If You Could Re-Write An Episode Of Thundercats Which Would It Be?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by mumm_ra_n_rana, Aug 25, 2016.

1. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

I don't know. It's been stated that they deliberately didn't explain where Mumm-Ra came from, so their leaving out exactly how and why Thundera re-formed is believable.

2. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

I dunno. The whole way its handled is off. If they purposely did not want to offer an explanation, you would at least expect the characters to be wondering about it themselves, which they BARELY do in "Thundercubs" and only once directly ponder it in "Return to Thundera!"

I'm not even entirely opposed to the idea of Thundera reforming - I like the way that the series premiere and finale sort of "bookend" the show, I just think it needed to be handled a lot more clearly.

3. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

Hey it's heavily implied Mumm-Ra (name gives it away really as well as EVERYTHING ELSE surrounding him) that he's from Ancient Egypt.
    As for planets reforming it makes no sense in a logical standpoint. Stars bursting and then reforming is a given thing and does happen but PLANETS?! Ii really don't want to think Mumm-ra is powerful enough to reform planets. If this were true he could have used his powers to make the thundercats spontaneously combust a long time ago or something, unless of course he did it during another solar eclipse lol. Speaking of stars... didn;t Jaga bring Thundera's sun to third earth? didn't mumm-ra stupidly open the thing and get exploded? So.. WHAT is giving light to the planet?! Does it have some kind of Light like Aether from Metroid?!

4. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Peter Lawrence always gave too much leeway to Overgard. Maybe they were good friends, I don't know. But while Lawrence always forced other writers to re-use the existing characters and not create new characters, he let Overgard do the opposite. Almost every episode written by Overgard has new characters (most of them quite unnecessary and rarely used again like Scooper). The result was that most of his episodes seem very detached from the usual TCats mythos.

And I've already expressed my disappointment with the whole Thundera reforming plot so I won't repeat that again. But I think I read somewhere that Mumm-Ra reformed New Thundera so that he could get the "Sword of Plun-Darr". I don't know how far that is true or the source.

Honestly, I'm sorry to say this but the fault eventually lies on Peter Lawrence. He was made the captain of the ship by R/B (after they ousted Starr), so it was on him to ensure that only good quality scripts are approved and continuity is maintained. But he said so himself in "Hear The Roar" that his heart wasn't into ThunderCats. He was more excited about "SilverHawks" and thus put all his efforts and energy and ideas into that instead of ThunderCats (which in hindsight might have been a blessing in disguise!) :biggrin

5. LiamABC

I think yes, Mumm-Ra's origins are Egyptian, but that's all - exactly who and what he truly is were never properly explored.

6. mumm_ra_n_rana

and the comic ,marvel and DC respectively, give him different origins. But it seems implied he was some kind of priest. The Egyptian god Lion-O ran into called him a "devil priest" and the lunataks call him a "demon priest" I am not sure if these were INTENTIONAL hints of what he was before but it would probably explain why DC gave him origins are a (semi)priest.

Ii still have to ask. If Jaga brought the star of Thundera to third earth and it went BOOM at the end of the movie because of a certain power hungry mummy WHAT is lighting Thundera now? Is it orbiting a different star? Is it lit similar to the planet Aether?

7. Wilycub

To me Mumm-Ra's origin seem to be a bit of a cross between Mola Ram from "Temple of Doom" and Imhotep from "The Mummy". :)

I don't think that was ever explained, like the numerous other things on the show. ;) If I were to come up with a theory to explain that, I'd say:

1. The Star of Thundera, since it was sentient, probably returned back to its original location after exploding and destroying Grune. If Thundera can reform, it's not too hard to extrapolate that logic to explain that the Star too reformed.

2. I'm not 100% sure, but maybe Thundera didn't reform in the exact same place where it originally existed. I don't recall there being mention of the Moons of Plun-Darr anywhere near Old Thundera. Also while Old Thundera was many light years away from Third Earth, New THundera seems to be closer, judging by how quick everybody makes trips to and from it.

