Game: Name That Error!

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by ButterflyBoy, May 28, 2018.

1. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Hahaha! Good point! Have never thought of that.

2. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

I don't mean to barge in and interrupt this game, but I am sensing that the last couple of questions don't really count as "errors".
    @LiamABC said that the Thundercubs not using the opportunity of being inside the cave of time to grab some thundrillium and @Tygra_Rules said that cheetara not dropping lion-o into the cave of time were both errors.

To me these seem more like opinions or rather "how I would have done it". I agree with both of you that these are indeed better scenarios than the ones we got in the cartoon. But that's what they are "better alternate scenarios" and not errors that @ButterflyBoy meant when he started this game.

ButterflyBoy likes this.
  3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

They are errors because they were things the writers forgot.

4. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

In your opinion, unless you can point me to an interview in which the writers specifically said that they forgot those things. You are assuming that the writers forgot something. Maybe they didn't want it done that way? Maybe the Thundercubs at that moment didn't remember that they should get the thundrillium? (they didn't rememeber a lot of things about their adult selves, so they didn't remember that there was thundrillium in the cave). Maybe they didn't think it was worth the risk? Maybe their stock of thundrillium was plentiful? etc etc.

There are numerous reasons one can give for such things and thus they cannot be considered definite errors. If one goes by your reasoning, then pretty much EVERYTHING in EVERY EPISODE can be considered an error. Why didn't Jaga warn Lion-O about every single danger/villain every single time? Error. Why didn't Lion-O use the Sword of omens to fix everything all the time? Error. etc etc.

ButterflyBoy likes this.
  5. LiamABC

Lion-O pretty much did use the Sword of Omens to fix everything all the time. That's one of the biggest problems with the whole show.

As for Jaga - or indeed the sword - failing to warn him about things, well, it's kind of gimmicky that they do anyway, and it is too general a bracket to cover in this thread.

And now I did have a poser to put to the group but I've forgotten it. I'll try and remember it during the course of the day.

6. LiamABC

OK, I've remembered what it was now.

In "Fond Memories", Mumm-Ra creates a variety of characters and their accessories in paintings to entrap Lion-O. Most of these behave in exactly the same manner as they did in their original appearances, but there is one that behaves very differently indeed. Who/what, and how?

7. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Is it that Safari Joe was shown to be a coward, but now he's back full of bravado again?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2018
  8. LiamABC

No - apart from anything else he's got his gun in his hands again so that explains that. No, this is something that is completely different.

9. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Is it the Warp Gas? When Lion-O was exposed to it "Slaves of Castle Plun-Darr", he started feeling angry but in "Fond Memories" he started feeling scared.

LiamABC likes this.
  10. LiamABC

That's the one! Yes, it's the same gas, so why does it have two such radically different effects? Your turn Wilycub!!

11. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I can't say I disagree, because I agree with you Catgurl.

In my defense, I did say it was not an error preoperly but something "odd" about it. I was unsure of posting it but then Liam posted somethig about the Cave so I thought that kind of things count as mistakes.

I'll try to stick to real errors from now on.

ButterflyBoy likes this.
  12. Wilycub

Here's a new one:

In "The Crystal Queen" Lion-O obtains some clothing items from one of Queen Tartara's Guards. But when he enters her castle wearing those items, there is an obvious mistake. What is it?

13. Booshman

Lion-O somehow managed to get a pair of boots. Even though he only had hold od the guys coat, and we see him fall wearing his boots.

Wilycub likes this.
  14. Wilycub

That's it! When the Guard falls down the slippery snow slope, he drops his coat and hat, which Lion-O takes with him. Yet when entering the castle, Lion-O also has matching boots on. Must have taken a detour to Macy's. :biggrin

You're up!

ButterflyBoy and thezaxfactor like this.
  15. Booshman

Restoring that episode took an age, due to all the scenes with stars running havoc with my dirt removal script. Had to do a load of stuff manually and check the episode over and over.

Here's an error I noticed going though Mumm-Rana. We know that there are some sequences that are re-used animation that appear episode to episode. In Mumm-Rana there is a mistake made by the editor when splicing in one of these re-used shots from another episode. Can you find it?

16. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

This is a tough one. I've scoured the episode, and I keep coming back to the Feliner landing in front of the lair. But I don't think it's a recycled shot, which makes me think I'm off track.

EDIT: Wait, I think I got it. Is the error the fact that the Sword of Omens already has grown to full length and had it's crossbars curled before Lion-O does the catchphrase and make it all happen again?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  17. Booshman

That's not it mate. It's not a continuity issue, it's something the editor has messed up, not the animators.

18. ButterflyBoy

Hmm....are you referring to the super-super-quick shot of Mumm-Ra in his sarcophagus right before it zooms in to a tighter shot of the casket closing?

19. Booshman

That the one. It's one frame of the wide shot, which is so short it can never have been intended to have been there. Just a slip by the editor, since all the trims would have been done manually on film back in the day. You're up.

20. ButterflyBoy

I loved this error! I real challenge! :-D BTW, does this mean you're almost through with remastering the first season?