Happy 30th Anniversary, Silverhawks!

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by BloodofKings, Sep 9, 2016.

1. BloodofKings

BloodofKings Junior Member

[​IMG]
    Not sure if many realized, but today (Sept. 8th), officially marked thirty years since "The Origin Story" pilot episode of Silverhawks aired. What are some of your favorite memories from the series' run?

Daremonger likes this.
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I dont have extremely vivid memories of Silverhawks from my childhood, just vague ones. I do recall having a Silverhawks coloring book and thinking that the bad guys were pretty cool. I also remember Copper Kid was my favorite at that age.

3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I actually never got a chance to watch the show when I was a kid. I only started watching it recently, or rather, I've been trying very hard to watch it recently! I don't find it particularly engaging and as much as I try to force myself to like it, I just can't. But I still hope to someday finish all 65 episodes. A few things that I find to get around:

1. The pilot episode was a bit too boring. It was like a very drawn out intro that should have been squeezed into just a quarter of the time. The whole scene where the Silverhawks go against those military planes/missiles as a test flight was very drawn out.

2. The heroes weren't particularly "unique". They looked pretty much like modified clones of each other with more or less similar abilities. In contrast the villains were a lot more varied and interesting.

3. The whole musical aspect. Using musical instruments as weapons was just a bit too much and didn't gel with the sci-fi space theme. Also the Western inspired Colonel Bluegrass didn't fit. It's like the makers were trying to cram too many genres into one cartoon.

4. Mon*Star was just Mumm-Ra recycled!!!

I know I'm nitpicking flaws in a 30 year old kids cartoon that was made mainly to sell toys. But hey, that's what forums are for! ;) I gotta say the theme song was very catchy and the animation was pretty darn good!

Nevertheless, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SILVERHAWKS!!!! :thumbsup

Tygra_Rules, adssse and Mark M like this.
  4. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I've been trying hard to get into this too. It's just so dull in comparison to Thundercats. It's so weird to have all of these familiar voices, good score by Bernie Hoffer, and high standard of animation, and just being bored by it. I find it more comparible to watching the worst of the later episodes of Thundercats. They really did get lucky out the gate with Thundercats, with Silverhawks they threw too much stuff in the pot and it doesn't really come together. The Copper Kid character, say what you will about Snarf, I like him, the Copper Kid on the other hand, horrid. If there was a hell it would be the Planet of the Mimes.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  5. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Exactly, the series is just too boring. Lately I've been trying to watch some of the cartoons episodes that I missed when I was young like those from MOTU and TMNT. Despite the average plots of some of those episodes, I don't have to force myself to watch them like I do SH. I actually play SH episodes at 2x the speed just so that they end quickly and I can convince myself that I sat through the entire episode! ;)

Yeah, there was just too much flung into SilverHawks and it did not blend well together at all. I think a large part of the ThunderCats success is due to the contribution of Leonard Starr. He had worked in the comics biz for many years and knew how to create interesting stories and characters and slowly build the mythos. He knew what worked and what didn't. I do recall that he himself was confused when he heard the concept of SilverHawks. He tried to give his input and point out the problems but no one wanted to hear them.

LOL! :biggrin The Copper Kid was the humanoid version of Ro-Bear Bill, just less interesting! :)

Daremonger, Mcaseres and Mark M like this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I tried to get into it and watched a few episodes but the show is a mess. The animation and music is the only nice things I can say about it. The hero characters are so boring and uninteresting. The entire concept is just a complete mess of ripping off ideas from other popular cartoons.

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree with many of the sentiments here so I won't rehash them (although I am slightly more positive due to the villains). I do want to second Wilycub's sentiments in regards to Starr. It is obvious what a profound impact he had on Thundercats! It's a shame money and egos got in the way of him staying on board. I honestly believe we would have gotten another season of Thundercats if he stayed.

8. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I erally enjoyed SH as a kid. I tried to rewatch them a couple of months back and get bored to death LOL. I like the villains though. And maybe because of his resemblence to Tygra, I kinda like QuickSilver.

9. Tygra_Rules

Some things I never understood about the SH:
    • If their bodies were covered in metal, why the hell did they need sport suits? It's not like they felt cold, is it?
    • What was the matter with metalizing their whole head, hair included?
    • Moonstryker (totally obnoxious)

Daremonger likes this.
  10. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I had one episode of SilverHawks on VHS that I watched, plus I saw only a couple more in the late '80s. I got to watch the entirety of the show on Cartoon Network in the early 2000s and was hooked immediately. Now I own it on DVD. :)

BloodofKings likes this.
  11. Tygra_Rules

The show itself isn't bad; I enjoyed it as a kid. I think it had good characters, specially the Galactic Mob (the SH themselves lost points as their designs were pretty much alike, so you can't really say one was better than the pther in that field). The story was interesting too.