Again, these are just weak theories of mine to explain something that was probably never intended to make sense in the first place. :)

adssse likes this.
  8. LiamABC

The distance part was explained away by having Tygra design and Panthro build new engines for the Feliner.

Obviously Plun-Darr was very near to Old Thundera, and I think New Thundera is meant to be in roughly the same area. Although I wouldn't be at all surprised if Peter Lawrence just clean forgot how far away that was.

Wilycub likes this.
  9. mumm_ra_n_rana

If plun-dar is so close to Thundera (either or) how come the mutants don't just go home? new thundera must be VERY close if it it can steal the planet's moons from it. What if they're in the same orbit?!

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  10. Wilycub

Now that you mention it, I wonder why not even a single episode was set on Plun-Darr? It would have been cool to see how the Mutants live there. Is it a peaceful place or more like "Apokolips" from the DC universe? Would have made for a far more interesting location than New Thundera, IMHO. :)

11. mumm_ra_n_rana

I completely agree,

Wilycub likes this.
  12. Wilycub

There was quite a bit about Plun-Darr that was hinted in many episodes:
    1. The Warbot that the Mutants had no time to build on Plun-Darr
    2. The Mutants' pet Frog-Dog (though that could be from Third Earth, but it sure looks Plun-Darian)
    3. Slithe as a cook under the command of Ratar-O

Plun-Darr just screamed to appear in an episode, but no writer obliged. :( Instead we got New Thundera, a much boring clone of Third Earth. In fact, New Thundera was so banal and like Third Earth, that even the writers made a mistake. In "Totem of Dera", the Baleful Swamp is on Third Earth but in "The Book of Omens", it is on New Thundera. :confused

mumm_ra_n_rana and LiamABC like this.
  13. LiamABC

New Thundera is basically where the series went wrong.

Tygra_Rules and Wilycub like this.
  14. Wilycub

Totally agree with you! With New Thundera came the following:
    * Jagara
    * Mighty Gyroscope
    * Treasure of Thundera
    * Uninspiring locations (Canyons of Youth, Well of Doubt, Swamp of Laughing Lily Pads)

All of which served to only weaken the series. I think the only good thing that came out of New Thundera was the Sword of Plun-Darr. But there were many other ways that could have been used to introduce that weapon.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  15. LiamABC

Plus, considering that the Sword Of Plun-Darr was originally wielded by Ratilla, surely by rights it should have now belonged to Ratar-O, not Mumm-Ra! At least the 2011 series gave the two opposing swords a mythology that made sense!

Wilycub and Tygra_Rules like this.
  16. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

And don't forget Puyra and Tygra being left behind and written off of many episodes.

Wilycub likes this.
  17. Wilycub

Very true! The Sword of Plun-Darr should logically belong to the Mutants and not become Mumm-Ra's signature weapon. I never quite understood Mumm-Ra's obsession with the Sword of Omens anyway. Sure it was immensely powerful but it couldn't be used for evil. He knew this and yet made it his life's mission to obtain. Even on the few occasions the he did get it, he didn't/couldn't really do anything with it.
    How did I forget to mention that. That was the worst consequence of New Thundera!

LiamABC and Tygra_Rules like this.
  18. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

To be fair, after season one, most if not all of the bad guys gave up on trying to obtain the sword for its power. Heck, even in some later season one episodes, the point was only to destroy it instead of use it ("Sword in a Hole", for example).

LiamABC likes this.
  19. mumm_ra_n_rana

too bad the sword of plun-dar in the remake was just a boring recolor of the sword of omens. Oh yeah, I'm NOT letting that go.

20. Captain Shiner

Captain Shiner Crabman

What's interesting is that in one of the Annuals, the Fireballs episode is featured in picture story form, and Tygra is quoted saying that he learnt to swim after a run-in with Safari Joe, which must have occurred earlier than Fireballs in the comics, as it's aired after Fireballs on TV

Daremonger and LiamABC like this.