Hypothetical Super7 ThunderCats first release

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Oct 7, 2016.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

With the news that things are still moving in the right direction for Super7 acquiring the ThunderCats license, I've been thinking what S7 would be releasing as their first figure from their new line.
    Now taking into account what they've done with MOTUC (personally I think its an excellent idea to get people like me on board who have not yet bought any figures because I only recently found out about that line like 2 years ago or so) and releasing ultimate editions, I do think it is a bit early in the line to release ultimate editions of the current set up. I mean, we haven't had any second or third versions of characters (yet!).
    Personally I think they will release their first figure as a con exclusive before the line kicks off. Just like Mattel did with the kittens.
    So I'm thinking - if they take this route for a con exclusive, they might be clever enough and release a Red Lion-O. They have the buck done and dusted, all it needs is a splash of new paint. With it they could release another right hand, a metallic looking claw and even a claw with a retracting sword. I think it would work as an exclusive better than a regular figure because not everybody would want a Red Lion-O. And then again, at least they'll have their own Lion-O as part of their line up.
    My other thoughts on what they could do as a first figure would be a Jaga / Grune 2-pack where they're either both ThunderCats in their prime, or old enemies. Since we know these bucks exist, it would be a clever move to release that as a con exclusive.
    Another option is having a young Jaga and young Lion-O with Snarf as a con exclusive. I think that to keep things clever they would release something related to the main character of the show, so having a different version of Lion-O out there would interest sellers.
    What are your thoughts? Would the first figure work if it were a Cheetara/Tygra 2pack exclusive? Or a Mandora figure or Mumm-Ra the ever living? Sound off below.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  2. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

If it's a con exclusive I prefer it to be a variant of a core character as opposed to what Mattel did with the kittens. On that thought the Red Lion-O or any of the "young" versions would be fine by me.

Sebastiaan and jabus like this.
  3. jabus

jabus Barbarian

Exactly the whole thunder kittens as the exclusive could of had disaster written all over it - luckily I think anyone who wanted a set has a set now. If Super7 did go the exclusive route I think "Fond Memories" Lion-O would be a very safe and easy choice.

Sebastiaan and adssse like this.
  4. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I don't expect them to start with a con exclusive. I think the first figure they would do would be Tygra. Fans would have the pitch forks out if it were not either Tygra or Cheetara coming first. At the same time it's very possible they would reissue Lion-O.

I doubt they would reissue the other 4 figures though (not until they have the line established at least). The difference between MOTUC and TCC is MOTU has burned through the A list characters that everyone wants already. With ThunderCats, you could offer the likes of Tygra, Ssslithe, Mumm-Ra the Everliving, Vultureman, Bengali and Grune in their first year and most ThunderCats fans would subscribe. Super7 is reissuing A list MOTUC characters in the hopes that will get folks on board to also sub to the new more obscure stuff as well.

Sebastiaan and jabus like this.
  5. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I'm really hoping they rerelease the kittens (and fix Kat's sleeve), as normal releases. And I'd prefer pre-order over sub (as long as we have plenty of time to pre-order). As for who's next? Since they're probably not sure if the line would continue past another year, I'd want main characters. Tygra, Cheetara, Slythe, Monkian, Vultureman, and Mumm-Ra the Ever Living. Mumm-Mutt can come with Mumm-Ra, and Snarf can come with one of the cats. Though past that, since we have Pumyra, I'd also like Bengali and Lynxo.

Do away with exclusives altogether. They're only a headache.

On a side-note: I wonder if their prices would be the same as Matty. Have they announced the prices for the new He-man figures?

6. jabus

jabus Barbarian

Nothing officially said but Super 7 is hoping to go with a $30-$35 range.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  7. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

If they are able to do a full year of figures with concrete plans to go a few years with the line then I'd be fine if they just picked up where Mattel left off. They could start with Grune and Jaga and go from there. If the license is only good for a year then definitely just the core and then maybe an exclusive for each con SDCC and NYCC.

If I had to choose a must have first release then it would be Tygra for sure.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  8. Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi Junior Member

The kittens being SDCC was stressful even if I did get them ordered that first day on Matty. Red Lion-O or alternate Jaga would be great as SDCC exclusives.
    I'd prefer the line restarted with Mumm-Ra either through subscription or pre order. Don't mind the A listers being spread out a bit - from what we've seen from S7 and the 4H so far I think we're in safe hands.
    Also, Lion-O and Mumm-Ra should be available as long as the line is running.

Mark M likes this.
  9. Sebastiaan

That's a good idea to have the first figure be Mumm-Ra the ever living. And I agree - the SDCC kittens were very stressful. I had nightmares for Pete's sake. lol. And I totally agree - Lion-O and Mumm-Ra should be available as long as the line is running. It will make latecomers happy to buy in at any stage as long as they can get the two main figures (not that the others aren't, but you know what I mean).

Mark M likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The first releases needs to be the main cast then regardless of how long the line lasts at lease the core original team of Thundercats and Mutants will be completed.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  11. Gerrit

Gerrit Berserker

I agree, they can then make a new right hand to come with it for the guys that have issues with the one they got now, and they can make a better Clawshield that holds the mini sword!

Sebastiaan likes this.
  12. Mad Bubbler

Mad Bubbler Glass Walker

JAGA first then mutants! Why do we need another lion-o? Let's get some other figures on the shelves so we are not stuck with 20 lion-o figures in different scales from lines failed.

:tygra:

adssse likes this.
  13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Jaga would be great. As would Grune!

14. Roadpigjohn

Roadpigjohn Laser Beast

I would also go with the Jaga / Grune 2-pack...

Sebastiaan likes this.
  15. Sebastiaan

Just a question - do you think that some of you are choosing Jaga / Grune purely based on the fact that you know there are sculpts (and now you want them?!) :D

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Personally Jaga and Grune are two of my favorites so I would be itching for them regardless.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  17. Sebastiaan

If they were to release them as a 2pack, what versions would you want? The young Jaga and Grune (as a TC) or the old Jaga and Grune as his last incarnation, aka the evil version)?

18. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I think they should just do a standard normal looking Jaga and Grune.

Roadpigjohn likes this.
  19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Second this. Go with the most standard cartoon representation.

Roadpigjohn and Mark M like this.
  20. wonderboy100

wonderboy100 New Member

I'm glad to hear things are still moving along with Super7 possibly acquiring the license. Where did you all hear this? I have been combing the internet for any news and haven't found anything.

Sebastiaan likes this.