If you were to write a character-centered episode...

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Tygra_Rules, Sep 30, 2016.

1. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

This idea came to my mind after the conversations in the "What episode would you re-write?" thread.

If you got the chance to write an episode (or episodes) centered in any ThunderCat, who would it be and what would the episode be about?

Here my ideas; feel free to add your two cents! (You can copy, paste and edit so we don't lose track of everybody's ideas).

ThunderCats as a bunch
    • I'd have liked an episode that showed their backgrounds and feelings about Thundera; how did they feel about losing their planet, families and friends?; what does becoming a ThunderCat represented to them? Did they have to leave their families like the Jedi? Maybe in such episode Lion-O could learn from their lose and how they cope and handle it so he would stop whining about missing a planet he knew for what? 4 years?
    • An episode where they solve a problem without Lion-O and the SoO. I was looking for that to happen in "Micrits". "Return to Thundera" could have been a good chance too: let Lion-O travel back in time and center his journey on finding about himself and his father, and have the TCs defeat that robot in Third Earth on their own.
    Tygra (I think he had so much potential as a character)
    • Highlight his role as second-in-command and leadership skills. Maybe, as was said in the other thread, Lion-O fell prisoner and it was on Tygra to come up with a plan and direct the TCs in a mission to rescue him.
    • Highlight his role as a scientist, to teach kids science aren't boring and you can do great things with it.
    • Him using his mindpowers to save the day, and at the end he manages to control them (like Cheetara in "Telepathy Beam").
    • Tygra overcoming his addictive personality all by himself.
    • We all joke he's the designated victim, so why not writing an episode where he addresses that and feels bad about it, only to end up saving the day? Like all those "I'm too old and useful" Sanrf episodes. Think of what DC has made with Aquaman since the New 52 relaunch. In those, Aquaman knows he's mocked by everybody and that people sees him as the weak link of teh JL, and he proves them wrong time and time again.
    Pumyra (My favorite new TC, and the other one who was mistreated all way long)
    • Highlight her healing skills and medicinal knowledge.
    • Place her in a more aggressive role. Maybe the Tower of Omens goes under attack and both Lynx-O and Bengali are put out of combat, and it's on her to save the day as the other TCs don't get to arrive on time.
    Thunderkittens
    • Make them get dismissed by the TCs because of their youth and size, only to have them save the day at the end (not like they did in "Mongor" or "Bracelet of Power", but really saving the day on their own).
    Lynx-O
    • I like Mumm-Ra_n_Rana's idea of him getting back his sight, at least for a short period of time.
    • His blindness gets him in trouble rather than being kind of a superpower.
    Panthro
    • The only thing I can really think with him is him getting over his fear to strange creatures like bats and spiders.
    Bengali
    • I must say I'd write him off. I never really liked him neither found a reason for his inclusion and his existence. If there was a bland, unnecessary charactcer IMO it was him. All we knew about him is he was a whining hothead and that got him in trouble more than once. What else could you do with that trait? Even his blacksmith's skills were shown in "Mumm-Ra Lives" and then another episode (I think) and that was it. Because, again, what else could you do with that?
    Pumyra and Tygra (when left behind in Third Earth)
    • Making an episode about how they feel about being left behind in Third Earth, and how Lion-O would solve that issue.
    • An episode that took place in Third Earth and it was on them to solve the problems (not like "Return to Thundera - Part 4", but a real problem like Mumm-Ra) because the TCs wouldn't make it on time.
    • An episode in which the TCs in New Thundera were trapped and it was on them to go tehre and rescue their teammates (or deciding to leave them like that after tehy left them in Third Earth LOL).
    Cheetara, Pumyra and Wilykit
    • There were many episodes in which Cheetara's femininity, or something considered a feminine trait, was what saved the day ("Dimension Doom", "All that Glitters", "Doomgaze", and we can assume it was because of her being a woman that she didn't fall under the siren's spell in "Turmagar the Tuska"). So what about having an episode in which Mumm-Ra disguises into a Cassanova or a Don Juan and seduces them to make them catch their teammates? Cheetara gets Tygra, Pumyra gets Benagli and Wilykit gets Wilykat (Panthro and Lynx-O can be in a space mission, or they get also caught by the women, maybe even Lion-O). Then of course it was in Lion-O and the SoO to free them and the other TCs.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Great ideas, Tygra_Rules! :thumbsup You've pretty much addressed all the issues I've had with the characters over the years. I'll just add a couple of my additional thoughts

