How did M.U.L.E. know but Mumm-Ra didn't?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Tygra_Rules, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

OK, this has intrigued me since I was a kid, and maybe I'm digging to deep into it, but how did M.U.L.E. (Safari Joe's "sidekick") know about the TCs weaknesses when they just learnt about them? (And how did he know what TC was coming each time?) Where did he get all that info? It's not like Pantrho had a hidden diary where he wrote about that time a giant bat atttacked him and traumatized him for life. Or that Tygra competed in the Olympic Games and almost got drawned. It was like the ionfo was there in outer space for anyone to catch it, like the Bat-files or so (read DC's "Justice" for more in tis topic LOL).

Even more, Mumm-Ra and the Mutants have been fighting the TCs for ages with no clue about those same weaknesses. Why they never used them against the TCs? It would either have made them vicotrious, or forced the TCs to work on those weaknesses.

And, even more, the real weaknesses we as fans were allowed to know were those of Lion-O, which SJ never got to learn as his holoprojector damaged when the image of teh Eye of Thundera showed up. As I see, we know not one but tewo of Lion-o's weaknesses:
    1. He's impulsive and wants to solve eveything on his own (as mentioned by Cheetara in "The Shifter"), and
    2. He's fear of Thundera's destruction (as seen in the trial of mind power).
    Do you think SJ would have been able to defeat Lion-O by knowing these?

LiamABC likes this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Good point! As a kid, I usually just took such things for granted. It was only the really absurd things that bugged me! (like the TCats breathing and falling in space! :00).

If I were to come up with an explanation for this, I'd probably guess that Mule, being a computer, has an encyclopedic knowledge of pretty much every creature, planet, and weapon in the universe. When Safari Joe first arrives and brags about having successfully hunted Big Cats, Sky Cats, and Aqua Cats, it is likely that Mule knew about the weaknesses of all these creatures as well.

While it is not clear where Mule got this info about the TCats weaknesses, maybe it was something that was known (by some) on Thundera, and Mule was able to retrieve and use that info against them. I think of Mule as being a sort of "super-hacker" who has hacked into every planet's knowledge and thus knows pretty much everything about everyone. I know it's a bit of a stretch but that's the only logical thing I can come up with. Those people who are familiar with the TV show "Person of Interest", will know what I mean when I compare Mule to the "computer" on that show. :)

As for Mumm-Ra not knowing the weakness of the TCats, I don't know about the others but he did know about Panthro's fear of bats, and he even used it against him in one episode (I've forgotten which, I think it may be either the "Mumm-Ra Berbil" or the "Dream-Master").

LiamABC likes this.
  3. Tygra_Rules

As soon as I posted, I remembered Mumm-Ra using the bat weakness against Panthro (and like you, my friend, I'm not sure if it was in "Mumm-Ra Berbil" or "Dream master"... I have exactly the same doubt. Maybe because those tow episodes are very similar in their plot).

Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

It was "The Mumm-Ra Berbil" where he became the energy bat.

Maybe Mule was able to hack into Cats Lair's database?

Daremonger and Tygra_Rules like this.
  5. Tygra_Rules

I still doubt the TCs would make a file with their weaknesses LOL

LiamABC likes this.
  6. LiamABC

True enough, but there may be things on file that could lead him/it to deduce those weaknesses.

Wilycub and Tygra_Rules like this.
  7. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Just like in one DC storyline in which Batman gathers information about the weaknesses of all the other superheroes so that he may use them against the heroes if they ever go bad.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  8. Tygra_Rules

Yeah, and you know what happened to Bats when the others found out (after those weaknesses were used against the JL members)...

Wilycub likes this.
  9. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

Maybe that's the key. The Holojector explodes because the Eye of Thundera "defies analysis." It's performing some kind of analysis on the Eye in real time and the Eye resists. So maybe it was performing some kind of analysis on each ThunderCat in real time as well, akin to Vultureman's telepathy beam, but in reverse, reading thoughts rather than planting them.

Tygra_Rules and LiamABC like this.
  10. LiamABC

Useful tool, that holojector!

11. Tygra_Rules

Nice theory Zax!

12. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Safari Joe used an energy bat against Panthro and Lion-O also. :)

13. LiamABC

Indeed he did. That's kind of the point. Mumm-Ra probably had half an eye on things there, and remembered that weakness to use against him.

Basically, Panthro doesn't like small creatures, as he freaked out at Bushy the spider in "The Fireballs Of Plun-Darr" as well.

14. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I think that Mumm-Ra and the Mutants learning about the ThunderCats' weaknesses would've made a very compelling storyline.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  15. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Because plot, Tygra. DO NOT QUESTION THE WRITERS! lol

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  16. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

The writers made Tygra look bad against SJ. First off SJ tells Tygra straight up: "who's gonna make me? You with your Bolo whip?" Basically SJ saying your Bolo whip can't hurt me. It would of been better for SJ to tel Tygra don't try and turn Invisble. Or even Tygra trying to turn Invisble. Was Tygra afraid to turn Invisble since Cheetara was trap in midair? Another thing that always bother me was SJ helps Tygra out of the whole but never takes his bolo whip or ties his hands with handcuffs. Meaning at any moment Tygra could of got up and attack attack SJ. Than the whole how did SJ get Tygra and Cheetara in there cages!!!!! Let alone there weaknesses

17. mumm_ra_n_rana

I gotta wonder about something. These people are cats and they have claws. So why don't they ever use their claws to rip through traps?
    also Tygra didn't attack SJ once they were in the cages because they were made out of Kryptonite- er I mean... the thunderian equivalent of it.

18. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

How would Tygra attack SJ if Tygra in a Thunderian cage or any kind of cage? I still wanna know how SJ got Cheetara down with them rocket cuffs. The cuffs had to have a remote on them to bring her down. To me that was the best trap on the show them emergy bolts on Cheetara.

19. Tygra_Rules

25minutes of show aren't enough to show everything; there definitely were things that happened "off-camera". Most probable, SJ told Tygra not to try any move or he would blow Cheetara away (besides, Tygra himself might have been exhausted from almost drawning). Then Tygra got into the cage and then Cheetara was brought down. Besides, don't forget the kittens had been already captured, and SJ could have used them to make Cheetara and Tygra do his will.

I agree in that the "Who's gonna make me? You? With your bolowhip?" was kind of degrading and humiliating. Then came the "...or I'll turn your friend Tygra into a rug" line. I think SJ held a personal grudge on Tygra, otherwise I don't see why being so dismissive at im all the time LOL.

Wilycub likes this.
  20. mumm_ra_n_rana

Or maybe SJ was just being a d*ck or he's got something against tigers or he's being the mouth piece to whoever the dude was who hated Tygra. Poor Tygra.