Improving / updating the cartoon FAQ

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

Hey guys I've pulled together as much info as I could find on the show from various sources in an effort to get a more complete FAQ resource up and running.

Could you please read and review and let me know if any of this is incorrect or was later debunked?

ThunderCats FAQ

Q: What are the stones, and what do they do?
    A: The power stones each have special properties that imbue the owner with powers. When the stones are combined - like on the Leo’s / Lion-O’s clawshield for example their power is enhanced and they form an armor.
    Sprit Stone - is seen giving Lion-O a shield in ep 14 that reflects lizard lazer bullets, gives Lion-O a golden armor running from the clawshield up to his shoulder when he defeats Mumm-Ra in the Astral Plane in ep 13, gives Lion-O a chance to earn a second life in ep 15.
    War Stone (Eye of Thundera) - has immense power and is considered the penultimate Power Stone. It’s credited as the reason the Cats have dominated the other races. It is cubic in form but changes and merges into the space in the Sword of Omens and can do the same in the Sword of Plun-Darr. Unlike the other stones that are affixed to a gauntlet, it is meant to be wielded within a sword. It gives off immense plasma blasts and imbues the right user with sight beyond sight. There are likely a number of uses that we’ve not yet seen because Lion-O is still learning about it.
    Tech Stone - used by the birds to keep their cloud city in the air with anti gravity emissions. Is credited as being the main reason why the bird race is so technologically advanced.
    Soul Stone - it was never named in the show but revealed by Dan Norton at Power Con panel. Unsure as to it’s powers but the search for this stone is closely tied to Lion-O’s quest to unite the races against Mumm-Ra.
    Combo 1 - Spirit Stone and Soul stone combined on Mumm-Ra’s Gauntlet of Plun-Darr to transform into the Armor of Plun-Darr.
    Combo 2 - War Stone in Leo’s sword and the Tech stone placed on his Clawshield transformed into the Armor of Omens.

Inspirations for story plots and character designs

Tookit - Oliver Twist
    Forever Bag - Mary Poppins bag
    Hattanzo - Hatori Hanzo
    Power Stones & Gloves - Infinity Gauntlet
    Wily-home - The Hobbit Shire
    Ponzi - Old West snake oil salesman / con artist
    Moby Dick - Ramlak Rising - Catpain Tunar’s quote from Moby Dick and Star Trek II Wrath of Khan
    Soul Sever - inspired by Death (name came from a character Dan had designed for a game he was playing called Champions Online)
    Sycorax - Godzilla (hinted at by Dan on his Deviant Art page concept)
    Ratilla - loosely tips the hat to Atilla the Hun?

------------

Q: Why is there not much of an intro to the new series? The old series had a great, longer intro with a memorable theme song.
    A: Two answers given, the creators of the new series didn't feel they could top the old one and Cartoon Network required a short intro.

Q: Is Thundera still another planet?
    A: No, Thundera is now a Kingdom on Third Earth.

Q: How can Tygra be Lion-O's brother and if he's older, why isn't he Lord of the ThunderCats?
    A: Tygra is adopted and because he is not of the royal bloodline, he can not be Lord of the ThunderCats.

Q: Why do the ThunderKittens have tails?
    A: In this new series, Thunderians with tails are considered to be lower class.
    Full answer from Crew Blog by Dan Norton: http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...ats-on-toonami-when-i-was-young#disqus_thread
    I first saw ThunderCats on Toonami when I was young, and I love the direction you're going with the new one! I even made my own fan intro.

One question, why can't we see the Thunder Kittens ears? Are they just hidden by their hair? It reminds me of how they were drawn in the original.
    staroutlaw
    As we wanted to diversify the cat races (and other animals species). My
    approach was to give some tails and also make the ears different. For
    WilyKit and Kat, the points of their hair is actually the tips of their
    ears. That’s right, the whole part of their head is their ear.
    The fur along the side of their head is, well, ear hair. So when you see Kit tie up her ponytail it’s actually pinning her ears back. My hope was that we could use the animal characteristics of putting the ears back when scared or threatened or perking one up when trying to listen would be interesting for a more dynamic character trait. Especially for comedy.
    While we’re here let me explain the tails a bit. Again, I thought it would be cool to introduce social class stigmas amonst the thunderan people. Having been born with a tail in some opinion would be considered less evolved. A birth defect if you will. But as a design element, like a cape, the tail can give a sense of direction on a stagnant pose or give a sense of direction or movement to the arc line of the pose. In real life, cats tails can tell us more about the emotion of the animal. For example if it’s sitting still the tail may be swatting with a thump (which from watching my cat) meaning it’s going to pounce in a moment. Or when it slumps shows the cat is relaxed.
    There is also the play that the tail helps with the balance of the cat, since the kids are like the acrobats of the group, I wanted to keep that aspect. Hope this give some insight…

-Dan

Added: It is now known that Panthro once had a tail as well.

