He-Man He-Man 2002

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by srebak, Sep 25, 2014.

1. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Around the time when the 2002 reboot of He-Man first came out, I was almost immediately hooked. In practically no time at all, i was set on collecting the show's toys and watching every episode, and back then, the only thing that interested me was the fight sequences. But nowadays, my mind has new perspective, and it's sort of half and half. On one hand: now that i'm older, i can appreciate (or at least try to do so) the depth and character that this reboot has over the original (which i wasn't aware of until after watching the reboot). But on the other hand, now i see the chemistry between Prince Adam and those around him in a different light.

In an episode of the original series, which i just watched recently, it was stated that Prince Adam acted the way he did because he was trying to keep suspicion off of him, i liked that explanation. But in the 2003 version, Adam started out as genuinely complacent, it's hard to skirt around that. His father was a skilled soldier after all. Also, i truly found that some of Teela's treatment of him was bit harsh.

What brought this up was the fact that, after so long, i finally started reading the comic books based on this reboot. One scene between Adam and Teela was meant to be touching, but it didn't move me at all, and two lines from Teela felt kind of bad to me.

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I wish the Thundercats 2011 series had been a lot more like the 2002 He-man reboot. The writers didn't try changing it into something it wasn't. It just expanded and amplified everything fans loved about the original series. We learned so much about the geography of Eternia and it's history and the characters histories. Its only real problem was the toyline.

3. The difference is that the 2002 series begins when Adam is 16 years old and becomes He-Man for the first time, and the 1982 series begins when Adam is 18 years old and has been He-Man for two years.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I like that in both shows they still had episodes where Adam wanted to prove his own skills as a warrior to the other Masters and especially his Father.

5. Right, but my point is that Adam was immature at 16 (as he is in the 2002 series), but at 18 (as he is in the 1982 series), he is no longer immature, but he continues to pretend to be, if that makes sense.

6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I understood and it made sense.

7. KorbenDallas

KorbenDallas Glass Walker

awesome revival

8. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

These revivals of old toons are really great, he-man 200x, TMNT 2K3 and Thunderctas 2011 are better interpretations than the old ones (sorry if old school fans get angry) but IMO it is true.

I donĀ“t feel like watching the old ones, well, maybe the TMNT, and just the first season.

9. rainshadow

rainshadow New Member

A few reasons the newer shows are "better" is because both technology and culture has grown to allow them to be. The animation is far superior now, and as a culture we aren't as squeamish as we used to be in terms of what the characters are allowed to do. The action sequences are just flat out better. The characters get to actually use their weapons for more than just show. How many fight sequences in the original He-Man turned into He-Man chasing around Skeletor for a few frames, only to have Skeletor retreat before a punch could be thrown? It doesn't hurt that the creators have finally begun to accept that the younger audience is smarter, as well. (Look at the original Transformers cartoon and compare it to the critical success of Transformers: Prime... Overall just a better show, because the creators trusted their audience to be able to follow along when they decided to push a few boundaries.)

Well, it doesn't hurt that the production companies are willing to let their storytellers do more than just create 25 minute-long commercials. Which is pretty much what all cartoons were in the 80s. They still are and that'll never change, but the commercial aspect isn't as blatantly obvious as it used to be. There is a far stronger emphasis on actually creating a good show nowadays. (Avatar: The Last Airbender comes to mind.)

Story-tellers and animators were so limited in what they could do back then. By the 2000s, with shows like the Gargoyles, the Justice League and its predecessors, and TMNT (which in itself had evolved considerably as it went from its early days on into the 90s) having broken most of the 80's mold and Japanese anime becoming more popular with the American audience, audiences were ready for an update that could up the ante on He-Man.

In my personal opinion, He-Man's always been a story that could use a much more gritty update. The 2002 version was a cut above in some ways but also lacked a bit of the 80's charm that the characters had. In some cases the animation of the 2002 version was a bit too clean and that hurt the atmosphere of most of the settings.

I'm personally hoping that if this new Masters of the Universe flick does well that Cartoon Network makes the decision to reboot the series one more time. This time as a show to add to the Adult Swim lineup with a more adult theme. It's been more than a decade since the last He-Man show. Obviously the next stage of evolution for He-Man is the silver screen, assuming this new movie is moving forward (we can't really be certain of that, though the recent image of Battle Cat seems to suggest it is finally on track). It's only a matter of time before we see He-Man back on the small screen as well. We can only hope it's in a style befitting the Masters of the Universe.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  10. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I wouldn't mind seeing a "He-Man" series for adults.

11. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Different topic; i once wondered what it would be like if She-Ra made an appearance in the 2002 Reboot of He-man. I'm well aware that her appearing in the future was in the initial planning for the series, but still, i've wondered.

One of the ideas i've had on that subject is that while Adam was easy-going and laid-back, Adora would be hard-nosed and always on alert. While Adam could usually be found sleeping underneath a tree somewhere, Adora would usually be seen training as if she were were preparing for an upcoming battle. If Randor brought them both on a mission to Subternia and told them both to be on alert, while Adam would pay the warning with just barely the necessary heed, Adora would say something like "I'm prepared to gut and quarter the next Caligar or Spelean that i see". This seemed like a good idea at the time, especially considering how well the contrast worked; while Adam had to learn to show more initiative and take his royal duties more seriously, Adora had to learn to relax more and realize that there was more to life than just battle and training. Also, as an added bonus; while Adam may resent Teela's constant teasing, but does nothing about it, Adora would not put with it for a second.

12. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

She-Ra would've worked well in the 2002 "He-Man" universe. On He-Man.org, forum member Gbagok has out character designs in the style of the MYP cartoon, even She-Ra herself. They're in the Fan-Art, Fan-Fiction, and Fan-Media Section. Hope you'll check 'em out.

13. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Great show, I like it.

14. Jukka

Jukka Junior Member

As a big fan of He-Man and especially the 2002 series (you can see my blog about it that is on hiatus now but there are interviews and such for anyone interested)

Also to pimp more, here's 5 Things About the 2002 Intro :)

I kinda wish the 2002 He-Man series had come closer to the times of Thundercats reboot. Though that's from the techical standpoint that Thundercats got HD screencaptures shared on sites before a new episode came. He-Man didn't get that. Nor a blu-ray release which the quality really deserves.

But it was a great show and they had the fortunate case of taking elements from existing mythos and streamlining it for their own tales. I liked that a lot.