Game: Name That Error!

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by ButterflyBoy, May 28, 2018.

1. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

Yikes! So sorry, I've had a bit of drama IRL keeping me from here but all is well now.

Before I post a new error, I did want to discuss the one I "solved" regarding the window's of Cats Lair. I agree with thezaxfactor that the window in the middle of the lair we are talking about is likely meant to be the dining room. But, the designers or animators really seemed to literally lose perspective and scale in this case, which is so unusual when we look at how painstaking and intricate the rest of the lair's design and appearance has been throughout the show.

The obvious problem is that the window as seen on the inside of the dining room does not match the size or design of the window as seen outside. I'm not sure where to start. Thezaxfactor helped me to realize that the windows of the council chambers were indeed shown on the exterior of the lair. Some of the time, anyhow; Other times that area is just dark or otherwise lacking in detail (which is how I never noticed it) - but for the most part we can see the same window pattern on the inside and out. But when we do see it on the outside, it is relatively small and the interior is rather massive.

That's all well and good until we look at the window above, which on the exterior is shown to be WIDER than the windows below for the council chamber. But when we see the window in the dining room...it is very, very small.

I'm wondering if any other members have anything to add that I am missing, here. Or am I just having some sort of brain fart?

2. ButterflyBoy

Here is a new error - there are five obvious animation errors in this single screen shot. List them all to answer the question correctly.

[​IMG]

3. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

1. Lion-o's belly is blue.
    2. Wilykat's outfit is all yellow, missing the brown section.
    3. Wilykat's missing the white hair on his head.
    4. Cheetara's right leg is spotted ratehr than covered with the orange leotard.
    5. Wilykat's face misses the white part? Can't say it for sure. Could also be Lion-O missing the Claw Shield, but that could be due to perspective.

4. ButterflyBoy

Haha! The error on Cheetara's leg is an error I actually hadn't...spotted :x3

I'm not sure about Wily-Kat's face, either. At this distance I wouldn't be that nit-picky anyhow. But you got all the other errors, plus one I hadn't seen. So I'm calling it your turn! :biggrin

BTW, the other errors I saw were; Panthro's midsection is colored dark blue and the top of Tygra's "boot section" is colored incorrectly.

5. Tygra_Rules

Yay!

Can you believe I noticed something strange in Tygra's boots but couldn't tell what it was? I'm used the mistake in his boots to be closed ankles and toes, but I noticed it wasn't that and kept thinking "something isn't right there" LOL.

I also noticed something strange in Panthro, but again couldn't tell what it was.

Ok, here's the new error: In "Togther We Stand", Lynx-O is lying on the floor of the Main Control Room (or wehatever it's called) in the Tower of Omens being aided by Pumyra and Lion-O when Tygra and Benagli enter with a big braille board and take it to where they are and lay it next to them. What's wrong with that sequence?

6. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Tygra and Bengali switch positions. As the door opens, Tygra is on the left, but in the next shot, he's on the right.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  7. Tygra_Rules

You got it, Liam! It's just a split second that Tygra is ion the left and Bengali on the right before the next shot shows them swapped.

Your turn, Sir.

8. LiamABC

OK, here's one. I've had this in mind for a while, but this game being one that I'm not so good at, this is my first opportunity.

This one isn't a visual error, more a memory thing:

At the end of Thundercubs, they send the young Tygra, Cheetara, Panthro, Snarf and Snarfer into the Cave Of Time to get them all back to their normal ages. Now apart from the whole issue of why they all emerged at the same point when they're all different ages, the characters missed a real golden opportunity. I don't mean the chance to relive their youths, or anything that would have changed the dynamic of the show at all, but it is a whopper all the same. What opportunity did they allow to let slip through their fingers?

9. Tygra_Rules

Get Bengali inside and let him age till he died? LOL (j/k)

Seriously, could it be getting some of the Thundrilium Tygra detected lying in the Cave in "Trouble with Time"?

Wilycub, ButterflyBoy and LiamABC like this.
  10. LiamABC

That's it precisely. In that episode Cheetara moved too fast for the cave to affect her. Even if it did just have a minimal effect on her in the brief time she was there, then her rejuvenated self would still have a good shot at finding that thundrillium and maybe getting some of it out. Your turn!

