Iizuka

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by ButterflyBoy, Dec 4, 2016.

1. ButterflyBoy

ButterflyBoy Thunderian Legend

Hey folks, I have always wondered something. Remember the dragon Iizuka from "Helpless Laughter"?

[​IMG]

I think its pretty obvious that he was named after Masaki Iisuka, who was credited as "In Charge of Production" on Thundercats. But also, given that Iisuka (the dragon) has all dragon features and then a relatively human looking face...do you suppose it was also modeled to look after him? I know there is no way to know for sure probably, but its fun as always to speculate.

I would have to say I think Iizuka is modeled after the animator. It seems too much of a coincidence for him to be named after the guy and also have such human looking features. I imagine it was just a form of well-intended ribbing from the animators to their boss, and keep in mind that he had been working on Thundercats for a good long while at this point. What do you all think?

Wilycub and Daremonger like this.
  2. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I feel kinda sheepish admitting this, but I never made the connection between the dragon's and the animator's name until Zax recently pointed it out to me. I believe in the script the dragon's name is spelled "Eezuka", perhaps so as not to make the connection too obvious.

As for the face.... hmmm... it certainly is a possibility. Here is a pic of Masaki Iizuka so that everyone can decide for themselves:
    [​IMG]

I don't know if the animators did this out of respect for their boss or as a joke. :)

3. ButterflyBoy

Wow, thank you for all that info! I personally think that the animation looks pretty similar.

4. ButterflyBoy

While we're on the subject, the only other instance of a character being named after a production person that I can think of is Hatchiman's great uncle Nishida, who seems to be named after one of the animators. Are there any I might be missing?

Wilycub likes this.
  5. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Yes, to the best of my knowledge, those two were the only ones who were named after the animators. I checked the list of animators and none of the other names ring a bell.

On a similar note, in the 2011 series, the secret word for the Forever Bag is "Rankinbass". :)