IMDb shutting down their Message Boards

Discussion in 'Introductions & Off Topic' started by Wilycub, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Here is their official statement:
    "IMDb is the world's most popular and authoritative source for movie, TV and celebrity content. As part of our ongoing effort to continually evaluate and enhance the customer experience on IMDb, we have decided to disable IMDb's message boards on February 20, 2017. This includes the Private Message system. After in-depth discussion and examination, we have concluded that IMDb's message boards are no longer providing a positive, useful experience for the vast majority of our more than 250 million monthly users worldwide. The decision to retire a long-standing feature was made only after careful consideration and was based on data and traffic."

A lot of people I know, myself included and some members from here, used to frequent those boards to discuss the various movies and shows. So it's kind of a bummer. :(

2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's a shame. I think that is a really silly decision to get rid of the message boards on IMDB as that was a great way for users to exchange information on the various movies and TV shows. This reminds me of when YouTube changed their settings and got rid of the message system.

3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I agree. Of course there were a lot of trolls there, but that's expected on any Message Board of that size. But the individual movie discussion boards were a great way for people to exchange views, discuss, and debate. It also was a good place to get any sort of info that you might be looking for by asking other members there. There were many movies and cartoon shows that I had watched many years ago but could not remember their names. IMDb message boards helped me to identify them. :)

I've heard a lot of rumors and different reasons as to why it was shut down. Don't know which, if any, of them are true.

Mark M likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Oddly enough I identified/found a robot toys I used to have on eBay the other day. It was exactly the same, same box etc except my toy was maroon and white where as the one on eBay was black and grey. The reason I mention it here is that the writing on the box was the same/very similar to the font/style of Thundercats.

5. Zack

Zack Junior Member

I think I have a very bad feeling on why they did that. but that will have to be discussed in the Great Void.

6. The Bat

The Bat Active Member

Yea I'm so upset over IMDb shutting down the message board. Makes no sense why they did this. If it ain't broke don't fix it

7. KosmoKat

KosmoKat Junior Member

Real shame man! Had a lot of fun debates on there.