If You Could Re-Write An Episode Of Thundercats Which Would It Be?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

To be fair, I just rewatched "Time Switch" and its not outright said that the action involving Skytomb takes place in Darkside, but it is animated to look like it is.

2. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I agree with ButterflyBoy about the whole plot of getting to Darkside being nosense. There must have been ways, it's not like Darkside was surrounded by an imprenetable wall that stood up to heights not even a space vehicle could reach (given that space has really no up and down, that would be impossible LOL).

mumm_ra_n_rana and LiamABC like this.
  3. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

"Space has no up and down" - that reminds me - how many times do character just fall through space in a "downwards" direction! Plus the whole breathing in space issue . . .

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  4. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Because gravity exists in space. That's how mumm-ra can toss a sword into space into a black hole.... speaking of black holes HOW in the world did they get that ship so close to the hole without being sucked in? and HOW did they survive BEING SUCKED into a black hole anyway? that's not how black holes work! Let's not forget when the mutants cut a hole in the thundercat's ship and nobody not even the air got sucked out of the ship through that hole! It makes sense for TRANSFORMERS because those guys are ROBOTS! but the thundercats/mutants/mandora aren't! Of course mummp-ra gets away with it since he doesn't breath anyway. Dude's like an OP video game character. lol

5. LiamABC

I know there is gravity in space, but not the way it's portrayed in the show. Look at "Mandora And The Pirates", when they make Lion-O walk the plank in space. That's not how it works in space!

mumm_ra_n_rana likes this.
  6. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

There is no question that the whole "breathing (and gravity) in space" was the result of lazy/poor writing (or rather William Overgard!). To me personally, this wouldn't have been a big issue IF this had been the nature of the show from the beginning. But the fact that the whole breathing-in-space concept pretty much negates/ignores everything said and done in "Exodus" is what really annoys me. :mad:

Leonard Starr (a true writing genius!) laid the foundation of the ThunderCats beautifully in "Exodus". Everything that happens in that story has a reason and it wasn't just because the writer said so. Panthro searches for a habitable planet and finds Third Earth because it's atmosphere is breathable. Even Tygra says so, explaining it in simple terms that "we can breathe the air". But because of the damage sustained by the ship and the distance to Third Earth, they have to get into the Suspension Capsule. This also leads to Jaga's demise and him turning into a spirit as well as Lion-O growing into an adult.

But with Overgard's episodes, the whole logic behind "Exodus" becomes moot. The Cats can breathe in space so why travel so far away? Why not just live on any planet near Old Thundera? Heck they could just live on an asteroid! And of course then there would be no need for the Suspension Capsules so Lion-O wouldn't grow to an adult and also Jaga wouldn't die.

7. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I was going to put together a lengthy post but Wilycub sums up my thoughts nearly perfect!

Wilycub likes this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I completely agree with everything you said. :thumbsup

Considering how much Peter Lawrence edited the scripts you would think he would tidy up Overguard's episodes. Would it have been to difficult to type, wearing space suits lol. ;)
    I wonder though if this was the laziness of the animation department or the Rankin Bass and LJN. Perhaps Rankin Bass didn't want the Thundercats in spacesuits etc in those episodes in fear that kinds would maybe not want to buy the toys available thinking there would be other versions in different outfits like Star Wars. I recall reading though that LJN had other ideas for toy variants but Rankin Bass had no interest in changing the designs to incorporate them into the show.
    It's quite odd considering shows Like Defenders of the Earth, Galaxy Rangers and G.I. Joe had the characters done space suits, diving gear etc when required.
    Oddly enough He-Man and Bravestarr episodes had a similar problem with the characters doing things in space without spacesuits etc.

Wilycub likes this.
  9. LiamABC

Beautifully put by Wilycub!

The whole "breathing in space thing" was just lazy writing, and lazy script editing. Between them, over time, William Overgard and Peter Lawrence basically undo EVERYTHING that happened in "Exodus". They allow characters to breathe in space, they re-form Thundera, and they resurrect everyone who was killed in that episode.

Wilycub likes this.
  10. ButterflyBoy

I dunno if its that they didn't want to have them in spacesuits. I mean, look at the "Thermal Thunderwear" that the writer's actually made-up a reason for them to have to wear. And those suits, I thought, looked pretty lame.

11. mumm_ra_n_rana

those suits LOOKED like space suits. Maybe Thundera getting reformed changed the timeline for dead thunderians? But then again if mumm-ra went back in time and somehow got the planet reformed there would be no reason for the thundercats to flee it. Iif he was going around messing with time then that would mean the Thundercats themselves would not have a reason to go to Third Earth and thus returning full control to Mumm-Ra and the ASOE.
    But the whole reforming Thundera plot was STUPID anyway. I'm sorry much as I love mumm-ra and everything, the concept of him RECREATING A PLANET is just too OP. If he can god-mod planets back together or create NEW planets and stuff WHY would he even bother getting rid of the Thundercats anyway? He could just create his own planet and he and his evil masters could rule it.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  12. ButterflyBoy

Its never stated that Mumm-Ra recreated the planet. As it is, the whole notion of Thundera reforming is largely unexplained. Lion-O even states in "Return to Thundera!" that it would help to know how and why the planet reformed, which leads to the introduction of the Whisker. From there no answer is given and the question isn't brought up again. So frustrating.

adssse likes this.
  13. mumm_ra_n_rana

It's pretty much implied Mumm-Ra somehow did it due to time manipulation or something, how the moons of plun-dar got there is an even bigger mystery.

14. LiamABC

Basically everything to do with the concept of New Thundera is just plain stupid. I live in the UK, and we never got these later episodes over here back in the 80s. If we had, I'm sure I wouldn't remember the show half as fondly as I do.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  15. LiamABC

I think you're reading too much into the pyramid appearing there.

16. mumm_ra_n_rana

That might be it. If this is true somebody needs to edit the Thundercats wiki because it says he reformed the planet.

17. LiamABC

The pyramid and the fact that he tells Ma-Mutt the story of why Thundera blew up in the first place probably led people to suppose that, but really, why would Mumm-Ra re-create the Thundercats' original home planet?

adssse likes this.
  18. ButterflyBoy

The way they reformed Thundera, with no explanation, plus the HUGE coincidence would easily lead many to believe there is a connection. And maybe there is or was, but there simply is no on-screen evidence on way or the other unfortunately. In fact, what there is on screen leads me to think he didn't have anything to do with it. Remember right before they leave Third Earth, he tells Ma-Mutt that they will "explore the debris of Thundera". So Mumm-Ra is not expecting to find the planet reformed. The writer's should have included a scene where Mumm-Ra arrives there and either sees the planet reforming OR decides it would be easier to find the treasure if the planet were reformed so he decides to use his magic to do it. Either one would have helped give some clarity. As it is, it all just happens. Don't ask questions!

Tygra_Rules and mumm_ra_n_rana like this.
  19. LiamABC

Or to put it another way, Peter Lawrence goofed.

20. ButterflyBoy

I can't help but think that somehow or another the explanation got left out somewhere in the editing or rewriting process. I simply can't fathom developing an entire SEASON of a show around this event and not taking the time to answer WHY it happened.