Q: Can Snarf still speak?
    A: No, he only makes cat-like sounds now and is considered Lion-O's pet rather than a nursemaid.

Q: Will any of the ThunderCats from the original series not appear in this new series?
    A: All ThunderCats from the original series will appear in the new one, including Lynx-O, Bengali, and Pumyra. No word on Snarfer.

Q: There hasn't been any sign of the Mutants besides Slithe. Will any of the others appear?
    A: Yes. The creators have said the others will show up.

Q: Are they still called Mutants in this series?
    A: Unknown. So far, we only know of Slithe's people as being called the Lizards.

Q: Will the Berbils be in this new series?
    A: Yes.

Q: Will Lion-O and company build a Cats Lair fortress?
    A: No, word is that they will find refuge in the Tower of Omens. The Cats Lair is seen in the city in the Kingdom of Thundera where Lion-O was raised.

Q: Who are the voice actors for the new ThunderCats series?
    A: Will Friedle - Lion-O
    Satomi Kohrogi - Snarf
    Emmanuelle Chriqui - Cheetara
    Larry Kenney - Claudus
    Corey Burton - Jaga
    Matthew Mercer - Tygra
    Eamon Pirruccello - WilyKat
    Madeleine Hall - WilyKit
    Clancy Brown - Grune
    Dee Bradley Baker - Slithe
    Kevin Michael Richardson - Panthro
    Robin Atkin Downes - Mumm-Ra

Q: How many episodes will there be in the first season?
    A: 26

Q: How many seasons will there be?
    A: At least two seasons were planned but only one was produced.

Q: Are any of the voice actors from the original series in this new series?
    A: Yes. Larry Kenney was the voice of Lion-O in the original series. He is the voice of Lion-O's father Claudus in the new series.

Q: How old are the ThunderCats?
    A: Lion-O=17
    Tygra=19/20
    Cheetara=19
    Kit/Kat=8
    Source: Crew Tumblr: http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/8539085553/thanks-for-the-follow-ive-been-a-tcats-fan-for

Can you tell me what kind of creature Ramlak was based on? It reminds me of a sea anemone, but a plant instead of an animal. What was it officially?
    alleluiaelizabeth
    Dan Norton:
    Well, initially it was going to be a 5 headed ancient sand/sea turtle with squid arms, but due to animation simplicities… We ended up going with a cross between a sea anemone meets a starfish meets a watermelon meets a cactus. The tentacles weren’t designed to be tentacles but rather like giant worms that that have a symbiotic relationship with the creature like tube worms on the side of a black smoker at the bottom of the ocean. These worms defend the creature and feed it. In the end, they just play like tentacles and that’s okay.

Ok, this must be asked. Panthro: Why the mutton chops? Was it just to make him look older? Cause I admit he does look much younger without him on the flashback. Or did you just want to do something different with him?
    balgus82
    Okay… Panthro, you really wanna know?
    The point to Panthro’s looks was to step away from the pretty cookie cutter hero type. I wanted to convey a bad ass with faults. It’s easy to be a clean cut, good looking guy hero. This Panthro is imperfect, weathered, scared, broken. I like the fact Hulk Hogan has a receding hair line, does that make him weak? Like Hogan, his charm wins over his imperfections. Besides if you look, Panthro’s hair is reminiscent of a Samurai’s cut. This infers a sense of tradition and harbors strong personal values like honor, loyalty, and duty.
    Traditionally, in Japanese film you may see hero’s with a toothpick in their mouth, this isn’t just to clean teeth. Often samurai would put it in their mouth to signify they we’re full so people wouldn’t offer food to them. Even if starving, they nobly did this so others who were suffering would eat. This is a round about way to say the haircut was part of that thinking.
    Besides, Panthro was steeped in martial arts more than the others in the old version. So, the haircut is very samurai inspired to carry on the Asian influence.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...ed-panthro-why-the-mutton-chops#disqus_thread

