Mezco Hope for more Mezco Thundercats after all!!!

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by Wes2882, Jun 9, 2014.

1. Wes2882

Wes2882 Berbill

Hey guys!

Got some news recently that I wanted to share. Like many people, I was really bummed at Toy Fair in February to see no mention of the Mezco line of Mega Scale Thundercats continuing. We AT LEAST need Tygra if not the Kittens and Evil Mutants to finish this line out, and I think they are the most amazing Thundercats we've ever gotten!

Anyway, I emailed Mezco a while back and they basically said "No plans", but I emailed them again recently just to see if we'd get a definitive "No way" at this point or if there was still hope. Here's my email (copied and pasted) along with their exact reply.

"Hey guys! Still no news on the Mega Scale Thundercats? Is it time to give up hope, or could this line still be continued? You guys have gotta make Tygra!!! Any chance at all that we could hear reassuring news at SDCC or has the ship sailed? Any info would be greatly appreciated!"

Here's what they said back:

"No news at this time, but i'm sure you will not see the end of the line, it's just on a stand still at this time
    Thanks for writing"

So that's something to be excited about, right? I mean, ideally we would have heard something definitive and there would be another cool SDCC exclusive, but at least they seem positive the line WILL continue!

Now if only Funko would continue with a series 2 as well, I could die a happy man… ;)

Anyway, just thought I'd share! :)

Wes2882

2. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

Hopefully, that does mean that we could see AT LEAST Tygra produced for the line. It is definitely positive but doesn't make much sense to me. I may be incorrect but in order to produce these figures, WB would have to grant licensing rights to Mezco. But generally there are time limitations on how long the licensing rights are given(bought) for. - I may be wrong about this because obviously I have no idea the deal that Mezco and Warner Bros. have together -

So,while it could be a positive response that there is hope, it could also be a positive response to placate so fans keep looking at the line in a positive light and not a negative light.

That being said, i still really do hope that we see a Mezco Tygra. I'm sure he would look absolutely amazing. The Mezco line in my opinion is arguably the best Thundercats line we have seen.

I have been in contact with Funko and, at least at this time, there are no further plans to continue the Thundercats line.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Hmmmm well I guess it is better than nothing. As others have said I would certainly like to see Tygra. I would expect that if they continue the line there would be more than one produced though as I would expect the license to be for a period of time as opposed to a per figure basis. If this is the way it works they would have to renew the license and it would seem to be to their benefit to produce a few more.

If the line in fact was continued and produced 4 more figures, who would you like them to be?

After Tygra it would be hard for me. It would be nice to see the mutants, but it would also be awesome to see a twin pack of the Wily's, Jaga and Grune. This line is a bit pricey compared to Funko, Minimates etc so I wonder how deep into the line many people would be willing to purchase? I think they are amazing, so I would probably purchase as much as I had the funds (and space) for.

4. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

If they were to do another series of 4, other than Tygra, I would love to see Jaga, Grune, and Mumm-Ra (in mummy form -with glow in the dark eyes perhaps?) - that comes with a Ma-mutt. If we used the first series as the guideline i think a Ma-mutt would make sense since and be possible since they did do a Snarf.

5. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

Personally I would prefer them to do the Cats first before the mutants. I would love to see Tygra, The Kittens, Jaga and a snarf on it's own.

This line is amazing. I just bought a Cheetara. Still waiting for it though but will have it in the next few days. It's without the snarf. I just need to get the Panthro.

I just wished they continued with the classic line in the 6''.

6. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I believe they did the mummy form of Mumm-ra (although as a two pack). It would be cool to see Ma-mutt too though.

http://www.mezcotoyz.com/thundercats-mumm-ra-exclusive

7. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think the chances of Tygra getting made are slim to none. Which is a shame as I was probably looking forward to him getting made the most. Also a Ssslithe in the same scale would have been amazing.
    WB drastically need to sort something out with the Thundercats licence or just sell the right to a company who isn't afraid to take a chance and do justice to the property.
    I don't collect Minimates but at least Diamond managed to make all the main characters. If only they could get the licence and make them in their Select lines. :)

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  8. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Guys sorry for being absent for quite some time now, my offline life has kept me really busy!

Now that Summer is around i'll have free time to join the Lair frequently:thumbsup:

I look forward to the prototypeZ studios take on the Thundercats.
    I am on the fence about getting Mezco Panthro or waiting for the statue versoon by Prototypez. Pantrho was the most neglected Thundercat memeber from the statue producing community!!

I have Mezco Lion-O but i am not thrilled, he looks so anime to me

9. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

thats right!! i completely forgot about that one! i rarely see it online it totally slipped my mind

10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

11. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

12. Tyg-ra

Tyg-ra Junior Member

It's great that more product is coming out. But do we need 4 Mumm-Ra's?

Where's Tygra? Wilykit? Wilykat? Some mutants?

13. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

I agree. Why do these toy companies keep on making multiple variants of the same figure? The Bandai classics line had the same problem. 4 Lion-O's 1 Mummra and 1 Tygra.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

SDCC has past and Mezco had no Thundercats to show.
    They did show an excellent line of 6" Batman figures with cloth outfits based on 'The Dark Knight' Frank Miller comic which looked great....if only they could do a Thundercats line like that.

I have said it before and I will say it again the company that needs to do Thundercats Classics is Diamond Select, Bif Bang Pow, NECA, DC Collectibles or Playmates. To a lesser extent Mattel as long as they don't do all the crap they do with MOTU.