Panthro:
    I would like to have seen him in an episode based on the Star Comics Issue 3 (Siege in Silver and Stone), where he helps an outcast Warrior Maiden by the name of Tessa and also takes on the Rockmen.

Bengali:
    Oh, so much hate and disdain for poor Bengali! (sob!) :cry I must be in the minority but I like him. That is to say I like his design. I think the fault here again lies with the writers who didn't exploit him much in their stories. Instead of just making him a blacksmith (who could only be "useful" when the SoO breaks), they should have given him more powers or abilities.

I think, just by his color scheme, it would have suited to have given him "icy" powers, somewhat similar to Chilla. Some species of tigers can live in extremely cold environments so I would have made Bengali (a white tiger) completely immune to cold. So he could easilygo to places where the other ThunderCats could not (Caverns of Cold etc.)

ThunderCats as a Group:
    It would have been cool if there was an episode where the TCats form an uneasy alliance with Mumm-Ra (and the Mutants too) to take down a common, more powerful enemy. Of course, as soon as the enemy is defeated, Mumm-Ra would turn on the TCats. :)

3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I like this thread. I think I'll join in.

Snarf and Snarfer
    I'd write an episode based around the uncle-nephew duo. I'd give their relationship some realism, too, with Snarf doubting Snarfer's role on the ThunderCat team. The Mutants and Lunataks (goaded by Mumm-Ra) would capture every ThunderCat except Snarf and Snarfer. The two Snarfs use a weapon made especially for them by Panthro, Ben-Gali, and Tygra called the Battlemaster (based on a non-LJN ThunderCats toy of the same name) to rescue the ThunderCats, and Lion-O personally congratulates them both. The whole experience is what brings Snarf and Snarfer closer than ever.

Lynx-O, Pumyra, and Ben-Gali
    An episode centered around Lynx-O and his crew would be most fitting, as they're still new to being ThunderCats. Ben-Gali brags about how being a ThunderCat is about fighting the forces of evil, and Pumyra counters that there's more to it than that. Lynx-O mediates between the two youngsters, telling them that the Code of Thundera forbids infighting amongst ThunderCats. His advice falls on deaf ears, and before Pumyra and Ben-Gali's tension escalates, the Tower of Omens comes under attack by the Mutants.

Slithe and his bunch want revenge on the three ThunderCats for what they did on Fire Rock Mountain. Ben-Gali charges the Mutants head on in the HoverCat and fails miserably, which is when he finally discovers what being a ThunderCat really means. He joins his fellows in the ThunderStrike, and together they force the Mutants to fall back. Afterwards, Ben-Gali and Pumyra make peace, and Lynx-O smiles. Cheetara, Lion-O, Tygra, and Panthro arrive in the ThunderTank after the Sword of Omens warns Lion-O of what's happening. They're assured by the latter three ThunderCats that everything is under control.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    adssse and Tygra_Rules like this.
  4. Tygra_Rules

Are you a relative of Peter Lawrence? You too left Tygra out of the episode :(:mad:

Daremonger likes this.
  5. Daremonger

Just edited my post to include Tygra. Sorry about that. LOL.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  6. Tygra_Rules

:):tygra

Daremonger likes this.
  7. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Interesting ideas. It would have been nice to have proper character-centred episodes without the Sword fixing everything just at the drop of a catchphrase.

Mark M and Daremonger like this.
  8. Daremonger

What would be your idea of a character-centered ThunderCats episode?

9. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

Not sure off the top of my head, but certainly Tygra's mind power and science skills are worth highlighting. Maybe have an episode in which he formally learns to swim!

