Game: ThunderCat Trivia

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by CodeofThundera, May 8, 2011.

1. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

I'm going to say pair of scissors. Curly straws make an appearance around the council table in "Mumm-Ra Lives! Part I", and I'm almost certain there's a slingshot somewhere.

Wilycub likes this.
  2. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

You got it. You knew exactly where the curly straws were seen, and we saw a slingshot used against the Ratstar of all things. :-D

3. thezaxfactor

Oh, right! The welding torch and the ladle I can also place quite clearly, but I won't spoil them, in case you want to use them next time.

I like this theme, though! Here's a new one:

What character do we see reading a comic book, and in what episode?

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

If I'm not mistaken, it was Snarfer in "Swan Song". He's reading a comic which has a picture of some sort of Snarf superhero (Snarf-man?) on the cover.

5. thezaxfactor

That's the one! Such a peculiar detail, and one of those thematically off things that Season Four detractors can (rightfully) hang their hats on. Though I'll admit I found it hilariously charming the first time I saw it—it's probably the only thing I like about the episode!

Anyway, you're up, Wilycub.

Wilycub likes this.
  6. Wilycub

Thank you Zax! The only reason I remembered that little bit of trivia was because "Swan Song" was one of the episodes that I had reviewed for this site and I even mentioned the comic book in the "Notes of Interest" Section. :)

New question: Which character calls Panthro, "my strange blue friend" ?

LiamABC likes this.
  7. ButterflyBoy

I believe that would be Amortus, who as we all know is a perfectly normal looking blue friend.

Wilycub likes this.
  8. ButterflyBoy

To be fair, I think that sorta detail is more of a post-season one "Overgardism". I remember watching "Sideswipe" for the first time and thinking the whole idea of RoBear-Roberto's Taco Stand and the newspaper with a wanted ad for Luna on it to be out of place for Thundercats.

LiamABC and Wilycub like this.
  9. Wilycub

Well done my (hopefully) not-blue friend! :biggrin I find it strange that Amortus thinks Panthro is blue when clearly he's grey!

Not to forget Snarfer's pizza run to Third Earth in "Cracker's Revenge". ;)

10. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Or what you're all basically implying is that making Snarfer a regular was a really bad idea - which indeed it was.

Wilycub likes this.
  11. Wilycub

I agree. Snarf himself was considered quite an unpopular (and at times annoying) character among kids when the show initially premiered. Not me though. I kinda liked Snarf. And as the show progressed, he was given good screen time and was shown to be brave, loyal, caring as well as wise on many occasions. And just as kids were warming up to him, they bring in Snarfer! He would have been tolerable as a one-off character (like in "Feliner") but making him a regular was a bad idea.

12. LiamABC

Or to put it another way, Snarfer is the Scrappy-Doo of Thundercats. Even down to being the nephew of the original!

13. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I think I'm among the few (very very few... maybe the only one LOL) that preferred Sanrfer over Snarf.

14. Wilycub

I wasn't a big fan of Scrappy-Doo but 'd rate him way above Snarfer. He has a different design, different voice and a completely different personality than Scooby. Snarfer I found to be too similar to Snarf.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  15. LiamABC

Agreed. I don't feel the same antipathy to Scrappy that I understand is prevalent, simply because he was in most of the versions that I saw as a kid so I just took his presence as normal. He was a completely different character, he had more backbone than his uncle Scooby, a completely different voice and he was tiny, in contrast to Scooby who was massive. Sometimes it is hard to tell if it's Snarfer or Snarf, simply because Robert McFadden is trying to make his voice even more of the same extreme than Snarf. It doesn't help either that he's recycling his original Snarf voice from the first two episodes!

Wilycub likes this.
  16. ButterflyBoy

Okay...my feelings on Snarfer...

Snarfer, his whole existence, is a little baffling. What was "missing" from the first season that caused the writers to bring Snarfer in? Did they just feel that another Snarf would help roundout the new 'Cats at the Tower of Omens? One of the things I find really odd is not only that they added him, but he is featured and developed waaaaaaaaaay more than Bengali, Pumyra and arguably even Tygra. We know more about him than a lot of other characters (such as his time at Snarf College). Its just funny that in season 4 it was clear the writers wanted to "tidy up" some of their cast and thus left Tygra and Pumyra on Third Earth, but oh, we needed two Snarfs to remain in the show. The writers either really, REALLY liked Snarfs or thought the kids did.

Having said all that, I never minded Snarfer (or Snarf) as much as a lot of people tend to. I was never thrilled when they were heavily featured, but I moved on just fine with my life. Another oddity with Snarfer is that he has been completely ghosted. We've been comparing him to Scrappy-Doo but the big difference is at least people REMEMBER Scrappy-Doo. We never got an original figure for Snarfer, not even the notion of a prototype. Any merchandise post-original series has also completely ignored Snarfer. Even the fantastic set of minimates included a repainted Ro-Bear instead of a Snarfer with the three new 'Cats and I never saw anyone complain. Snarfer is absent from the newer comics without mention at all. I am not sure if he even made into the UK comics from the 80's.

Am I the only one who finds it strange that, whether we liked him or not, we have a fairly major character that has just been completely erased from the mythos?

Tygra_Rules, LiamABC and Wilycub like this.
  17. Tygra_Rules

I think if the writers wanted some assistance for the new TCs, then they could have used that robot dog (forgot its name) Panthro gave the kittens. The dog wasn't a favorite of mine, but it at least was different from Snarf and could have been something different to work with at the Tower of Omens, and, unlike Snarfer, it wouldn't have to be present in every single episode.

18. LiamABC

I think the reason that Snarfer got forgotten is because he wasn't distinct enough from Snarf - and this has probably caused Snarf to suffer too, some people who say they don't like Snarf might actually be thinking of Snarfer.

19. Tygra_Rules

So, in middle of this dicussion about Snarfer, we forgot the game LOL. Any question, BB?

Wilycub likes this.
  20. ButterflyBoy

What piece(s) of equipment are forgotten, disappear or otherwise go entirely unused by the Thundercats without any explanation following the first season?

Wilycub likes this.