Future of Bandai Thundercats Toy Line?

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Robear-Coll, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robear-Coll

Robear-Coll Glass Walker

Hey I was reading that there was NOTHING new at toyfair 2012 in new york regarding Thundercats(strange) and that pixel dan was brushed off repeatedly by Bandai when he asked about pretty much anything regarding T-cats. Given that fact, plus CN complete mishandling/RADIO SILENCE on the show airing here in the US, what does this mean for the toy line? And for the show? Does anyone know how sales are for Bandai? (They would probably be better if they didn't completely ignore the fans and didn't treat us like morons, aka paint the joint pegs you lame-os) :mad:

2. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

2011 was the Thundercats year, every convention had plenty of products to showcase, maybe now they decided to lower the tone. The cartoon having stopped to air for about two months definitely has an impact on this

3. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Moleman

That makes no sense to me at all. If it it's a hot ticket item why lower the tone?

I think CN/WB have lost interest with the franchise. As well as Bandai.

4. Fennris

Fennris Moleman

I believed that Bandai was a terrible choice, from the beginning. I expect this toy-line to end with a pathetic whimper....:(

5. Dom

Dom Active Member

I think Ban Dai is a good choice. They are much more determined to make a brand work than most of the big guys and giving it to a smaller company could have been a disaster.

CN is a big kids channel, the problem with it is they have little ability to manage any cartoon series. They pulled the same thing with Transformers Animated, they have no ability to adapt to a mid season break format. The time slot is constantly moving and they dont give it any promotion.

IF the reboot fails I will put a large portion of the blame at CN`s doorstep

My only hope is they will have stuff in the hopper and the fact we got series 2 stuff only a couple of months before means the rest is following. Perhaps they have some stuff ready to go and they don`t want to show it until the episodes have aired? I don`t think for a second that they have not got protos for the new monkian and jakalman

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

All in all I think Bandai have done a good job....but they did make a few mistakes. My biggest complaint is the lack of characters. Maybe the tv show has something do with that, but the frst wave was all the Thundercats and Mumm-ra (also deluxe Mumm-Ra and Grune), they really should have had a few basic villans in the line as well like Sssslithe and some lizards. Even now in the second wave the only new character is Claudis and a deluxe Ssslithe and Tygus. Shouldn't they have made Jaga, Monkian, Jackelman.....the Duelist. But a lot of characters have not shown up in the tv show yet so maybe Bandai are waiting for people to see them on screen before they see them in the shops.
    Looking at the new Playmates Turtles in their basic figure range there is already a nice mix of heroes and villans compared to what Bandai have show for their Thundercats.
    I really hope Bandai keeps the line going, and they release a few more waves of figures. If I can get a modern 6" Tygra, Grune and the muants to complete the main characters I would be happy, then if the line fails or gets canceled so be it. (Also I would like a box set of 4" scale Berbis :liono)

7. Dom

Dom Active Member

My only real gripe with Bandai has been the Thundertank. I understand they had to get the vehicle in at a certain price point, but my god its so under sized.

I agree with the lack of villains, they should have made a Lizard grunt, so that kids could army build. Its also a suprise they didnt do a deluxe Driller

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Exactly its not as if they didn't have a few other characters to produce. I can understand the few months gap between each wave but wave 2 is so disappointing. Wve 3 would need to be a vast improvemnt.

9. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

This. After 2 more Thundercats (Claudus & Tygus) I think the new "mutants" are on their way. But like Dom said, I think they are waiting for those characters to have their cartoon appearances first.

10. Dom

Dom Active Member

Yeah and the break was not Bandai`s idea. God I hate CN, they seem to have far to much control and mess around in others business

11. starrcade89

starrcade89 Vortex Explorer

Ive got nothing but good things to say about the new line, Even the thundertank is awesome, my son loves it and so do i, the only gripe is the tower and its lack of real playability, but it still looks great.

I know theres gonna be new figures coming out over this year with series 2 on CN, dont give up on bandai, there a good company who know what there doing, i bet mattel would have done no better!
    we will all be singing bandai's praises by september i bet.

I still feel lucky to even have another t cats line :thumbsup:

12. Dom

Dom Active Member

Yeah Mattel or Hasbro would have walked by now. Bandai is the only company left that has fight in it, would probably say Playmates is a good second

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree, I HATE Mattel.
    Bandai has done a great job on the toys and I think playmates would have done an equally good job.
    Mattel is one of the worst cmpanies: their products are over priced and the quality control is terrible. I like being able to by Thundercats without double limbs, sloppy paint and warped limbs. Besides my vintage and 200X MOTU and Bravestarr the only current Mattel toys I own are 5 WWE figures....if Jakks had made a Randy Savage and a Hart Foundation/ Loose Cannon Brian Pillman I would own none.

14. starrcade89

Yesterday i went into Eastbourne (UK), i was looking for thundercats, the entertainer toy shop had 1 thundertank and about 6 figures, when i asked where the stocks gone they said they keep selling out and have to re-order.

Im hoping the line does well over here as in the US and the line will keep going and going.:thumbsup:

15. Dom

Dom Active Member

Its very rare that a toy line does better in the UK than the US. Hopefully that is a good omen that we will see the series 2 figures soon

16. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I have no idea what the toys are selling like in my area, as I haven't been in a toy shop since a few weeks before Christmas! I'm not sure whats better/worse to see (no toys or plenty of them?) since on one hand it would be cool to see a sell out and that they are doing well :), but on the other there are a lot of the toys I still need to pick up! :(

17. Dom

Dom Active Member

Down in Bournemouth I can pretty much get whatever I want TC wise. The Kits are probably the hardest to get followed by deluxe Grune and Mumm Ra.

Has anyone in the UK checked with Bandai about if/when we will be gtting new stuff?

18. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

That's great to hear, if the sells are going so well, then the Series 2 is bound to be released. I am still wondering if the Southern Europe will ever get them on toy stores...
    I have asked and the closest to yes i received was 'maybe on Easter' still i don't know.Any other Europesan fan? Italian or French?

19. starrcade89

Grune is harder to find, there was 2 in brighton tru when theres 5 of all the others, tons of thundertanks.

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Moleman

I agree. They were a bad choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.