What animals are the new Ancient Spirits of Evil based on? And will we find out more about them?
    balgus82
    Monkey, lizard, bird and jackal.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...w-ancient-spirits-of-evil-based#disqus_thread

Is Tygra's ability to go invisible/cloak natural or does it come from the whip? The latter would be considered tech I'd think so is it natural or something else?
    stahscream
    It doesn’t come from the whip BUT he needs it to go invisible.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/9891147544/is-tygras-ability-to-go-invisible-cloak-natural-or

Does Mumm-Ra or Leo's armor have a name? What are those forms called?
    balgus82
    Armor of Omens
    Armor of Plundarr
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...rmor-have-a-name-what-are-those#disqus_thread

where did Wily Kat's weapon come from? I think he used it as a musical instrument last episode, but (besides on the toy) we haven't seen it used before that. also what exactly is it? some sort of grappling hook?
    balgus82
    He’s had it since episode 1. We just haven’t had a chance to showcase it. The weapon is called a Flink. It’s a type of grappling tool to steal and out-of-reach items for stealing.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...eapon-come-from-i-think-he-used#disqus_thread

just for pure curiosity's sake how far ahead are ya'll in production? I remember a few months ago the voice cast said they were done with the 26 episode season. has the animation and everything caught up? do you work on one episode at a time or multiple episodes?
    balgus82
    Mmmm. There’s no easy question for that! Let’s just say we’re on the later half of the 26 episodes.
    We work on multiple episodes at once. I’d say we usually work on 5 or more episodes at the same time all in various stages.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...tys-sake-how-far-ahead-are-yall#disqus_thread

Who did the character design for the wood forgers in the latest episode? I like them.
    angrylittleboy
    Dan did concepts and Takahiro-san did the final.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...-design-for-the-wood-forgers-in#disqus_thread

how does Cheetara change the lenght of her staff? is the staff itself enchanted to do it, or does she use her own personal cleric magic? could she do that with any staff?
    balgus82
    It’s part of the cleric ability as that is their weapon of choice. The staff that she got in the Magic Oar has other “qualities” to it…
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...ange-the-lenght-of-her-staff-is#disqus_thread

What species are the Duelist, the Conquedor, and the Wood Forgers? The only thing I can think of to call them is "Third Humans."
    staroutlaw
    On the production, we’ve called them “”Inhabitants of Third Earth”.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...e-duelist-the-conquedor-and-the#disqus_thread

How long does it take to make an episode? I imagine it's a long time.
    armisael
    Pretty long…I’d say the accumulative time would be between 5 to 6 months per episode.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/...ke-to-make-an-episode-i-imagine#disqus_thread

Does Claudus' wife have a name?
    onetwotea
    Unfortunately not, we just called her The Queen.
    http://crewofomens.tumblr.com/post/21305498554/does-claudus-wife-have-a-name#disqus_thread
    Was named Leona in Dan Norton’s rough concept
    http://dannortonart.deviantart.com/art/The-Queen-297319382

On the second season (from Dan Norton’s Deviant Art page)

DanNortonArt Sep 20, 2013 Professional
    I totally understand your concerns on what we were planning. Bear in mind however, you aren't getting the context to how you'd be getting this information and where it lays in the storyline, so it would be hard to delineate for anyone just how it was going to play. This is why I wanted to deliver the reveals in a podcast where I could go step by step. What I put out there in the panel at Power Con was just the tip of the ice burg. Quite frankly, nobody wants to hear about characters getting killed off, but for what the pay off was and in our restrictions to how many people we can animate at a time, we just couldn't have a final battle with 100 characters running around. We'd have to give resolution to characters that are fitting in a war setting of epic proportions. Oh and trust me when I say, there is a happy ending.
    As a artist and writer, especially when you're contributing to something you love, it's hard to always get a story just the way you want it. That is multiplied by a thousand when you're working collaboratively. Multiply again to deal with public opinion and desire. I have been a ThunderCats fan since I was 12 and it compelled me to become not only an artist but to fight for over a decade to bring it out of the closet to get the love it deserves. Some may believe I was not the man for the job, I will argue that point till I'm dead. Partially because of the 20 some years that professionals of all kinds attempted to bring it back and part due to the dedication I gave to this property. I'm not saying the team and I didn't make some mistakes, but I'm sure nobody could have done it better.

Cheetara’s wrist and ankle weights (Dan Norton’s Deviant Art page)
    DanNortonArt Jan 23, 2013 Professional
    It's very simple, they are magical weights. Cheetara is a cleric in training. She needs the resistance to make her stronger. But the weights are much more than just that, they are metaphorical as well. Though we haven't revealed her past, like her guilt, the weights hold her back from her true potential.

