Growling Thundercats (suck)

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Nelson, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Nelson

Nelson Berbill

I've been slowly coming to terms with the fact that the fanbase of this show is not as big as I'd like, and that most fans have trouble remembering characters like Pumyra (and have no clue about what a Lunatak is), but if there's one thing I flat out can't accept is the notion that the Thundercats are these savage, growling beasts. They were never portrayed like this in the cartoon, were they? Is this some kind of a Mandela effect? Where did this misconception start?

I *think* this started with the Wildstorm comics, then appearing in merch (statues) , then (worst of all) it appeared on original promotional artwork from Warner Brothers. In the last 8 or so years we've seen it in action figures. Nobody points out that fanged, angry Tcats are a bit out of character.

Am I crazy? What do you think?

Sent from my G3112 using Tapatalk

2. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Dont know about your mental state, but I see what you're getting at. I agree, kinda... In the cartoon there are some instances where ThunderCats get angry and growl at their opponents, but overall the good guys weren't portrayed as overly aggresive or scary, that was a job left for Mumm-Ra & co. The ThunderCats were always shown as heroic nobles, not savages. These modern depictions are an effort to make the characters more bad-ass, less "childish". I dont necessarily mind them becoming slightly more animalistic when it's called for, but I fully agree they should not be transformed into snarling beasts.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Ion-O and a couple other made some growling animal noises on a few occassions but not too often.
    I am not sure if I said it here or on another forum but Super 7 giving all the figures alternate snarling heads is really pointless. Pumyra especially because as far as I can remember she never snraled or growled like that in the cartoon.
    And another thing I think it was Wildstorm that started the stupid trend of drawing the clawshield as furry.

4. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I have always thought that -and never liked it- but never said anything because I didn't think it would be an issue for anyone. Glad to know I'm not alone.