How did M.U.L.E. know but Mumm-Ra didn't?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Tygra_Rules, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Actually, I think poor Tygra was the most dismissed TC, not only by writers, but also by the evil characters. Besides SJ's lines, there was also:
    • Monkian in "Fireballs from Plun-Darr" by stating "They sent that Tygra to spy on us and he failed misreably" (or something like that).
    • Mogor who said "If this is the best a TC can do, then he's no rival for Mongor" (or something like that) when he defeated Tygra.
    One could argue those lines would have been said that about whatever TC the baddies trapped, but it happened to be Tygra...

This brought back to my mind the whole "designated victim" thing about Tygra. It really seemed TCs would have saved themselves a lot of trouble (and Tygra a lot of embarassment) if they just, every morning after breakfast, tied Tygra to his Council Room chair and leave him there for the day. You know, they could tell him something like "Don't get mad at us, Tygra, it's nothing personal. We're doing this for you. You know you'd end like this anytime soon if you get outside anyway, only this way you'll be safe and we get some rest instead of going out to rescue you. We'll come for you for lunch!" LOL.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  2. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

Yea what was that about when SJ told Cheetara be nice or I'll make your friend Tygra into a rug. What was SJ gonna do to Tygra at that point. Shoot him with stun bolts while he's in the cage? That's the only thing I can thing of. I wish Tygra would of talked back to SJ and not Cheetara

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  3. Tygra_Rules

Me too. I was waiting for Tygra's reply and for him to stand up for himself. But then, he was always quiet and might have considered it would be wiser to remain calm in front of that mad man, and also to save energies (given that Thundranium weakens them too fast) and don't waste them in arguments that wouldn't take him anywhere. You know he was always more analytical than impulsive.

SJ could have taken him away of the cage and shoot him outside, after all he was already weak because of the Thundranium.

4. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

speaking of the kyrpto- errm thundranim. WHY does that stuff even make the cats weak? I will never understand that and why is that stuff on third earth anyway?

At least Tygra does have a few good moments here and there in the series. But yeah like I said before the poor dude is almost always the first to get in trouble. Things are a LITTLE better for him in the remake, though this is not a remake topic and it's one of the few goods things about that series.
    Going back to the tiger's weakness. Ummm... how many other episodes really touch on Tygra's inability to swim?

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  5. Tygra_Rules

You could say "Turmagar the Tuska" hints that weakness of Tygra, as when he fell to the sea he had to be rescued by Cheetara, but it's not clear if it was because he couldn't swim or because he was still mesmerized by the siren's spell; it looked as if he was out of conscience (you cold see he gets to open his eyes and actually sees Cheetara swiming towards him before closing them again though, but again, he could just have been too absent- minded to swim).

6. mumm_ra_n_rana

I'm confused because in fireballs of pun-darr he swam just fine.

7. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

That's why we're trying to work out a perfect continuity order for the show, and season 1 especially. Tygra's swimming ability is one such point. The comic version of "The Fireballs Of Plun-Darr" includes a line where Tygra says he made a point about learning to swim after his encounter with SJ. We've already got the first 20-25 episodes sorted out pretty much cast-iron.

The swimming thing in "Turmagar The Tuska", we can attribute to the mermaid's spell. Because this episode happens much later in the series' run (after the Anointment Trials, because the Tuskas are not in the crowd scene, about the only allies missing), by necessity after those two episodes mentioned above, I think we have to put it down to the hypnotic effect.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  8. Tygra_Rules

I always thought it was because of th hypnotic effect plus falling so hard over his back into the water, but just tried to made the point clear (just in case).

9. LiamABC

The hypnotic effect coupled with quite a steep fall that he wasn't really braced for . . . like I said, if we're going to explain it in continuity terms after Tygra's having learned to swim, we don't have any choice but to attribute it to that.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  10. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

Yea Mule weakness on Tygra was so bad since fireballs of plun darr he's swimming great. The writers must of been on something that day.

