How did you discover Thundercats comics and get them?

Discussion in 'Vintage Collectables' started by queen lynxana, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I was inspired by another thread about UK comics and how many issues there was.... Then I went on a tangent of how I got them.

Okay, here is my topic! How did you discover the Thundercats comic and what inspired you to buy them or get addicted to them......I am a hopeless addict to collecting them. I am so fussy.....every tcat comic I have is in a bag and board!

Like I said in another thread, I got my first Tcat comic while food shopping with my parents when I was ten. I saw that #10 Graveyard of Memories comic and begged my father to buy it. He was so sweet. Here is a man that is a cab driver and lives off of tips and pays $1 for a comic. Bare in mind, $1 is alot back in 1986. You can buy a pound of ground beef or such to feed a family. This was in a Pathmark. Pathmark was discount grocery food store but in that small mall......there was this chocolate candy store that had this chocolate candy maker in the window with melted chocolate in a mixer bowl constantly moving. ROFL oh how my sisters and I would drool as we watched the melted chocolate pour down this metal bowl into the mixer.

Anyways, back on topic. After many years and growing up, I got married, had kids, got a home and all that jazz. Then in 2003 it happened.....Thundercats came back. I remember seeing the Wizard Comic book being sold in an drugstore while I was pushing my newborn daughter in a stroller. I sheepishly picked it up and bought it. Then I glanced over it and put it away for a while. Next thing you know, the Return came out and I was with my lil sister and we past this comic book store. I looked hungrily at the new comic and my sister told me to get it. I said I couldn't because the guy working there went to school with me and he and his friends made fun of me when I was ten and I liked the Tcats. She told me to *uck em and tell them to get a life and buy the comic. I did only because she was there. Then it hit me.....every month I would go to the library and look at the Wildstorm site.....wondering when the next issue would come out. Then I would go to the store and buy the issue.

Then because I didn't have a computer, I went online at the library. I discovered that there more than one Tcat fan out there. The first Tcat fanfiction I ever read was ThundercatRoar's Fanfiction. It was the only one that I ever saw with the character "Lynxana" in it. I know it was several chapters long but for the love of God, I can't remember the name of it. It was about an OC that was part monkian and part thunderian.....she happened to be adopted by Panthro.. It was a Mary Sue but a well written one that I enjoyed alot. She even did some Tcat fan art. I have been in the fandom since 2004 and have yet to see a fanfic that was cannon and yet mary sue and very well written.....since then.....all tcat fanfictions are the same thing....meet Lion-O....get Cheetara pregos....where she was so irresistible Panthro and Tygra wanted her.....have the next heir, and all was well in the kingdom. Blah, blah, blah!

Okay....me thinks Capt. Morgan did enough typing for one night LOL

Yo ho ho!

So I got way off topic about comics......

what got you into collecting them?

2. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

What got me into the ThunderCats comics was when my cousins gave me some of their old UK ThunderCats comics that they'd finished with - they were the ones who introduced me to ThunderCats, playing me their tape of "Exodus" and showing me their TCats figures, and so to encourage me they gave me some UK comics! I can still remember my uncle reading me #12, "Invasion! Part 2" - he did an amazing Snarf impersonation! :D

The issues they gave me were:

#7 (minus its front cover!)

...all of which I still have! It has to be said, they have all seen much better days and I have actually replaced all but #17 with better condition copies, but those first TCats comics are very special to me and as such I won't get rid of them! :)

I remember when Tim Perkins first e-mailed me this artwork piece to display on this site:

[​IMG]

...I actually cried out, and my Mum rushed in to see what was the matter! :D I was so bowled over to see the first ThunderCats comic cover I ever saw, which as a kid I used to stare at for hours, in its' original pen-and-ink form! And then to see this one as well, which was the second ThunderCats comic cover I ever saw:

[​IMG]

...well, you can imagine the reaction! ;)

This is a great thread, hopefully it'll generate lots of comics discussion! :)

Take care... :)

3. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

I didn't collect any marvel tcats comics (domestic or UK) until I started my site and found out about them via places like ebay. I just totally missed these as a kid. The only comics I had as a kid were the three crappy Modern comic issues for Voltron and it's only because I stumbled upon them in the drug store. Guess I never ran across the tcats ones.

