Future of ThunderCats Toys And A Look Back

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

January 23rd is the big day for "ThunderCats," too.

2. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

I Do hate to crap on a joy parade (I mean I REALLY hate to). But This smells an awful lot like "we bought a licence we thought would be easy to market, but isn't, so rather than selling it to a smarter company we'll kill it so no one else can make money off it either". I hate that this is a thing. But it's a thing. If there is any hope it will be cued up on that anniversary there, though. And I hope I'll see some fun stuff from the folks here then too^^. We don't always have to turn to the owner of the license for good fanfics/fan stuff

Last edited: Dec 2, 2014
  3. Daremonger

In 2016, the 2011 TV series will be five years old.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yes some companies do acquire licences then not do anything with them so others cannot. In some ways much like WWE purchased WCW and other promotions video libraries. Or how Hasbro own various properties like M.A.S.K., Centurions and Gobots etc.

I hope WB have something to announce for the anniversary or we can safely say they have zero interest in doing anything soon.

To mark the Thundercats anniversary I will be working on a large painting of the classic TV show. Hopefully some collector purchases it. :thumbsup:

5. Daremonger

That's awesome, bro!

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Thanks man, we will see how it turns out. It's just going to be a scene from one of my favourite episodes. :liono

7. Daremonger

As long as it turns out great, that's all that matters.

8. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

After my initial email to them, I was told my suggestion would be passed on to the right people. But I never got any other follow up email.

Though MOTU fans didn't always get affirmative answers, there was still that regular level of interaction between fans and the company.

And I think we can now likely expect the same from him again, including changes to their social media interaction.

Action Figure Insider » AFi Exclusive Scott “Toy Guru” Neitlich Goes BIG at His New Gig!

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Interesting.

I wouldn't be that interested in the large scale figures though. Prefer around 6" scale.

Good luck to him and I hope he does some good work on the various lines.

I don't know if anyone on here is into wrestling or knows anything about it (I used to be into it), but it seems Jakks are no longer working on TNA products. Hopefully they invest their time and resources into a better toy line.

I recently seen some of those World of Nintendo figures and they look very nice, Link from the Legend of Zelda especially.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
  10. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Does that mean he is working with Mr. David Vonner and didn't some mentioned he said the company he is going to work for which "Head Hunted" him, had a new toy license acquired?

Interesting...

So he is now the Director for boys action figures and collector lines: (bottom of the page is a listing of the lines and more to be announced!)

http://thefwoosh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=92631&sid=fd509a88173702d96222f2bbc62a84a0&start=15

On a side note, how is it possible for Jakks Pacific to do TMNT collector stuff while Playmates Toys own the license as well?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2014
  11. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

While Playmates holds master toy license, other TMNT products have been licensed to other companies as well. DST does TMNT busts and these products from Jakks are jumbo figures more like statues.

Looks like Jakks is focused on three different sizes of jumbo figures. Man, I hope they have other new licenses planned in the 6" range.

Now we need to get Scott to pursue the ThunderCats license.

Collectors will buy maybe one or two jumbo figures, but most won't buy dozens of them due to its sheer size and the space it will occupy. There is not much collecting possible in that scale.

12. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Thanks Vivek for clearing that up!

I would imagine Scott already had pursued the license once he had permission if not we need to email or talk to him via social media to do so! :)

13. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Yeah apparently he did try, but back then his priority was always MOTUC, hence ThunderCats was not really taken into full consideration.

Jakks likely will be getting some new franchise licenses next year, so we need to reach out to him and ask him if he and Jakks will consider to pursue the ThunderCats license.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I guess all we can do is wait and see what is announced. Hopefully they will have something interesting to show at New York Toy Fair. :liono:thumbsup:

15. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

It´ll be cool if some company can release the figures we didn`t get from the 20011 line.

16. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Yeah let's hope so. If not a single company announces new ThunderCats merchandise on its 30th Anniversary year, it's going to be quite a bummer.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

It really would be an awful let down for the fans and it would show just how much WB are interested in the licence.

18. Daremonger

Hear, hear.

19. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

20. Daremonger

I didn't hear about that.