FUNKO ThunderCats

Discussion in 'Funko ThunderCats' started by sandrockgundam0, Mar 14, 2017.

1. sandrockgundam0

sandrockgundam0 Berbill

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

It would be nice if they can manage to complete the core cast.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

That would be nice. I have all the others and it just doesn't seem right without Tygra. I would be pretty happy to see the kittens, new Thundercats and mutants upcoming too!

Wilycub likes this.
  4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Funko seems to be truly living up to its name. ;)

5. Sir Greek

Sir Greek Junior Member

Any update here

6. Daremonger

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Funko Tygra.JPG
    Tygra looks fantastic!! Would have been perfect if the costume colors were right.

Sebastiaan and Daremonger like this.
  9. Daremonger

I know, right? His outfit is actually sea green.

10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am ok with it as I actually prefer the grey/blue color scheme

11. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Regardless of the colors used for Tygra's animation cels, the final costume color look on the show appeared more so dark grey and light blue.

There have been exceptions like during Exodus when he gets the costume for the first time and the dark grey was missing. But the rest of the show was mostly grey and light blue

The LJN figure went with green, while modern toys and statues went with the dark and light shades of blue. It always puzzled me why can't any company get Tygra's costume color right by adding the grey, the way it was represented on the show. Between the green and blue, I do prefer the blue color scheme and the Funko Tygra indeed looks great.

Though I don't collect Pop figures, I am glad ThunderCats still has some presence in the collecting world. And I think they will continue to sell well even if they choose to release just two characters each year as exclusives.

Daremonger likes this.
  12. Daremonger

That's very true. :)

13. sandrockgundam0

sandrockgundam0 Berbill

Funko Dorbz found in TRU's system, rumor/theory is this is an exclusive 3 pack based on the other items listed:

[​IMG]

adssse and ThunDerianRoyalGuard like this.
  14. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

Tygra's costume has always been shades of green. That is how it was conceived/designed. That is how the official 80s toys showed it. That is how his character design sheet shows it. That is how the animators colored it. It appeared grayish in the cartoons because of the way in which it was recorded/the equipment used. The camera (probably due to quality) reduced the saturation of the colors a bit and shifted their hue a little towards red. That is why Tygra's green appears gray and many bluish rocks appear purple.

It's cool if you prefer the grayish look over the greenish one, but saying that the grayish one is "the right one" is wrong. And besides the Funko figure isn't even grayish like the cartoon, it is bluish.

15. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I will go after the Tygra POP!, but I have to draw the line at Dorbz :) I'm not a fan. Looking forward to the Youtube reviews: "Found these at Toys 'R' Us, I dont really know these characters, I'm planning to watch the show if its on Netflix, I think they're kinda cool, if you guys know who these characters are, leave it in the comments below..." :D

EDIT: Just Pre-Ordered the Tyga POP!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    KosmoKat, adssse and Wilycub like this.
  16. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Yep, that's likely what happened, unless they intended the final output color to be gray on purpose after they realized Tyga's original colors appeared a little too bright on screen especially when he is standing with the rest of the team.

Fair enough. Since I grew up only watching that color on screen, that's what I personally considered to be the right color. I didn't get to see the merchandise/animation cels until I had access to internet in the late 90s. If it was green on screen, then the grey one would now be distracting to watch on the merchandise.

You're right. The top grey colors are missing and they are blue instead, with grey at the bottom. Still that color scheme works and the figure looks great.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I prefer the green colour scheme. The green shades made his colour more unique amongst the other Thundercats.

KosmoKat and Wilycub like this.
  18. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I will plan on getting all of them if available. Mainly the dorbz for the kids

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  19. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

It seems highly unlikely that the whole color shift was intentional. Many episodes have different color shifts throughout the series, like Mumm-Rana is more yellowish while Excalibur is more reddish. It has nothing to do with Tygra's color. If that really were the case then they would have changed his coloring mid-series. But his colors have remained the exact same throughout all the 130 episodes. The animation cels prove that.

I understand. I too initially thought that Tygra's color scheme was grayish. But in the second season onwards his costume is green even in the cartoons. Look at episodes like Crystal Canyon or Mossland Monster.

Like I said, everybody has the right to decide which color scheme/look they prefer. I was merely referring to the statement that you made about why no company can get Tygra's costume right. In fact they have gotten it right with the green scheme. It is the gray and blue color schemes which are more of a personal choice based on the cartoon. Just like that huge Lion-O statue was based on the Ed McGuinness look (my profile pic). It wasn't the right look. It was just a matter of personal choice. So if someone said why can't all the other toy makers get it right and make Lion-O toys like that particular statue, then that would be an incorrect statement.

Vivek likes this.
  20. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

Me too. The green makes him stand out more. Lion-O is red and blue, Panthro is blue and grey, Cheetara is orange and yellow. That is why they stand out more than Tygra who I feel looks bland in comparison because of his muted gray outfit. The green really pops against his orange hair. Cartons back then were supposed to be more colorful and eye-popping. Remember, they were meant to grab the attention of kids so that they buy the toys. So the more colorful the better.

Mark M likes this.