Has Bandai discontinued Thundercats Toys?

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Romanticide, May 26, 2012.

1. luketommo2

luketommo2 Vortex Explorer

Yeah I looked in the Argos catalogue this weekend and nothing again.

So when is thundercon and any idea when bandai uk are releasing wave 2-I'm sure it was August. Be interesting if we get the full wave or leftovers from the USA

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Argos - slight correction

There is one Thundercats item in the new Argos, a OS Lion-O fancy dress costume LOL.

3. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

All Bandai ThunderCats toys have been completely removed from Argos.co.uk as well :( not that they were ever widely available to be honest. They mostly stocked Panthros for crying out loud!

Edit: gone from Hamleys website as well... actually they disappeared from the physical store since May.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  4. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

In all honestly it looks like Bandai just redirected all the overstock that was meant for the US to the UK as opposed to producing new stock. Hopefully you guys across the pond were able to get the figures you wanted.

5. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Not good news indeed.
    I gues all we can do now is wait for the official word from Bandai.:(

7. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

...it's already a foregone conclusion. T hings aren't looking so bright at this point if we want to be honest.

I am mostly mad with WB and the way it has handled the property. Bandai doesn't care either.

8. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

I think the uncertainty CN has portrayed with the series is to blame for the toyline's bleak future. How are they supposed to sell toys when (at least in the US) the show is not repeating and there's no news of a second season? A cancelled show certainly won't sell any toys, unless said show is based off of a toyline or some other odd circumstance. I think Bandai is somewhat to blame but at least they've made public statements.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hammy, I think the biggest problem with the Bandai toys were the 4" main line was very poor compared to a lot of the other toys on the market and over priced and poorly produced for their price.
    If only Bandai had concemntrated on the 6" figures and made that their main line it would have been better.
    In comparison to the new TMNT figures Playmates are producing at a cheaper price you can really see the faults with the 4" Thundercats.

10. hammy0924

hammy0924 Ultimate No-Life

Yeah, Bandai did kinda screw up there, but I think they could have handled the toys a lot worse. There are little problems here and there with the toys, but I think the lack of advertisement and certainty mainly on CN's part overshadows the mediocre quality of some of the toys.

11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Bandai could have handled it a lot worse but they didn't put the same effort in as they do with Power Rangers and Ben 10. The black joints where a big turn off for a lot of people. Bandai Japan's stuff is another level. :D
    CN I think has been the biggest problem, the x amount of week breaks inbetween episode blocks where really annoying and caused a lot to lose interest. I must admit I haven't seen all the episodes yet....I haven't watched the last 8 epsodes yet.

12. Endorx

Endorx Rampager

I also think the huge delay from us to uk has done no favours at all.. I have downloaded every episode due to the crappy advertising and never knowing when its going to be released here. Its a joke

13. AlexofThundera

AlexofThundera Plun-Darr Legend

Minus a handful of figures, the Bandai line was a joke. Too many characters being repeated in different scales / various formats. Why would any parent in this economy buy their kids 5 different incarnations of Lion-O?

It wasn't any better for the fans of the OS just looking for the classic figures. After the reset from 8" to 6" we got.... another Lion-O. Granted I prefer the 6" Lion-O over the 8", but still, that could have been OS Panthro or Cheetara instead.

Minus the kittens and Snarf all the figures should have been 6" and we should have gotten more characters instead of vehicles and play-sets that we saw once or twice at best in the show (minus the Thunder Tank). Not to mention I have heard the vehicles and playsets are of a terrible quality. I keep all my stuff MOC but I heard the Thundertank collapses if you so much as look at it.

In the end though Bandai fulfilled their end of the bargain by producing what they were told to produce. I put the brunt of the blame fully on WB for having always treated the Thundercats franchise as nothing more then a cash cow that they are trying to squeeze a few more drops out of.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I agree 100% with pretty much everything you said. I liked the 6" figures, they should have just stuck to one line and made all the figures 6" and reduced the amount of articulation each figure had slightly. I love the 8" Classics but it would have been better if the had been 6" to blend with the current series figures and made all the main cast instead of just Lion-O and Tygra. The OS 6" figures look terrible in my opinion, not the bodies but Lion-O's face just isn't right, it should have been like the 8" version.....and as for Mumm-Ra that things face scult was hideous, it looks nothing like Mumm-Ra, they should hae copied the Mezco figures face sculpt or at least looked at the cartoon. The sculpt looks as if it is based a bad piece of fan art.
    The vehicles and playsets were a pathetic joke in comparisson to the LJN vehicles from the 80's. The sides of the Thundertank kept falling off and wouldn't stay on. Terrible magnet gimmick and it was too small...a Thundertank needs to have 2 seats in the front and a good amount of storage in the back for the other figures.
    WB should have given the licence to a better company, Playmates or Hasbro etc. Its odd the way Bandai handled the line as they have a pretty successful record with Power Rangers, Pokemon and Ben 10.
    At the end of the day I got the main cast in 6" form and 2 nice 8" figures. Of course I would like more but I highly doubt thats going to happen so I am content enough. We got a new incarnation of Thundercats and some toys job done.
    Although the OS Thundercats is and always will be my favourite cartoon, I am very disappointed the way the new show and toys turned out.
    At least there is the new Turtles cartoon and toys to look forward to. ;)
    Merged Post:
    Contacted Bandai and I asked them if the line had been canceled or if we could look forward to some new reveals at Thundercon or Toy Fair.
    I received a useless Matty Collector style answer.
    'The next wave of figures will be launched in the UK this July/August.'
    They did not answer my question and the answer they provided is just pretty much confirming the line is canceled. Basically they are releasing the second wave thats already out in the USA to get rid of all their stock then they are done. :(

Last edited: Jul 30, 2012
  15. Dr_SLUMP

Dr_SLUMP Berserker

Called AS Company today (they mostly bring Bandai toys in Greece, including Power Rangers) and it's the first time I got a straight negative but also explanatory answer.

They said that there was not enough stock in Europe to make an order, while no show airs locally to support the toyline. They concluded that there are no plans whatsoever for ThunderCats in Greece during 2013 while the whole year is finalized.

No news from Giochi Preziosi though but I highly doubt that they would also takeover. I'll call them tomorrow with low hopes and crossed fingers.

I know that Greece doesn't matter much here (apart from me and Lordore) but the situation is an example of a European country.

16. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

I can easily say....I saw that Coming.it didn't catch me off guard at all.

I am infuriated with the whole way they've been handling things with Thundercats all along. The took the worst route possible.

Dr. Slump i see other Toys coming in greece with minimum or no support by the media/TV, still you can find plenty of toylines in the Toystores. Thundecats COULD/SHOULD have made it in greece.I

17. WilyKatfan

WilyKatfan Thunderian Legend

I just got a 6 inch Tygra at amazon. I hope the Wilytwin and Pumyra are made.

18. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Bandai hasn't discontinued "ThunderCats." If they did, we would've heard from them by now.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Daremonger, it works both ways, if the line isn't discontinued how com Bandai have not said it is still active.

20. Ideal

Ideal Glass Walker

havnt they said on multiple occasions that they are still rolling out product world wide?