Future of ThunderCats Toys And A Look Back

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

I didn't mention Jakks in my article, but one point I did think of them as a possibility when one of my friends (Shantanu, same guy who contacted NECA recently) suggested them to me few months ago about doing new ThunderCats figures.

I have emailed them now, let's see if they respond.

Also DST posted their new Q & A yesterday, but it is all about minimates. I hope they address my question later this month if not by next week.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am some what surprised Jakks haven't pursued getting the licence again.

3. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Jack Friedman passed away in 2010! So I'm not sure how that works.
    Merged Post:
    I also contacted Jakks toys a few years ago! Also contacted Playmates toys and SpinMasters toys (I believe).

The lady who works for Playmates toys said they would look into it by running it past the higher authority! ;)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Hopefully something good will turn up. ;)

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Who exactly did you speak to at Playmates and what department were they in charge of.

6. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Paula Billingsley

Email:
    PBillingsley@Playmatestoys.com

I would have to go through my inbox to find what department she works at! :)

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Her name sounds familiar, I believe I spoke to her once regarding the expected release date for some TMNT products.

8. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Sorry just home from work!
    I posted this March 11,2014:

"Good day!

Would you kind people at Playmates Toys please acquire the master toy license to "ThunderCats"?

I truly LOVE the marketing pitch you gave the "TMNT" since 1988!

The quality of those figures are a master piece for the young/older generation to collect!

The "ThunderCat" franchise is another hot selling merchandise surprisingly not done well in the previous reincarnation, please save us "Playmates Toys" :)

Thank you for your time!"

She replied the same day:

Paula Billingsley <PBillingsley@playmatestoys.com> wrote:

I will forward to the marketing group.
    Regards, Paula Billingsley
    Consumer & Office Services
    Playmates Toys Inc.
    www.playmatestoys.com
    877-612-7136
    310-252-8005

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Personally I wouldn't bank on her passing it on. It would be cool if she did but her reply to me doesn't seem to serious or enthusiastic.

10. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Hello all !

I'm new here...my name is Ricardo and I'm from Brazil.

I am a huge fan of MOTU and ThunderCats and today, I decided to join to you in this awesome forum.

I know most of you don't want Mattel get the TC's license. I understand... sometimes they re-tooling so much...
    But I really can't see another company so ready to bring back this wonderful brand...

Like MOTU, ThunderCats is a a secondary hero brand - i.e. no DC nor Marvel.
    So, what other toy company released almost 160 action figures, besides 6 large figures, 6 beasts, 5 weapons pack, 2 vehicles and a huge playset, every month, in last 6 years and sold exclusively by internet ? Maybe next year we will reach 200 figures !!!
    Ok, I know MOTU is a Mattel's own hero brand...but, intead waste time with Ghostbusters, Voltron or Watchman, they would invest in a big hit like ThunderCats....

I am wondering what would be a TC toy line compatible with MOTUC and made by Four Horsemen....

Thanks !

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Welcome. :D
    As long as they don't pull all the crap they have done with MOTUC I would be more than happy for them to make Thundercats figures.

It would really seem a natural choice for them to make them instead of wasting time on Ghostbusters and Voltron. None of the Ghostbusters looked like the actors and their big Voltron was a disaster in both quality control and design.
    Surely the Thundercats licence can't cost as much Ghostbusters, Back to the Future and Voltron.

12. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Thanks for your kind, Mark M !
    It's a pleasure talk to you since I've been following this fórum for a long time and today I decided to open an account...

Yes, I've been defending ThunderCats Classics line for a long time !
    A few days ago I took the ThunderCats's Lair thread to He-Man.org (of course I registered the thread credits and sent an message to Grizzlor).

Take a look what the MOTU fans said:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?255450-Bandai-no-longer-holds-ThunderCats-license-!

Like me, most of the fans are dreaming to Mattel releases an accurate Classic line...

13. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

What kind of crap did Mattel pull with the MOTUC are you talking about?

I for one think Mattel would put this potential line on the internet for sale and have a subscription. (I hear Mattel was thinking about threatening that subscription He man line, if they didn't get a certain number of orders in by a certain time frame).

Besides the awesome sculpts, I don't think a lot of fans including myself would want Mattel to get the license if they approach it like they are currently doing HE-Man line.

For me whichever company promotes the line the best and I mean commercials so kids want to buy them, along with the play value and look is best IMO. #Playmates

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Well, where to start ;)
    There is the quality control problems of certain figures being released (first He-man and more recently NA Skeletor) with the shoulders on the wrong sides and double limbs like two right legs etc.
    To get the subscriptions they show the 4Horsemen prototypes then they go and change their original designs like Prince Adam who original had a holder for his sword on his back which they decided to remove. Same for NA Skeletor, his prototype looked great then instead of a newly sculpted body then made it with the 'fat' armour and totally spoiled the figure.
    Making certain highly demanded figures for subscription holders only.
    And of course Scott 'Toyguru' Neitlich. His sales pitching claiming the line was in bad shape and scare mongering fans into buying more subscriptions to keep the line going. How can they really class the MOTUC line as successful when all the fans are having to buy multiple subscriptions to keep it going?
    Then of course instead of making characters people want they claim the tooling will cost too much yet spend more tooling new parts for figures people don't even care about. Might Spector being a prime example. And numerous characters based on unmade prototypes and characters that had brief appearances in the comic and cartoon.
    MOTUC rant over.
    Merged Post:
    They seem enthusiastic about it. If they stick to core characters and don't mess about with unwanted characters the line would do well.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  15. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Just imagine...After 'Justice League' and 'The Avengers', what about ThunderForce turns reality ?

Since all three brands were created by Rankin/Bass and probably are owned by Warner Bros nowadays, it's possible we can see a few characters from SilverHawks and TigerSharks if someone release a 'Classics' new toy line - specially if the release would be in 'waves'...

At least, it would be better main characters of SilverHawks and TigerSharks than obscure characters of ThunderCats....

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I recently seen a couple episodes of Silverhawks and Tigersharks and from what I seen I wasn't impressed. But if they were included in a Thundercats Classics line it might help sales. As much as I disliked what I say Silverhawks some of the character designs were pretty cool.

17. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

It happend to me when I watched Blackstar after almost 30 years !

Of course my vision today changed so much as I was a child....

18. Daremonger

Hey, Glasslite. How's the "ThunderForce" Facebook page coming along? :)

19. Glasslite4ever!

Glasslite4ever! Berbill

Pardon me ?

20. Daremonger

I'm sorry. I thought you were a user named thunderianroyalguard; he came up with the idea of a "ThunderForce" toy line.