Future of ThunderCats Toys And A Look Back

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Vivek, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Well not call really, buy mostly email customer service once which isn't really ridiculous as you are trying to make it sound. But yes, they won't pursue the license based solely on fan actions.

Still voicing interest and letting them know the existence of the forum where there is pre-existing fanbase gives them a glimpse of the potential fan demand.

But it's all pointless anyways, so let's continue to be as passive as we can be.

2. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

There is nothing wrong with emailing customer service, Vivek. But my point behind my comments are that is must be done on a much larger scale. Emails from 100 or so fans who are active on this site regularly in a grand scheme of things, is not that many to a company looking to produce a line of action figures. For example, for a tv show pilot to possibly get picked up it needs AT LEAST 500,000 views of the pilot episode. Now let's shrink that number for a smaller toy company interested in picking up a license. I would imagine in order to make money they would have to sell between 1,000 - 5,000 or even 5,000 - 10,000 units for it to make financial sense on making a small number toy run. If i remember correctly, the Mumm-Ra Hard Hero statue wasnt even able to get 250 pre-orders and that and the rest of the line was cancelled. The Icon Heroes Cat's Lair statue is limited to 600 and hasnt been able to sell that many in 2 yrs and is still available via Icon Heroes main distributor. As are the mini-mates that they can't seem to get rid of. The quality on all of these items is some of the highest that any Thundercats items have ever seen. We as a fan base need to start stepping up and showing support. I may be wrong but i would guess as to there being a solid 200 die hard fans out there that would buy anything Thundercats. ( that number may be generous) and that is where the problem lies. Thundercats fandom as a whole needs to grow in numbers and since WB is doing nothing to make that happen, we have to take it upon ourselves. We are going to need to be the ones that get fellow fans the news and the latest and to get people excited for Thundercats again. And our best bet would be targeting the millions of fans it had with the original series. If you get those fans excited more and younger fans will follow. You may look at it as being passive but i think, we as main fan base/ die hard fan base, need to go about things in a different way if we are ever to get Thundercats to the pinnacle of fandom that it once was years ago. To get things like action figure lines and Dvd movies requires a greater approach than 100 or so people writing emails. Don't get me wrong, doing that as part of a bigger plan then yes that is effective. But the numbers just have to be greater. And that would require Thundercats fans young and old, of both series, from this site and any and all others uniting as a solid large fan-base focused and working towards on a specific goal.

3. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Oh totally, I agree. There is no way a company can recoup their costs especially for tooling if they are not selling figures in thousands.

And as you said we need go about other ways as part of a bigger plan with getting the fanbase to rally support. I expressed similar notions early on this thread. Yet it also needs to start somewhere with getting the companies to notice the fanbase here too, even though we are a small percentage in hundreds compared to the thousands needed.

For companies it's ultimately about numbers and sales, but getting in touch with the fanbase should be a priority if they want to know what most of the fans want. Also if not for contacting DST, I would never know that the company attempted a license 10 years ago but couldn't do it cause of WB.

All the prior examples of merchandise were again not action figures, which is why they never took off that well. I am sure there are at least more than 1000 or even 2000 fans around the world who would buy ThunderCats figures, but whether that number can reach to 10,000 needs to be seen.

And you're right about the fan base coming together working towards a specific goal. And currently TCL is doing a great job of keeping the legacy of both the old and new series alive in many ways.

For now I really don't see WB coming up with a new series or movie anytime soon. It needs to be the initiative from a toy company to make figures, despite no active media presence right now. Perhaps exclusive to adult collectors and online sales initially only through pre-orders, so that if they don't meet their quota they won't have to risk with a loss.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I still maintain that had action figure companies released TOYS they would have been a lot more successful than statues.
    Does anyone honestly think that a line of MOTU, TMNT, Marvel/DC superheroes statues would sell well if their was no actual toys available on the market and they had no media presence at all in 20 years? I can tell you they certainly would not sell that well just like the Thundercats statues.

5. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Initiative from a toy company? Ha! I want us to stick to the facts here, Mezco is the only line that was doing good that fans really like due to their were available in retails, online and had accurate sculpts.

The same can't be said for Icon heroes, Pop Culture toys and etc. due to the expensive price.

Also you said that DST tried years ago for the license but ultimately were denied! I understand why because they do mostly collectors stuff and have no marketing tactic whatsoever for any lines they do...

You say you want an adult collectors site for online sales like MOTCU well that line did pretty good thanks to the FANS and Toyguru for his passion but as always the toy company had the final say. I wanted to get into that line but didn't want to because it simply not sold in retails. For me there is so many products of He man or ThunderCats out there but if I don't see it in retail it will not be bought.

In conclusion, TMNT products are doing well because they are sold at retail for an affordable price/decent product with the support of a successful kid friendly show. (Neither 200x He-Man or 2011 ThunderCats were that= doomed series).

Adult collectors support is amazing and all but toys are generally for the younger audience, so if the company can't satisfy the younger audience it eventually means the adult collector side of things will cease a well.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

DST have ran their Marvel Select line since about 2002 and it is still doing well.
    The Mezco statues/figures were good but Lion-O's sculpt was really off.
    The current 2012 TMNT toys are not all that good. The 4x Turtles yes but every other character in the lines suffers from poor sculpting, minimal articulation and minimal paint applications making it quite hard for them to justify their prce, but at least it has a great TV show to support it.

7. Vivek

Vivek Great Void Dweller

Someone asked Mezco about ThunderCats and they replied. I then followed up.

[​IMG]

After their 1:12 scale Batman figure, they have now previewed the comic Judge Dredd figure. Both look great. They might continue with more figures in their One:12 Collective line with new licenses and existing licenses as well.

They favorited my tweet about the 6" ThunderCats line and favorited another tweet where it was suggested One:12 ThunderCats would be amazing.

Could be just Tygra or could be something else too.

8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Let's hope they have something to show at NYCC.

9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I am a big fan of the Mezco line. I would be thrilled if we at least got Tygra!

10. cgdc76

cgdc76 Active Member

"whipping" has got to be a reference to Tygra! I really hope they reveal something soon. I need them to make him at least, but would be happy to see some more villains as well.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Let's just hope it's not another statue. ;)

12. T-Cat

T-Cat Mutant

Mezco has the BEST T-Cats figures to date by far!! This is great news....

Do you know what happen to the ThunderCats Prototype Z model kits we were suppose to get from last year?

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Kind of. Mumm-Ra had a very good sculpt. Lion-O's head sculpt was very off and his body looked a little skinny. I never owned Cheetara or Panthro to inspect them but in terms of accessories yes.

I know it's not likely but I would so love it if Mezco were doing Thundercats in their 1:12 line.