though. The prices on these things a crazy too. I saw the glow in the dark Mummra sell for $325 the other day.

11. mumm_ra_n_rana

i'm pretty sure most people who buy those things aren't children. they might be buying those things because a lot of the time it's the only way they can obtain figures of characters they like. some of the stuff that's a funko never had an action figure.

12. Booshman

Right, the people buying pops probably aren't kids. The dude making Thundercats Roar says that this is the Thundercats show he wants to see, his words. He also strikes me as the sort of person to have a wall full of funkos and other assorted cutesy deformed tat in his home.

13. mumm_ra_n_rana

but the adult fans of thundercats DON'T want to see a cartoon like this. that is the problem.

14. Booshman

I think we're agruing past one another a bit here. We both want the same thing, a grown up, well written, well animated show, (as do most of the fans I would think). I'm talking about the mindset of the creative team behind this new show and any toy companies involved in the merch. I could see the creators of this show already having lots of merch from other properties in a very similar style to the one they have gone with for Roar . This new show also has designs I imagine the toy comapnies can easily behind. Small, barely articulated, easy to produce, and similar to in style to stuff already proven to sell.

15. mumm_ra_n_rana

so sad. really. me,i wish figma would do some thundercats acrton figures.
    i'm pretty sure my point was while adults buy funkos of shows they like I don't think they want to see a show that looks like funkos and stuff. it's sad how kids are being sold short these days. lol though my nephew likes to get toys that have a lot of parts to them.