Future of Bandai Thundercats Toy Line?

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Robear-Coll, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

I stand my view that this is an issue with Bandai.

There are 3 cities within 25 miles of my home, as such, there are 4 Wal-Marts, 2 Targets, and 2 K Marts within 25 miles of me. Neither K Mart has had any TCat stuff. Both Targets started carrying stuff around Christmas, and even then it is only part of wave 1.2 only (no Wave 2 stuff and no Tower, racers, cannon, Panthro, Cheetara, or 6 inch modern) but they do have 6 inch classics. The biggest Wal-Mart has not gotten anything yet, the 2nd biggest had stuff at Christmas not not since. The other 2 have most stuff, but still missing all deluxe, and Wave 2 Claudus, Mumm-Ra, Storm Charger, and 6 inch Tygra and Cheetara.

I had to go 60 miles North to a Wal-Mart to get the 6 inch Cheetara and the Storm Charger. I had to go 40 miles East to finish the variation packaging for the 6 inch modern Wave 1 (CN logo and non-CN logo) at a K Mart, both versions of the claw shield and sword role play toys at a Wal-Mart, etc.

And I would have to go 100 miles South or 150 miles West before finding any major retailers in those directions.

But if I go that far or farther, every Wal-Mart, K Mart, Target, and Toys-R-Us has some selection at least.

My GUESS is that Bandai is only keeping major cities well stocked. Smaller cities seem to be getting the left-overs. And rural areas are stuck with nothing. At least that is my observation from my area and travels since September.

2. Michael

Michael Mutant

Mcss aerocoupe, I live in england so things are slightly different for us (we don't even have wave 2 yet!!) And I agree that Bandai have made a royal **** up of the distribution and promotion, and I think you may be right with your guess about keeping certain places stocked; it has been ridiculous and as a company someone should be getting fired for how they managed the line, but the fact remains that the toys are still popular, where the toys ARE, they seem to be disappearing off the shelves quite quickly and selling well. Even ordering direct from Bandai they have had certain figures sell out quite often before restocking again.
    Merged Post:
    Maybe there are some collectors who are waiting, that's fine. The line will continue to sell when they decide to jump in. But there are other collectorsn fans and let's not forget kids, who are buying them right now.

My guess is they'll come off clearance at some point. The majority of clearances here in the UK at least are part of larger sales and promotions, such as Argos' recent Easter sale (which is still running) and includes most other toys such as power rangers and ben 10 too, so the clearance on this side of the pond are no reflection on the cats popularity, in fact it may help sales as I personally think they have come down to a reasonable price that more people can afford (which is a significant factor in the current recession filled climate). But I think they'll come off clearance eventually.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  3. Thunderbee

Thunderbee Junior Member

No fears...Here is the scoop...

I keep hearing the same complaints about stores and what they do or do not have in-stock. Its causing fears that are unfounded regretfully. Here is some info for everyone to help to chill, relax and enjoy a brief recovery for our bank accounts while MORE product comes out.

1. Waves typically follow this pattern (not ALWAYS): Major retail release (Walmart, TRU, etc.), then Secondary Stores (Comic Book stores, BBTS, etc.). Then, the second WAVE/Update hist Secondary stores FIRST. Thats Why we see the Series 12 Deluxe and Tygra 6" hitting online non-chain/brick-and-mortar FIRST.

2. As many have mentioned, Bandai dropped the ball by announcing product TOO EARLY for series 2 and then people got scared when Toyfair 2012 had nothing. Everything is on-schedule. NOT late. Two release: Fall/Winter, then late Winter/Spring... Its now mid-spring, and series 2 is trickling in AS IT SHOULD! All good.

