Game: Name That Error!

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by ButterflyBoy, May 28, 2018.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Almost. 48 episodes complete.

Wilycub, ButterflyBoy and LiamABC like this.
  2. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

New question:

I really love the episode, however, there is a rather noticeable flaw in the plot for "The Telepathy Beam". It is very inconsistent with the Thundercats mythology as it has been laid out for us. Can you tell me what that is?

3. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Cheetara being still afraid of her abiilities and powers, when it seemed she worked that out in season 1?

4. ButterflyBoy

Well, I don't really think she was exactly afraid of her powers in "The Telepathy Beam". Just frustrated and confused. What I am looking for is a rather large...hmmm....omission. There is something that a character normally would do that does not happen. And if that character had done that thing, the episode's plot would not have worked.

5. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

I would think that Lion-O might have used Sight Beyond Sight to narrow down which of Cheetara's visions of Panthro was true. Is that what you had in mind?

6. ButterflyBoy

Yap! That is what I had in mind. The sword doesn't alert Lion-O, and Lion-O does not make any attempt to use the sword to see where Panthro really is. Ironically, the only person to try Sight Beyond Sight in the whole episode is Luna!

LiamABC likes this.
  7. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Sight beyond sight was something the writers frequently forgot about, or made excuses for it not working.

8. ButterflyBoy

Too true. Although I personally cannot think of a more blatant scenario where it was completely ignored as it was in "The Telepathy Beam", especially considering how natural a took it would be to use in the episode. I think that the way "Sight Beyond Sight" was developed in the early episodes quickly became a detriment to the writers, forcing them to always develop an excuse for it not working ("Safari Joe", "Trapped", etc.) or just ignoring it and hoping no one notices - such as this episode. Another early idea that the writer's seemed to realize wasn't working was the communicators everyone had. You'll notice shortly after they are introduced, they are either always malfunctioning for some reason before the Thundercats seemed to completely get rid of them post season one. Season two onward, communication is always between the bases and vehicles

LiamABC likes this.
  9. thezaxfactor

I love Luna's attempt. Honestly (and this is my latter season affinity showing), I hear her voice in my head whenever I read or think of the phrase—it's so melodramatic!

Anyway, here's a new one. This error is more of an oversight, and certainly could have been addressed given more episodes, but it's always bugged me.

In "The Book of Omens", the presentation of certain artifacts remakes the surface of New Thundera and puts an end to the instability that has persisted since the planet reformed. But there's something that Overgard seemed to discount which calls the efficacy/permanence of the whole idea into question. What's the catch? HINT: The episode ends with visual evidence of this very thing.

10. ButterflyBoy

Do you mean how the Moons of Plundarr are still present, and therefore should be influencing the planet?

One of the biggest mysteries for me is just how and why Thundera reforms the way it does, along with the Moons of Plundarr around it. I am inclined to believe that Peter Lawrence had some explanation for all of this, at least in his mind, but it either got edited out of scripts or simply never made it's way into them. That direct question is even posed by Lion-O in "Return to Thundera! Part III" but is jut as quickly dropped. It leaves behind so many questions, especially with the introduction of Jagara who states she's been on the job since time began without a break! Peter Lawrence even brings up other, smaller details that are left unanswered such as what is the deal with the platform on The Churning Rocks?

LiamABC likes this.
  11. thezaxfactor

That was quick! Yeah, that's exactly what I had in mind. Maybe I shouldn't have dropped that hint at the end.
    Yeah, you've got to wonder whether he left those threads loose with a mind to maybe go back to them later, or whether we're just reading into the mysteries in ways that he never considered (or figured would be overlooked by kiddos). Or, like you said, whether additional details just wound up getting omitted.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

12. ButterflyBoy

When it comes to major plotholes and unanswered questions, the five-parters were problematic. Each one seems to have a major flaw or hole in the story. One would think that with five episodes to tell the story, errors would be less likely instead of more likely.

13. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

The whole concept of New Thundera was problematical, and should never have been allowed to happen.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  14. ButterflyBoy

I felt it was interesting ON PAPER as a way to ultimately book-end the series. The show opens with their planet's destruction and ultimately closes with the planet being fully restored. I think they made some attempts to give the planet its own identity, which is probably where the whole "Moons of Plundarr" thing came into play, but without proper explanations of why all this is happening, it never fully worked for me. Ultimately it just became like Third Earth - so much so that the writer's would lose track of what was where (The Baleful Swamp being the most obvious example). It's clear that they were trying to find some way to inject new life and thus new story opportunities into the show. The Treasure of Thundera plotline worked decently enough, but even then it was clear the writer's were runnin' outta steam.

LiamABC likes this.
  15. ButterflyBoy

New error -

I coulda just taken a screenshot but I thought that would have made it too easy.

Can you spot the animation error in the epilogue scene of "Monkian's Bargain"?

16. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Is it the Lair's Eyes being intact despite Monkian having smashed one earlier?

17. ButterflyBoy

That is a really good guess that I hadn't even considered. On a very technical level, however, I don't know if it could be truly an error since we don't really know how much time has passed and the Thundercats (and mutants, for that matter) seem able to conduct repairs extremely quickly on all their technology. How many times do we see the sky-cutters or nose diver demolished only to be back perfect the next episode?

There is a much more blatant error present in that scene.

LiamABC likes this.
  18. Wilycub

Is it a "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" animation error? Because for one frame Wilykat's mouth disappears completely.

19. ButterflyBoy

Hmmm...the error is very obvious to me, not a blink-and-you'll-miss-it...I'll give this a little more time before I just post a screenshot.

20. Wilycub

It's not this one is it? Wilykat's hair being one big black patch instead of two lines?
    39monkiansbargain.avi_snapshot_18.23.jpg