Future of ThunderCats Toys And A Look Back

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

As I was replying to a PM to Vivek a thought/realisation just crossed my mind.

I liked He-Man and MOTU but I was always more of a Thundercats fan and thought it was superior in every way.
    But I can understand why MOTU has a bigger fan base and has lasted longer than Thundercats. It pains me to say this but I think the He-Man cartoon and toy bios really fleshed out their world and characters better than Thundercats did. The cartoon really fleshed out Third Earth. But the only characters they ever really fleshed out and gave use some back story on was Lion-o, Jaga and Tygra. There is so much more they could have explained to us about Thundera, Plundarr, their lives on Thundera and gave each character a bit more back story and more focussing instead of it pretty much always focusing on Lion-O.
    As for the toys I think the uniformity of the MOTU toys really helped as well as some of the Thundercats figures really differed in quality to each other and their accuracy to their cartoon appearances.

2. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

In the case of MOTU, I guess the character bios were defined well early on as the figures were released before the cartoon. The show built on some of those elements.

For ThunderCats, they were adding character traits and some backstory to their universe as they went along. But yeah it was quite Lion-O centric.

BTW sent message to DST, now to wait and wonder if they will reply and post it on their blog.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Awesome.:thumbsup:

Also as I said MOTU didn't go away, they had the She-ra spin off, the live action movie, the new adventures series then the 2003 series and the current Classics toys. The same can still pretty much be said for Transformers, G.I. Joe and TMNT etc who have kept their fan base and brought new fans in. WB just never seemed interest on doing anything with the licence when they had chance.

4. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Yep, WB acquired the franchise and buried it for over 20 years. A whole generation of people likely grew up not knowing what ThunderCats were nor did they feel the need to connect to the new show.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Exactly. WB has the mind set that the 2011 series was a failure so they will give up on it. So the fans have no idea what's going on.
    He-Man, Transformers, TMNT and G.I. Joe have all had movies and TV shows that were failures but they have a break for a couple years then come back with something new.
    WB need to strike now while the iron is still somewhat hot. Learn from their mistakes and listen to what the fans really want and get a better team on the job.

6. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Right, I hope WB people are occasionally visiting the TCL forums and making notes.

7. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Wonderful thread by the way! This may sound silly but what is "DST"? Thanks

8. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Diamond Select Toys. They designed and manufactured the ThunderCats minimates while Icon Heroes released it as they had the license.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

T-Cat, when you get chance have a look at there various Marvel figures like Juggernaut, Rhino and Abomination etc and just imagine how they could do Thundercats. :D

10. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Yes! Those figures are greatly detailed ;)

I heard of the Revoltech TMNT toys and I have to say those are the best figures as far as accuracy to the show! But I believe the price is $48 which is a steal for a no flaw action figure IMO.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Well they are accurate and do look awesome. I don't think though I could justify $48 for one figure that small though. I owned some Revoltech figures before from some anime shows. They are quite accurate and possible but even with them I didn't think they were worth the price.

12. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

toy lines

I would acquire a thundercats line at pretty much any price point up to $100 per figure....regardless of who is making it....matter, bandai, revoltech....I truly hope that at some point in my lifetime a decent and COMPLETE toy line is released....again i want to stress the great job mattel did with MOTU....they really delivered a tremendous joy to the motu fans...

13. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'd love to see a commemorative "ThunderCats" action-figure line, based on the 1985 and 2011 animated shows, that would celebrate the brand's 30th anniversary.

14. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

I love what Mattel did with the HEMAN classic line. Revivng the old toys in the same exact way. This is what needs to be doen with the LJN Thundercats.

Rerelease the old toys in the same packaging, blister and Toys. Everybody will love them and purchase them

I beleive there is a problem with the holding rights. LJN doesn't exist anymore and WB holds the Thundercats line but the Toys is another matter.

To me a major reason the new show didn't make it was the poor Thundercats 2011Toys quality drawback

15. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't know about people loving them again or there being much of a market for reissues of the vintage toys in todays market. They are good but very dated by todays standards. Truth be told they were even some what basic compared to other toy lines of the 80's in terms of sculpt, TV accuracy and articulation.

One of the 80's toy lines strengths is a real weakness in terms of creating a classics line like MOTUC. All the figures had individual sculpts and no parts reused.

MOTU reused a lot of parts all throughout the line and it is a process they have easily replicated in the Classics line.

16. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

17. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I remember reading that a while back. Neat to find that out!

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes. That's why, when Jakks had the WWE licence to make toys, they made those solid rubber 8" figures of present day superstars to go with the older LJN line of WWF Superstars.

19. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

If it's the same founder with LJN, there's also somewhat of a chance for commemorative figures! :D

20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If only.:rolleyes: Maybe it would be worthwhile contacting Jakks.