11. LiamABC

To be fair, they were written by different people. SJ was Stephen Perry while FoP was William Overgard.

And like we say, there's a simple continuity fix.

12. Tygra_Rules

My previous post (at the top of this page) just gave me a funny idea. What if, in fact, the TCs decided they would save a lot of time just tying Tygra themselves rather than having the Mutants or any other bad guy doing it, and they having to get in a battle or risk their lives to save him? Can you imagine that? It'd be something liek this LOL:

Scene 1:
    upload_2016-8-15_16-2-1.png

Scene 2:
    upload_2016-8-15_16-2-43.png

13. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

I told you this before, SJ just helps Tygra out on the whole. Tygra is coughing up a storm ( with his Bolo whip still in his hand ). You would think SJ would take his bolo whip by now. Lol. Also you would think SJ would handcuff Tygra hands. Think about it. He's got to walk back to his camp right? Even if he takes Tygra bolo whip ( which at some point he had to. SJ and Tygra still have to walk back to his camp. Yes your right about SJ telling Tygra don't try anything funny or Cheetara will get it. Now Tygra knows Poor Cheetara is helpless in midair nowhere to go. It still makes it easy for SJ to handcuff Tygra from behind. That way he can concentrate on Bringing Cheetara down from the Energy bolts. Than when they get back to camp SJ puts Tygra in his cage with Mule pointing his gun at him just in case. SJ tells Tygra to turn around so he can take the handcuffs off him. Than Cheetara comes down with Mule pointing his gun at her if somehow she try's anything funny but at this point there's nothing she can do but listen to SJ since the kittens and Tygra are in there cages. Agree?????

14. mumm_ra_n_rana

lol poor poor tygra.

15. Tygra_Rules

Just watched "Turmagar the Tuska" again; when Tygra falls he's already out of the siren's hypnotic spell as he was awaken by Cheetara, so he could have been able to swim, although we can still argue he was "post-mesmerized" -like getting low after being high lol- and the unexpected fall over his back into teh sea kind of caused him to pass out. Still the episode would have been a good chance to hint his non-swimming thing. Something like Cheetara telling Lion-O: "Tygra fell into teh sea and he can't swim! I'm going after him!"

16. LiamABC

Trouble is, the continuity order has pointers that place it well after The Fireballs Of Plundarr, in which he is swimming no problem.
    Curiously enough, there's a similar issue in Visionaries. In "Horn Of Unicorn, Claw Of Dragon", Lexor claims he can't swim, but we saw him swimming, or at least keeping afloat OK, in "The Overthrow Of Merklynn", a couple of episodes earlier in the original airdate order. So really that episode belongs after it. Which works out just fine. I sorted out a continuity order for that show years ago.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  17. Tygra_Rules

Well, we know continuity wasn't the show's main characteristic and strenght LOL

LiamABC likes this.
  18. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

Mule should of said Tygra weakness was once a Thundercat is in trouble, Tygra will not think and he Rush to judgment. Which he did against SJ. He rush to Fight SJ and he did not take his time. Like I told Tygra rules should of made Tygra turn Invisble and defeat SJ, with SJ looking like a coward like he was against Lion-0 with Tygra standing over him and Than Mule coming out of nowhere and shoots Tygra from behind. That way they DIDNOT have to make Tygra look so bad. I no I no lion-I had to save the day once again but this way Tygra would of held his own and not have this can't swim BS.

19. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

The show did make an attempt to explain why Tygra was swimming in "Fire-Balls of Plundarr" but unable to in "Safari Joe". It makes no sense if you really think about it, but Mule says specifically re: Tygra - "Weakness, except when he's invisible, Tygra cannot swim." Again I say, it makes no real sense, but I think the line was only thrown in there to expain Tygra's swimming ability in the previous episode (where he was also invisible the whole time he was swimming).

20. Tygra_Rules

Actually, there's the problem. While he started swimming while invisible in "Fireballs of Plun-Darr", Tygra lost his bolo whip when he was still in the water, and kept swimming as if nothing happened.