News: He-Man Movie Set for 2019, McG booted, Goyer Writing

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Wilycub, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Full article here: http://ew.com/movies/2017/04/26/sony-release-date-masters-of-the-universe-reboot/

A little excerpt from the article:

He-Man has the power — but he doesn’t have a director.

McG (Charlie’s Angels), who has been on board to direct the long-discussed Masters of the Universe reboot since early 2016, is no longer attached to the movie and Sony is meeting with directors, EW has learned from a source familiar with production, who also says David S. Goyer (Batman Begins, Man of Steel) is writing the screenplay for the event film.

While the studio looks for new leadership behind the camera, EW has confirmed that Sony has scheduled the movie for a Dec. 18, 2019 release.

On the casting front, EW has also learned that many actors, including A-list talent, are vying for key roles.

Mark M likes this.
  2. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

McG out is good in my book. Goyer script is a coins toss whether it's good or bad.

3. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Goyer is an interesting choice. Man of Steel was terrible and is probably the worst Superman movie ever made. Batman Begins is a good movie...but not a good Batman movie.
    The latter point could really work in He-Man//MOTU's favour. I think a lot of stuff from the cartoon and comics would need changed to make a really good movie with interesting characters.

4. Wilycub

As we had talked about earlier, I think the only way a He-Man movie can work is if they do it more like "Thor Ragnarok" than "Game of Thrones".

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Much like the Conan the Barbarian toy scenario I don't think Mattel would be too happy if the MOTU was like Game of Thrones. ;)
    It definitely needs to be like Thor Ragnarok.

6. Wilycub

Very true. One does not need to look further than the fate of the 2011 "Conan the Barbarian" movie to see that making everything realistic, gritty and dark does not guarantee success.

The problem with a lot of these modern day filmmakers who have or are planning to make movies based on 80s cartoons is that they somehow feel ashamed of the original material. So they try to change as much as they can and the result is something that the newer generation don't like and the older generation cannot relate to. In order to succeed, these filmmakers need to embrace the cartoons and all their cheesiness and silliness. Then adapt that silliness for today's times, don't eliminate it completely.

If making a MOTU film, don't get rid of Orko or relegate him to a side role (like they did with Snarf in the 2011 TC reboot). Instead turn him into someone like Rocket from "Guardians of the Galaxy". That is why a director with the right vision is crucial, and not a Chris Nolan wannabe.

Mark M likes this.
  7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The 2011 film was awful. It was a shame as the actor playing Conan was really well cast and looked like the Conan described in the books and from the comics and cartoon show a lot more than Arnold.

Guardians of the Galaxy is a great example and I completely agree with you. However it all depends on the director.
    James Gunn really did a fantastic job with Guardians of the Galaxy. Before seeing the movie I had never even heard of GOTG. And the idea of a talking Racoon and a giant plant man in space seemed a real challenge to put in a live action movie.

I actually really liked the MOTU 1987 movie. Although I was always annoyed at how much was set on present day Earth. If it had just been on Eternia and had Battlecat and Orko and maybe some outfits that were slightly closer to the cartoon might have helped. Although like a lot of Super Hero movies I think the 1987 movie costumes were a better choice.

Wilycub likes this.
  8. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

You've seen BvS? Man of Steel is not good, but BvS is much worse I think.

Batman Begins is my favourite of the trilogy, but I'm not sure how much of that movie is down to David (Blade Trinity) Goyer.

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I was meaning as just a Superman movie. I didn't like BvS, it was terrible, but at least it had Batman and Wonder Woman (briefly) in it, so for that reason I thought it was slightly better than MoS.

10. Wilycub

Snyder is a good example of the filmmakers that I mentioned who feel ashamed of the source material. Until his "Man of Steel", Superman was always the ultimate good guy, the boy scout, standing for justice, truth and the American way, the symbol of hope. Snyder probably felt that all these qualities were archaic and boring and scrapped them all in his Superman.

On the other hand, Marvel took Captain America, who has pretty much all these exact same qualities, and embraced them wholeheartedly. The result is that Cap has now become one of the most popular superheroes while Snyder's Superman has become a disliked character.

Mark M likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Superman is such an iconic character, I can understand them needing to do things to freshen the character up, but all the DC movies have made the characters quite disliked.
    I am not a huge comic fan but if I had to pick my favourite I would always pick Captain America as he was the first action figure I ever owned. I have read a lot of his comics and seen all the Captain America movies (including the two from the 70's and the 1990 version).
    Marvel did an amazing job with the MCU Captain America movies. The character is both interesting and likeable and most importantly the movies and interesting, enjoyable and fun. Sadly those are the things the DC Superman and Batman films really lack.

12. grumpykat

grumpykat Active Member

maybe it's not that they're 'ashamed' of the source material, maybe it's because they're not 5-10/young anymore.
    a lot of 80's shows, both animated and live action, don't hold up to these eyes.
    as big of a fan of He-Man, Thundercats, Full House, Willow, etc I may have been back then, watching them today is not only cringe-worthy but a chore.

I'm fine with filmmakers changing it up and trying new things.
    And if that's not one's cup of tea, that's why we still have the originals: to bathe in the nostalgia.

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would have to completely agree with you that some properties are very dated and He-Man/MOTU is definitely one of them.
    One thing that I think would really have to be changed is the names with all the -Man after them as they sound really cheesy and silly. It doesn't help that the main character has arguably the silliest/cheesiest name in the series.
    In He-Man and MOTU case I think they had the right idea with a lot of the changes they made for the 1987 MOTU movie. If they had stuck closer to the cartoon the designs would have been really silly looking like He-Man and Skeletor's outfits in the Moneysupermarket advert.

14. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

Then Im glad that the guys making the MCU are still 5-10/still young because they are making awesome movies while sticking to the souirce material. And their movies become super duper hits clearly indicating that the majority of people love them. All the "adult film makers" should just stick to Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad.

There's a difference between updating and ruining source material. For those who don't know the difference:
    Updating: Iron Man was originally injured in the vietnam war. This was updated to show him getting injured in the middle east in the movie
    Ruining (aka changing for no apparent reason than to try and do something different): Batman in BVS not only uses guns, but he kills people in cold blood, locks them up in dungeons, is a terrible detective, gets manipulated easily, and is governed totally by emotions instead of logic. All these are completely opposite of what Batman is. Even Nolan despite changing a lot of things, didn't change these fundamentals.

But hey if the few nostalgia hating adults like these then they have Snyder to make their wishes come true.

Then why are you hanging out in the TC.ORG forums? You know very well that this is a place where fans of these "cringe-worthy" shows watch and discuss them.

15. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

And if the original 80s cartoons are so cringeworthy then why should these "adult" film makers even bother making live-action movies of them????? Who is their target audience? Clearly not the nostalgic fans of the original. Unless they are making it for "adults" who hate the 80s cartoons. In which case it would be the most absurd thing ever.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The same could kind of be said for the 2011 Thundercats cartoon.
    Marvel's team working on most of their movies have done an excellent job. Sadly the same can't be said for any of DC's recent movies.

17. Wilycub

Precisely, apart from the names and the designs of a few characters, there really is no connection between the 1980s and the 2011 shows. The 2011 is a completely different show. Even though the makers of the reboot claim to be big fans of the original, to me it seems that the opposite is the case.

On the other hand, the 2002 He-Man is a great example of how you can update an 80s cartoon and still remain true to it.

Mark M likes this.
  18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Same for the 2003 and 2012 TMNT cartoons. I really wish the 2002 MOTU had got its third season as the plans for it were awesome. Sadly Mattel's bad marketing of the toys caused the toys and cartoon to get cancelled. Instead of making different characters they decided to release around 20x different variants for Skeletor and He-Man. "When/If" Mattel make toys for the new MOTU movie lets hope they learn from their mistakes. Not just past mistakes but even more recent ones. Their toys for the recent DC movies have been terrible.