Future of ThunderCats Toys And A Look Back

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Posted this two days ago, but got lost during the site move. Re-posting it now,

http://www.artasylum.com/2014/10/ask-dst-258-miscellaneous-monsters/
    October 27, 2014

[​IMG]

Vivek B.
    It’s the 30th anniversary of ThunderCats in 2015, and besides the 80s toy line there hasn’t been a proper new classic line of figures based on ThunderCats. The minimates from DST and Icon Heroes were very cool. Now that Bandai don’t have the license anymore, any chance DST will consider doing 6 inch figures of ThunderCats?

DSTChuck: That’s a cool idea, but I don’t think its something we’re looking at at this time. Interesting note: DST pitched WB on making a classic and reimagined line of Thundercats before even the new animation happened – around 10 years ago!

So there we go, they are not considering it right now. But they pitched the idea about 10 years ago and no surprise..WB passed on it :x.

2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I totally would love for 2015 to be a huge year for "ThunderCats." ;)

3. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

I'll also add to Vivek's post...

I am an avid minimates collector and know a lot about that world. So...DST didn't actually hold the license, that was Icon Heroe's. DST simply manufactured them. SO yeah, unfortunately DST cant and wont do anything with the Thundercats license, it would have to be Icon Heroe's.

Trust me, we bugged Chuck and Zach to death about making more thundercats minimates, but they always came back with the same answer. "they don't hold the license, Icon Heroes does"

So unfortunately, there are not going to be anymore Thundercats Minimates.

4. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

I doubt that Icon Heroes still has a ThunderCats license. From what I can tell, WB puts a time limit on all their licenses.

5. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Thanks Kyle, yeah I found out about Icon Heroes holding the license when DST addressed this in their Q & A earlier this year.

But just cause Icon Heroes has/had the minimates license, doesn't mean DST can't still pursue it. The fact they went after the license 10 years ago, means they had plans to revive the toy line.

Of course like they said, currently they have no active plans to go for the ThunderCats toy license. So now it depends on Mezco or some other toy company.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If DST had the licence and made toys about 10 years ago it would have been pretty cool and would maybe have helped get more interest for the franchise. But on the plus side the figures DST were making back then in their select line were pretty good but some were still very statuesque. Their is a drastic difference to the figures they have been making the last couple years that aside from having great sculpts now have great articulation.

What about 'Bif Bang Pow'? After the failed mid 90's Flash Gordon cartoon they released a line of movie figures a few years ago and are set to be releasing a 3.75" line based on the movie.
    They are even making Battlestar Galactica, Venture Bros and Big Bang Theory figures. Surely Thundercats toys would sell to Thundercats fans a lot better than the toys to fans of those shows.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  7. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Guess that confirms it again, NECA won't do it. Just like DST, they also tried it more than a decade ago.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 18, 2014
  8. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Bollox. Wish they would elaborate on the variety of reasons bit.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Another piece of good Thundercats news....:mad:

10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Bummer. Sure sounds like WB is difficult to deal with.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Maybe we should contact WB for answers.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The future for Thundercats is looking rather bleak.
    WB won't give out any information to fans and seem very reluctant to let companies produce items most fans actually want and no because of WB none of the best current toy companies want to touch the licence.

13. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Maybe something is in the works already and WB wants to keep it on the hush until the right time!

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It is a nice thought but I very much doubt it.
    I just hope they get the right people and company working on Thundercats next time.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  15. Daremonger

You and me both, Mark. With "ThunderCats"' 30th birthday fast approaching, Warner would've done something really epic with the franchise.

16. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

I doubt that WB even remembers they hold the TC license. All they care about is their DC IPs. Batman, Batman, Batman and maybe Superman.

WB is a "play-safe for pure profit" corporation for the biggest part, unlike the Walt Disney Company who have a strategy of experimenting while milking their franchises.

For that, I like Disney more. They never ignored a single email I sent them (e.g. regarding the Gargoyles DVD releases), replying with honest and analytical information.

17. Daremonger

WB still holds the license; they just don't wanna do anything even remotely exciting with it. :(

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think the biggest problem is that WB a film and TV company holds the rights to Thundercats instead of a toy company like Mattel, Playmates or Hasbro. If they owned it they would be cranking out merchandise and trying new things with it.

19. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Exactly. Would be pretty incredible if some company outright buys the whole franchise rights from WB, similar to TMNT being acquired by Nickelodeon.

20. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

WB won't let that happen! Lets wait until 2015!