11. Tygra_Rules

Thank you Liam! Speaking of the Cave of Time, what was the error concerning it in "Time Switch"?

More than an error, it's something odd that kind of breaks continuity.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  12. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Got a new one TR?

13. LiamABC

He did give a new one. It's just a real stinker!

OK, here's my guess. The rope around Lion-O's waist should have decayed but it didn't.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    Tygra_Rules likes this.
  14. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Oh yeah, I should have read his last post properly.

LiamABC likes this.
  15. Tygra_Rules

Nope.

It has to do with something seen in a previous episode.

16. LiamABC

Well the only prior episode to feature that cave was Trouble With Time. You could argue the transformations are animated differently, when Tygra ages in the first episode we just see his body decaying, while with Lion-O there's bright lights (and I think with them all at the end of Thundercubs).

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  17. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Is the error anything to do with the size of the cave's entrance? It's bigger in "Trouble with Time" the entrance appears to be quite big while in "Time Switch" it is much smaller.

And the glow thing that Liam mentioned. In "Trouble with Time", Tygra ages without there being any fancy effects. In "Time Switch", Lion-O ages with a bright green glow around him. While in "ThunderCubs Part 5" the "cubs" age with a bright blue glow around them.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  18. LiamABC

I did wonder about the entrance size myself, but that seemed more like an animation glitch rather than a continuity thing.

19. Tygra_Rules

It was not the Cave's entrance.

I didn't think of the glowing effect while aging, but that surely was an odd thing, so I think it should count. You're up Liam!

What was in my mind was this: In "Time Switch", when Panthro suggested they should take Lion-O inside the cave, Tygra refutes that they're too old and the Cave would kill them, BUT Cheetara had no problem getting inside in "Trouble with Time" to take Tygra out. She even stopped for a little chat with him! (If you remember, Tygra looked at her and told her to get out before the Cave traps her as well, and she replies she's too fast for the cave before taking him away). So why couldn't Cheetara get Lion-O inside this time?

The Cave of Time, although appearing only in a handful episodes ("Trouble with Time", "Time Switch", "ThunderCubs"), arises too many questions and inconsistencies. The glowing thing you've mentioned being one, Cheetara being another, but also:
    • Were Panthro, Tygra or Cheetara really too old to get Lion-O in the Cave? I mean, how far or for how long would thay have to stay? Tygra was almost half an episode there and didn't die! I don't think getting in for a couple of minutes to drop Lion-O would have killed them. And then they could have gone to the Geyser of Life anyway.
    • How deep did someone has to get to start aging? In "Trouble with Time", Tygra get in a fair length before starting aging, while it seems Lion-O stayed almost at the entrance.
    • How didn't Cheetara age at least 2 days when she got in?
    • Why didn't Tygra turn around and leave just like Lion-O and the ThunderCubs did?
    • In "ThunderCubs", Panthro, Tygra, Cheetara, Snarf and Snarfer all got inside the Cave and they all aged at the same rate up to their actual ages. If they stayed for the same time, they all should have got to exactly the same age.
    • Why didn't the kittens ever think of going inside to become adults? They more than once showed their desire to be respected and treated like adults, that would have been a good chance (and a great episode IMO).
    • Not to say, Lion-O should have got out completely naked from there LOL.
    • When Lion-O and the ThunderCubs got in, how did they know the exact moment to get out? And while they walked to the exit they should have gotten a little older than their original selves.
    And many other things that escape my mind right now. I know many of the answers have to do with writers and plots, but the Cave of Time could have its own thread in this forum ;)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    LiamABC likes this.
  20. LiamABC

Damn it, I should have got that about Cheetara! But you're right, the Cave Of Time is dodgy. Another question about it - Willa knows how it works, that people age rapidly in it, but then she says that nobody has ever made it out of there. So if nobody has ever made it out of there to speak of what happens inside, how does Willa know?

I'll think of a new question later.

Tygra_Rules likes this.