If You Could Re-Write An Episode Of Thundercats Which Would It Be?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

If you were given the chance to re-write an episode which one would it be? What would you change and why would you change it?

This has been discussed a few times in other threads where certain episodes were named as awful episodes. That got me wondering. How could they have worked those episodes to make them better? So I figured a thread would be a good place where people could name their problems with a certain episode and their ideas on how to make those awful episodes better. If this was done before I'm sorry. I didn't know.

2. mr freeze

mr freeze Laser Beast

the whole of season 2 , 3 , 4 :D

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  3. mumm_ra_n_rana

very funny.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'd rewrite the "Jackalman's Rebellion" episode to make Jackalman much more threatening. ;)

5. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would have liked to see the episode "Mummrana" and her character vastly changed. The episode has flaws such as the whole exiled thing as well as I believe her character could have been intriguing if handled with more care.

Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  6. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I was going to say "Mumm-Rana" but adssse beat me to it. :) In all honesty, many of the season 3 and 4 episodes are a complete mess and if I list them all here it would be a big list! So I'll just stick to the Season 1 episodes which I would like to "tweak" a bit.

"Return of the Driller" - I would have given the Driller a more meatier and menacing role. None of the whole Spongebob .... err i mean Spongfog nonsense! ;)
    "The Demolisher" - felt too much like a rehash of "Safari Joe", and a poor one at that.
    "Rock Giant" - was too straightforward. I would have liked to see some more twists and at least one sub-plot. Got more characters involved like the Warrior Maidens.
    "Mumm-Ra Berbil" & "The DreamMaster" - one of them needed to be changed so that they don't look like copies of each other. I still can't remember which is which! :confused

In general, I would have liked for the ThunderCats to use their brains more to defeat enemies rather than just using their brawns all the time. A great example is "Superman The Animated Series". Despite having incredible powers (more than the TCats have), Superman usually used his intelligence to outwit enemies.

adssse and Daremonger like this.
  7. Daremonger

"Dream Master" was more of a rip-off of "The Mumm-Ra Berbil." My idea for "Dream Master" is in this thread:

http://thundercats.org/forums/index...-wished-the-bad-guys-would-have-won-in.10050/

8. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

Besides all the episodes that have been already mentioned, I'd have changed these:
    • Every episode in which Tygra was absent, to make him be there LOL
    • Garden of Delights: Although you can see Tygra breaking off of Slky's spell on his own, it's not that clear if you don't pay attention (as a kid I totally missed it). I'd have made it clearer to show some strength on Tygra. Same with Crystal Canyon, I'd have liked to see him overcome it on his own, like Cheetara did in all her sixth sense episodes, or Snarf in his "I'm old and useless" epsiodes, or Panthro in "Spitting Image".
    • Micrits: I'd have liked to see the TCs solving the situation alone without Lion-O, instead of just waiting for him to come back and rescue them all. It'd have been nice to see what they would have done against the Mutants without their weapons (something like "Wolfrat")
    • Trial of Strength: Look for another way for Lion-O to defeat Panthro. It seems that wouldn't have been the outcome if Pantho didn't get hurt by that rock. Lion-O should have won that fair and square.
    • Trial of Mind Power: Didn't like the final scene where Lion-O jumped over Tygra; should have been different IMO, like Lion-O breaking free of Tygra's illusion, but then having to actually win him in reaching the ruins while recovering from the impact.
    • Chain of Loyalty: vastly discussed. I'd have made Lion-O fall under teh Chain of Loyalty curse or whatever.
    • Return to Thudera arc: First of all, get Tygra and Pumyra together in CatsLair and not have one of them in the Tower of Omens (wasn't it destroyed in "The Last Day" anyway? Why to rebuild it? To separate them?) Second, set a rotation-guard system for the TCs to stay in Third Earth (again, together in CatsLair).
    • That episode in which Mumm-Ra got trapped in the Book of Omens (don't remember the name right now): made Mumm-Ra look like a weak buffoon.
    I agree with Wily about "Demolisher" and also in what he says about "Mumm-Ra Berbil" and "Dream Master", they were very similar. I liked the idea of Dream Master catching the TCs dreams (did he ever do that actually?).