Just ideas. At the moment I'm a bit O.D.'ed on things like this as I'm currently writing a Visionaries fanfic, and after a discussion with a friend, am working out how I would fit into an episode of Cheers!

Daremonger likes this.
  10. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

I'd actually write an episode where Mumm-Ra does something to infect the Thundercats with some kind of virus and they would all get sick except for Pumyra who could have been exposed to whatever it was that made them sick and she had to go out and find the cur, which she learned from the berbils or Willa and her sister that the cure only grow in a certain location so she quickly sets out on a journey to find it but mumm-ra finds out what she's up to and sends the mutants to stop her. She outsmarts them all and finds the cure and then while she's on her way back Mumm-Ra decides to stop her himself and goes after her.
    She manages to get back though but barely and she manages to give Lion-O and the others the cure and they all fight him together and when he's gone the thundercats praise Pumyra for having her healing skills and for saving the day.

Note: The sword of omens is not used as a insta-cure and he only does the catch phrase after everyone is better to rally them together to fight mumm-ra.

adssse, Tygra_Rules and Daremonger like this.
  11. Daremonger

I like your idea for Pumyra. ;)

12. Daremonger

I'd write a five-part story where the ThunderCats would need some additional air travel while on Third Earth. That's where the ThunderWings (an LJN exclusive) come into play. They've got the Feliner, the HoverCat, the ThunderClaw, the ThunderStrike, and the ThunderKittens' spaceboards, so the concept of ThunderWings would be up their alley. It would give them an excuse to explore more of Third Earth for the parts they need to build the ThunderWings.

They run into trouble, unfortunately -- mainly in the forms of Mumm-Ra, Ma-Mutt, the Lunataks, and the Mutants, but also the Insectoids (from the Marvel ThunderCats comics) and Stingers (another LJN creation), the Rockmen, the Giantors, the Trollogs, the Mudhogs (from "Mandora the Evil Chaser"), the Feerits (from "Lion-O's Anointment: The Trial of Speed"), the Crabmen, Molemaster, and the Driller.

Being the followers of the Code of Thundera they are, the ThunderCats use their wits and intellect (not just brute force) to defeat their enemies, and they assume their search for parts to build the ThunderWings. They succeed, and they return to their respective fortresses to begin work on their latest air vehicles via Tygra and Lion-O's designs (even the Lord of the ThunderCats has to contribute something to a ThunderCat project). After a test run, the ThunderWings prove to be a success, and the ThunderCats agree to use them whenever they want to.

adssse and Tygra_Rules like this.
  13. Tygra_Rules

I like the idea of the TCs divided and facing different threats on Third Earth, something like what happened in episodes like "Divide and Conquer", "The Time Capsule" or "Mechanical Plague", for example; I like those episodes in which every TC got a moment to shine and show his/her abilities.

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Daremonger

Indeed.

15. mumm_ra_n_rana

unfortunately as the series went on it was more and more about Lion-O.

I know a lot of people think Bengali is completely pointless but I think there should have been at least an episode or two where he's given a reason for existing.

adssse, Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  16. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I totally agree. Bengali was criminally underused. It's like the writers forgot all about him and Pumyra. It would have been nice to see some sort of "friendly" rivalry between Pumyra and Cheetara, kinda like the one between Wonder Woman and Hawkgirl in "Justice League Animated Series". And Bengali should have been given some powers/abilities other then just repairing the Sword of Omens.

17. mumm_ra_n_rana

maybe the writers just didn't like tigers or pumas.

Tygra_Rules, LiamABC and Daremonger like this.
  18. Daremonger

Will the Sword of Omens be a deus ex machina for your ninth episode idea?

19. Tygra_Rules

Nope. The SoO wouldn't be deux ex machina in any episode, have I written them ;)

LiamABC and Daremonger like this.
  20. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I would have liked to have seen an episode with Lion-O and Bengali as friends on an adventure together. They seemed about the same age and similar personalities.

adssse and Daremonger like this.