3. Store Chains have the OPTION what to carry, if to carry it and WHEN to put it on shelves. Target CHOSE to take Series 1 ONLY... And LATE in the game at that, but ALL of Wave 1 except 6" New styles... Their choice. Walmart has 3 SCALES of stores. Larger ones (Supercenters) got all wave 1, wave 2 and classics/vehicles and playsets right off the bat. Mid Range stores got series 2 LATE! and have yet to see Storm Chargers and NEWER 6" figures... Smaller ones oddly have it all now! Weird Things at Wall-world. But Walmart ALSO chose NOT to carry the Deluxe Series AT ALL!

4. Line Revisions... Nothing New. Hasbro has done it for 20 years! Bandai releases a line/wave... Then RE-releases the SAME WAVE with revisions. Sometimes with change in how many are packed in a case, and often, putting 1 or 2 NEW figures in the same line. Tygra was NEVER MEANT to come out when 6" Cheetara came out. Tygra in reality is not due out until mid-spring.

5. Packing ratios. Figures or vehicles are rarely packed evenly. One figure (IE: Claudus) is usually packed 1 per case when others (more popular figure like Lion-O... Per Bandai) get 2 or 3 per case. Odd thing was, we had a REVISION and CASE PACK issue with the Storm Charger. First wave wav Thundertank only. Next was Tank AND Charger in the same case (1 each). Thus even HUGE stores link Walmart DID get them, but having only 1, it FLEW off the shelves QUICK (thats how I got mine...Was there when the case opened).

6. Clearance! Its been almost 8 months! WOW, since the line has been released. We actually ha:lionove a LOT of product out there. TONS! LITERALLY! TWO sizes of figure in TWO WAVES, 4 Classics figures in 2 sizes, 2 large Vehicles, 3 small vehicles, one MECH (Armor of Omens), 4 role-play items (2 each size), Figurine/Chibi set, A Deluxe line with "action features" and even EXCLUSIVES (Target pack)... And MORE on the way! So, there is ALOT there to be clearanced out! Totally NORMAL... And great for those who cant find Series 1 Panthro for example! Or a great way to buy EXTRAS!!!

7. Restocking... Most chains DO NOT order MORE unless they have holes on their shelves. To do that, they Clearance out stuff, or send it to clearance retailers like ROSS, Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Big Lots... HOLES! That or we go buy more!

Thats pretty much it up there... Explanations. We have a LOT of product! Why are we complaining about not having enough? Watch for SDCC (Comic Con) to have more NEW Bandai stuff... Unless, Bandia lets the cat out of the bag EARLY AGAIN... Either way, I am happy! My wallet needed a break. And besides, we got the Mezco Mumm-ra coming out soon... The Elusive 6" Tygra nad the Deluxe Series 2 Panthro and Slythe.. Oh, and Panthro's nun-chucks! Not too shabby, eh?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  4. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

Sorry, but the biggest Wal-Mart near me has gotten nothing, and I go to that one more than the other 3 combined. The smallest 2 now have most of it now. If you could take the 2 smallest ones and combine them, they would still be smaller than the biggest one.

So not all Supercenters have gotten everything immediately. The biggest one near me still has nothing, not even empty pegs with item labels to indicate they had or will have anything. And only half of the ones near me have gotten anything thus far.

5. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Are you an insider for Bandai?

6. Michael

Michael Mutant

Even if he/she is they are still speaking with more rational common sense than many people who are screaming 'the line is doomed'. Its doing well people! just enjoy the fact we have thundercat toys again and look forward to wave 3 which I'm hoping will be immense!

7. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

So because he's saying things you want to hear he is speaking more rationally and with common sense? Funny how that works. :D

The line isn't doing well. Matthew Mercer told us that himself, it's confirmed. Cartoon Network moved the show to Saturday in order to get more children watching and buying toys. The problem is most kids won't be able to find anything since most shelves are empty. Having product on the shelves while new episodes are airing is a big deal and it's just not happening.

8. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

All I know is that the toys support a show and a show supports the toys. When there's no availability in either, the franchise is doomed.

The toys are nowhere to be found and there was never significant availability, while the show had huge gaps within just the first few episodes and halfway through the first season.

It's kind of like the franchise is trying to kill itself in several possible ways. Really bad logistics, non-existent promotion, ignorance by Bandai and bad scheduling by Cartoon Network.

It's really sad because there has been nothing wrong with the show, as even most people who weren't fond about such big changes from the original got along and now love it. Additionally the toys, while not as good as the show, are also decent for children.

9. WilyKatfan

WilyKatfan Thunderian Legend

I think the other toys come out summer like the game and the other DvD. I hope.

10. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

The funny thing is WB has the power to dictate better TV/ Toy revenue for this franchise. I would hope they look at all possibilities to improve this situation. If that means cutting ties with CN (lack of promotions) & Bandai (Elementary toy company lol), to make it a better property I'm all for it!

*My prediction* WB orders another 26 episodes to air bringing back Kids WB, cut ties with Bandai and sign a new toy deal with Spin Masters Toys. We get previews of the figures just in time for Comic Con 2012! (They're probably in the process of doing this now, great minds think alike lol)

11. WilyKatfan

WilyKatfan Thunderian Legend

I sure hope so.

12. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

I sincerely hope WB has that much faith in the franchise to allow it to endure like that.

13. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I saw a picture online of the Jax-ified Panthro figure. He has plain silver, spiky robot arms while his cartoon counterpart has black robot arms, but without spikes. Interesting.

14. Tygra

Tygra Thunderian Legend

Yeah, I don't see how that happened. They are supposedly working with WB to ensure toys are being made for what we're seeing in the show. It seems odd that the new arms don't match.

15. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Today i received my second Thundercast lot from Wave 1. It has taken me awhile to gather them all, but now i've pretty much gotten the whole bunch of Bandai Thundercats released in Europe.

These 4'' grow into me and i like them more and more i see them.They are in scale with the Thundertank and ideal for display. Two thumbs up for the Thunderracer and how great it looks linked with the Thundertank

My New Pieces!:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

16. Blinded No More

Blinded No More Berbill

Wal-Mart has ThunderCats on clearance, including 6-inch Panthro/Cheetara for $12 and Armor of Omens for $20.

17. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Wow I wouldn't mind picking up a 6inch Cheetara for $12! That's only around £6.50 in UK money!

Hopefully we might hear more news by SDCC in regards to the lines future. I know Bandai don't always show product at SDCC, but the last few reveals had been online anyway.

18. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

The normal price was only $15.00 I thought...

19. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Yep, but the UK prices are much more expensive in comparison and we don't even have 6" Cheetara yet! So that price for a UK fan is very reasonable! :D

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Moleman

Yeah no. WB isn't cutting ties with CN creating another Kids WB. Just so you know, Warner Bros./CN are all part of Time Warner. They are part of the same family. They are basically sister companies. WB Animation is basically creating and producing shows for CN at this point. Now networks/channels basically want to do everything in house. Marvel now has their own animation studio now and they are bringing everything in house too. Hasbro is now producing its own shows now for their own network.

Why are the toys not selling? It's pretty simple. Kids aren't watching the show or just don't like the show. Not really appealing to that K-12 demo.

What's the other reason. The toys are disappointing and Bandai makes bad Thundercat toys. Decent prototypes but then horrendous final products that don't want to make you grab these off the shelves when there are some really cool Transformers or GI JOE's a few feet away. Bandai screwed the pooch with this line. Bandai USA was pretty much the absolute worst choice for this toy license. Didn't stand a chance.

This show was basically created to move merchandise. If the merchandise isn't moving, show is going kaput. Plenty of good shows in the history of CN with decent ratings but never continued due to lack of merchandise support or lack of merchandise sales: He-Man, Megas XLR, Sym-Bionic Titan, etc.

If the product isn't selling they aren't going to just turn over the license to a new company. Listen to yourselves, WB is going to say screw CN? That's not going to happen boys, sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.