There are more, but I have to think about them

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Daremonger and Wilycub like this.
  9. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Great points, Tygra_Rules! :thumbsup especially
    I too missed that when I was a kid. The whole Tygra resisting eating the fruit and Willa pretending to be with Mumm-Ra as well what Lion-O, Cheetara, and Panthro learned from Panthro's belt recorder thingy was all a bit too ambiguous. It's like the writer himself wasn't sure if he wanted us to know that these things were going one or if he wanted to reveal them at the end.
    Totally agree with you there! If the rock had not hit Panthro, there's no way Lion-O would have out-muscled him. Like I said, I would have liked the TCats to have used their wits and intelligence more to solve problems rather than always relay on the power of the Sword of Omens.

Tygra_Rules and Daremonger like this.
  10. Tygra_Rules

Right. There's also a "nanosecond" when you can see Tygra actually snapping himself out of his trance, but it's kind of a blink-and-miss-it moment.

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Daremonger

I'd rewrite the episodes "Together We Stand" and "Mumm-Rana's Belt" so I could better utilize Pumyra as a character. The former could've totally made use of Pumyra's medical skills, and the latter could've given her added character development.

adssse likes this.
  12. Tygra_Rules

Tha's why I like "Wolfrat" as an episode. The vulnerable TCs were almost on their own (until the very end), and they fought and solved the situation on their own, plus we had a chance to see Tygra's scientist side ;)

That's also why I think "Micrits" would have been an excellent chance for that.

adssse and Daremonger like this.
  13. mumm_ra_n_rana

The name o that episode is "Key To Thundera" I believe.

Since the Return to Thundera Arc was already mentioned I'll have to list some episode I thought stank like Limburger cheese and could have been rewritten.

The whole "Thundercubs" arc. They're only cubs in like what? 1 or two episodes? They should have given the arc a better name than that for one. Or at least they could gave made them children for much longer. Except they don't get amnesia and Lion-O is ALSO one of them. They just windup being kids and unable to use their weapons and would have to deal with Mumm-Ra in a less cliche way. Like outsmarting him. The way he was "defeated" in that arc was just preposterous. I also would have reworked it that after they became children Mumm-Ra takes away their weapons so they have to use something else to beat him.

That being said onto the "Return of the Thundercubs" episode. I really have no way of reworking this episode. Maybe Mumm-Ra could I dunno I really can't think of anything. lol

As for the series finale. Here's some reworking. The planet starts to crack and fall apart. None of that time freeze nonsense. Mumm-Ra possessing the key goes into the book but since he has that key he's not attacked by those sentinels. Lion-O chases him and they have this super epic battle. Not that silly one they showed where they practically made Mumm-Ra loo like a weakling. I mean COME ON! Why even give him a muscular form if he's still a wimp? Also I wouldn't have added the ASOE's champion snake thing. Just Lion-O and Mumm-Ra fighting and Lion-O only wins by outsmarting his enemy. I also would have added Tygra and Pumyra in there.

Daremonger and Tygra_Rules like this.
  14. Tygra_Rules

I think it's a common wish/thought that Pumyra and Tygra (and even Jaga) should have been in the series' last episode.

About "Thundercubs", I always wondered the same, and was bothered by that too: why name the arc after something that happened only for one episode? Yes, Lion-O should have turned into a cub too (after all, he's a cub in a lion's body, isn't he?) and they should ahve defeated Mumm-Ra just like that.

Nothing against "Return of the TCubs" though, but it would have made more sense and worked better if the arc was better managed.

I'm confused now. Yu said they lost memory of what happened in "ThunderCubs"... did they? I remember them entering in the Cavern of Time and getting out as adults, but don't recall they didn't remember about it. Which shouldn't be by the way, as in "RotTC" they did remember the whole thing (I think).

15. Daremonger

I thought Mumm-Ra's defeat in the series finale was pretty silly, too.

16. mumm_ra_n_rana

No. When they turned into cubs they got the amnesia which I thought was silly. I didn't mean they didn't remember when they became adults again.

17. Daremonger

The Unicorn Keepers from season one of ThunderCats seemed like magicians. They even threatened to cast a spell on Lion-O. I'd have loved for them to utilize their roles as magicians as well as the Unicorn Forest's guardians.

18. Tygra_Rules

Oh yes, you're right. They lost memory of their "old" selves, which was silly indeed.

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  19. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree. It was criminal how underutilized Pumyra was!

20. mumm_ra_n_rana

well supposedly she was the least liked of the new cats. gee I wonder WHY?!

I know of an episode that needed a completely rewrited, or just a complete erasure from the history. I'll give you a hint. It involved a boiling barbarian babylonian boiler.

Daremonger likes this.