I started collecting them as an adult not only for myself, but to scan and share with other fans via the site.

As for the wildstorm issues, I got those as they came out and shared parts of them online, too. I knew those were coming because Ford Gilmore, the writer on the first few series, hit the boards and groups that were around at the time and told us about 'em ;) I figured out where a local comic store was and was sure to pick up copies as they came off the press, heh heh. For a while, I think mine was the only fan site covering them in depth/as they were issued. I don't include complete scans for scary legal reasons ;)

Overall, I'm not a big fan of comic books. Just these books are interesting to me because of the Tcats interest that is already there.

4. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

Well I used to spend a week out of every summer visiting my grandmother and grandfather in Mooresville, NC and there was a drugstore that had a comic rack. My first issues of Thundercats were numbers 7 and 16. For some reason the store owner hadn't sent the #7 book back or tore its cover off. I fell in love with the story in issue 7 and had to have more so I was off and running........that was start of my American Star collection.

It was the Cheetara Tygra "Thundera is nothing more than a bittersweet memory" panel in #7 that did it!

After reading those books my Grandmother bought me a subscription to that and SilverHawks until Marvel quit printing both titles. It took awhile for me to find another #16 I cut out the subscription information out of the comic itself. I had an allowance so I would beg to go to K&S News and buy a second copy of Thundercats to have just in case. (So hoarding became an early think with me)

When I was a kid I swore that I would get a good job and that I would buy everything Thundercats I could get my hands on and.......if Thundercats ever came back in comic form I would buy 10 issues of every issue until they quit printing.

I kept that promise to myself.

I don't have any of the British Thundercats comics except for the hardbound Granddreams 'Cats books and the softbound "The Price Of Pride" book, but as soon as I get done with other completions the UK comics are next! :cheetaraveryhappy:

5. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

Well , I was into comics when Thundercats came out so the Marvel books were a must have for me. Hey Roar I live in Salisbury, NC about 20-30-mins from Mooresville.

6. FlameTygra

FlameTygra Crabman

Which one was that?

7. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

Probably the issue that featured Alex Ross art on the cover, as shown here.

8. Rath Montchar

Rath Montchar Moleman

AT the time, I was 12 and was hesitant about buying the Thundercats comic book. I got #3 Siege in Silver & Stone, which concerns Panthro rescuing a Warrior Maiden named Tessa from the Rock Men and she's cursed by uncontrollable power. I was awestruck by Mooney and Breeding's artwork. And David Michelinie was a great writer(I later found out he's a legend in the world of Iron Man, so that's no surprise). The most memorable panels in the book, for me, are: page 7, where Panthro says "...for now" and the stress shows nicely on his face. The second is page 20 where Panthro says "I always did like happy endings," and he's in the company of two lovely Warrior Maidens. I snicker at how you have redheads, blondes, brunettes, etc in the comic as opposed to the dark skinned dark haired ones on the TV show.

Then, with #7, along came another top notch writer, Gerry Conway. He wrote one issue stories that were still good, but I wondered why just one issue? Michelinie did more than that. Conway also wrote the final issue #24.

But, with #13, the book started adapting TV episodes and some of the stories were too kiddie for me. The Michelinie stories were "adult friendly". I say, if a NEW Thundercats series could follow the tone set by those issues, it could outshine the original series.

The art teams that came along after ranged from good to bad. Mooney and Breeding are my favorites because they made all the pictures look EXACTLY like their TV show counterparts.

9. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

I regret that Marvel made Thundercats a Bi-Monthly until issue what....6?

I've been blooming sick for a week so I've cuddled up with my 'Cats comics old and new and a little Grimlock Dirt nap Kyle sent me (thanks again, Buddy!) and its helped me at least keep a good outlook on things.

@Chromeagle: I've been through Salisbury its a lovely little town! I wish I would have had time to stop before!:duh: