He-man/Thundercats DC Comics Thoughts

Discussion in 'Comics (1985-2018)' started by thunderfat80skid, Mar 26, 2018.

1. thunderfat80skid

thunderfat80skid Junior Member

So, I know this series concluded a while ago and I apologize if there is another thread discussing it at length. I just wanted to share my thoughts on this book and see what other Thundercats fans felt about it.

Personally, I liked Freddie Williams' artwork. That is the highpoint for me when it comes to this book. I feel he did a nice job with the characters and the storytelling. Artwork As for the writing, I felt there was too much violence and inappropriate (also, simply not funny) humor and this did not fit either the He-man or Thundercats universes nor the bringing together of the two. I know this kind of "mature" edge is added to a lot of modern comics based on these nostalgic franchises in an attempt to appear to be more adult and make the "thirty-somethings" (myself included) buying these books feel like they are not necessarily reading something intended for children. However, for me, violence and crude humor do not automatically make a book more "adult". In fact, when it comes to He-man and Thundercats, that kind of thing takes me right out of the experience. I'm all for these characters being written intelligently and more palatably for older readers but their essential character must be maintained. The heroes must be truly moral and heroic, the villains can be dastardly and dangerous but not crude, obscene and dumb.

Both He-man and Thundercats hold hallowed places in my heart and I'm very touchy about the way they are portrayed by other creative people outside of the original television series and 80s source material.

That's just me, what do you guys think?

PS I'd love to see more He-man/Thundercats comics someday written for all ages to enjoy and with exciting creators involved! Throw in some Silverhawks too! My dream creative team for a future He-man/Thundercats book: Chris Claremont or JMS writing it, Ed Mcguinness on art.

motogp_fanatic and Daremonger like this.
  2. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I read He-Man/ThunderCats online and now own it in paperback form. I agree with you about the storyline not being utilized to its fullest potential, plot-wise and character-wise. Still, my enjoyment of the crossover kept me glued immediately. And I like your dream team for a new He-Man/ThunderCats comic; that would certainly draw in plenty of readers if that dream team were for real.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    motogp_fanatic likes this.
  3. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Moleman

I really enjoyed it, but I guess I know a lot more about MOTU mythology than the T-Cats. I loved the art, mainly because they stuck with the Classic character designs and didn't try to do a modern revamp of some sort. Skeletor and Mumm-Ra insulting each other was pure gold! I love the part with He-Man and Lion-O wandering around inside of Grayskull. I always imagined that on the inside, the castle is a zillion times bigger than on the outside....with gateways to other parts of Eternia, and portals to other dimensions and times.

I'm really hoping there's another crossover someday. MOTU and Thundercats seem to fit together very well.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    motogp_fanatic likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I got the graphic novel today and overall I really enjoyed it.

5. motogp_fanatic

motogp_fanatic Junior Member

One of the best DC crossovers in recent months.

Just seeing the two franchise is enough and with a great story and art, I'm more than satisfied and hoped for more in the coming months too.

Sent from my ASUS_T00K using Tapatalk