It's just, there weren't as much scenarios (given they patroled a galaxy, the possibilities were infinite for that) and the episodes turnes repetitive and predictable IMO. I also didn't like it when every single SH and bad guy started having his or her own companion bird; Tallyhawk alone was good and enough.

On the bright side, there was no deux-ex-machina (like the SoO) around.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Daremonger likes this.
  12. BloodofKings

Ok, I think we can all agree that Silverhawks wasn't as great as Thundercats. In addition to the subpar writing, it literally plays that one-note "Cops & robbers in space" theme to death. --But there's still something I find awkwardly endearing about it. The main character designs (The Silverhawks themselves & Mon-Star particularly) are still pretty cool to me...it reeks of 80's-style action/adventure. To be honest, I had totally forgotten about this show until the then-fledgling Toonami block started airing Thundercats in the late 90's. In researching that show online, I ran across a few RealPlayer clips (Oooh, remember those?) of Silverhawks' intro & closing credits. Somewhere in the chords of that theme song & the images of Mon-Star's castle, it all came flooding back. It wasn't a show I was overly ecstatic about watching, but because it was still a slightly interesting concept & a part of those weekday afternoon/Saturday morning lineups, as weird as it sounds, it kept calling me back to it.

I've said this like a million times, but the initial concept of this show was so amazing! It had so much potential that I still can't believe how badly they dropped the ball. I've always believed Silverhawks should've been rebooted before Thundercats because there was so much room left by the original series to explore the individual characters, their backstories, etc. instead of making it a one-dimensional, chase & catch kinda show. I was all about things dealing with outer space & science fiction as a kid, so the fact Silverhawks fell in line with the year of the Challenger disaster and that it debuted only days before my other favorite show premiered (The Real Ghostbusters), Silverhawks still has a special place in my heart. It's not the best, but it had a lot going for it.

Tygra_Rules and Daremonger like this.
  13. BloodofKings

That's sort of like my story. I forgot about the show, ran across some clips online in searching for Thundercats content & thought, "Hey, I remember this." Then, I went to a video store that was closing down & surprisingly they had a copy of "The Origin Story" on VHS, so I purchased it. I must've watched that tape 100 times that year. Then, Toonami started reairing the episodes & I remember celebrating that I could finally see the show in it's entirety. (God, life before YouTube!) Now, I own the series on DVD as well.

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Daremonger

That's cool!

15. Tygra_Rules

I own the DVDs too! Like BloodofKings (welcome btw!) I found it endearing somehow and still watch some episodes once in a while.

What I liked:
    • The Galactic Mob (characters and vehicles were awesome to me as a kid... I still think of it as one the best gangs of villains ever). Special mentions to Hardware, Meolida, Timestopper and Zero; Yes-Man was nice too. Mol-Ec-U-Lar was a great character with a lame design IMO.
    • QuickSilver and TallyHawk. I also liked Condor and Flashback.
    • Mon*Star pre-transformation
    • I also liked those three villains that weren't part of the Mob (not them particularly, but the fact thay they existed and hated both the Mob and the SH, but would work with either of them if they found it convenient; so much like real life LOL)
    • Those astronomy questions at the end of the episodes. I liked trying to get the right answer and would compete with my brother LOL
    What I didn't like:
    • Mon*Star post-transformation (I found him scarier in his original self)
    • Too many companion birds
    • BlueGrass and MoonStryker (Copper Kid didn't really bother me)
    • The fact that the SHs weren't showcased; some episodes focusing on their backgrounds or centering in one at a time would be nice. There were some, but not deep enough. The Mob members got more episodes dedicated to them I think.
    • The fact the the SH were too alike. As Wily said, not only in design (I'd pass that as they were thought more as an army), but also in their abilities and even their personalities. TCs could be told apart and had individual traits that made you like ones more than others, SHs not so much (the fact that I don't like BlueGrass and MoonStryker is because I found them specially annoying, but I can't say I liked one SH over the other. I liked Condor and Flashback because they were different, I think, and QuickSilver because of his resemblance to Tygra -it was the same drawing, just like the twins were Lion-O and Cheetara, Copper Kid was WilyKit with a little WilyKat, and Stargazer was Panthro- and also because, even when he was the leader, he didn't save the day everytime and has a leader above him; that was a nice twist for the cartoons of that time).
    • As I said before, placing it in space gave millions of possibilities for stories and scenarios, but the episodes seemed to repeat over and over again. They wasted so much there.
    • That taxi guy and his green bird friend. Again, just annoying.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
    Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  16. Daremonger

Only three commercial bumpers were made for SilverHawks -- the one with Tally-Hawk, the one with the Maraj, and the one with Hawk Haven.

17. Tygra_Rules

What happened with them? I assume a "bumper" is kind of a "deception"?

Daremonger likes this.
  18. Daremonger

A commercial bumper is an eyecatch. You can view the SilverHawks bumpers here:

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  19. Tygra_Rules

Thank you!

Daremonger likes this.
  20. Daremonger

You're welcome. ^-^