Confirmed that Bengali is the future son of Tygra and Cheetara (Dan’s Deviant Art)
    TheBlueBlurr97 Sep 20, 2013 Student Artist
    Isit true that bengali is the son of tygra and cheetara, because i was told by thundercatsnow that he was and i wanted to hear it from you because you know alot more than us fans

IT IS..... TRUE!

[link]

TheBlueBlurr97 Sep 21, 2013 Student Artist
    Is he still a white Tiger

DanNortonArt Sep 23, 2013 Professional
    Yes!

Confirmed that Lion-O does eventually find love! (Dan Norton’s Deviant Art page)
    janey85 Oct 4, 2013
    I really hope you answer me, if you don't its okay, but just wondering does lion-o ever end up with a girl?
    DanNortonArt Oct 10, 2013 Professional
    Yes, Lion-O ends up with a female. !

Insights on epic final battle:

I totally understand your concerns on what we were planning. Bear in mind however, you aren't getting the context to how you'd be getting this information and where it lays in the storyline, so it would be hard to delineate for anyone just how it was going to play. This is why I wanted to deliver the reveals in a podcast where I could go step by step. What I put out there in the panel at Power Con was just the tip of the ice burg. Quite frankly, nobody wants to hear about characters getting killed off, but for what the pay off was and in our restrictions to how many people we can animate at a time, we just couldn't have a final battle with 100 characters running around. We'd have to give resolution to characters that are fitting in a war setting of epic proportions. Oh and trust me when I say, there is a happy ending.
    As a artist and writer, especially when you're contributing to something you love, it's hard to always get a story just the way you want it. That is multiplied by a thousand when you're working collaboratively. Multiply again to deal with public opinion and desire. I have been a ThunderCats fan since I was 12 and it compelled me to become not only an artist but to fight for over a decade to bring it out of the closet to get the love it deserves. Some may believe I was not the man for the job, I will argue that point till I'm dead. Partially because of the 20 some years that professionals of all kinds attempted to bring it back and part due to the dedication I gave to this property. I'm not saying the team and I didn't make some mistakes, but I'm sure nobody could have done it better.
    Allusion to T-Cats being ‘created’ by Mumm-Ra
    HalfWayHeroes Mar 15, 2013
    Hey Dan! I just wanted to tell you that I just finished watching the entire run of the 2011 ThunderCats. It was amazing! I'm incredibly saddened that it's coming to an end. I hope we all get to see it come back one day. Anyway, I do have one lingering question about something that bothered me throughout the series: why are the 'dog' people so much more 'dog-like' than the cat people are 'cat-like'? It seems the cats or more humanoid in the face but the dog people are just dog heads on top of human bodies. Sorry for the silly question. Please respond though lol
    DanNortonArt Mar 18, 2013 Professional
    It's not a silly question HalfWayHeros, it's a very good observation. If you notice, all the other animal peole are a bit less evolved then the ThunderCats. In fact you could say they are a bit more human looking. I'll at one point explain it all someday in a public forum so that way everyone can be in on it to get closure. Thanks for watching and the kind words!!

Plan was for 52 episodes
    DanNortonArt Feb 20, 2013 Professional
    We had a plan for the conclusion of the show and we developed the story and the characters beyond to episode 52. At some point I'll share publicly what that plan was so people can get closer for the story, but I'm done with ThunderCats. I did all that could be done and then some over the course of 14 years.

Bunch of answers: One of the moons is significant

DanNortonArt Dec 8, 2012 Professional
    Some answers..
    Spirit of Evil, best answer.
    There is indigenous life on 3rd earth. The planet is the Bermuda triangle of space. The rest about the planet is a secret for now.
    Tygra's whip and bracelet to work together. Can't tell you how yet. His invisibility is a form of magic.
    No, you won't get a map, but we made one.
    Panthro's tail getting cut off was going to be a running gag. We'd never reveal it, but when he encountered people he knew, they'd ask him if he used to have one. This is akin to the old, "I thought you'd be taller." bit. He may tell someone at some point, but best to leave it to the imagination.
    We had a flub with our initial breakdown of design between the show and bandai. Tygra's green armor was to be a final form. Tygra wasn't supposed to have it yet. It's complicated. End of the day, in the confusion, we couldn't edit it and the show got trimmed in serveal episodes so our solution got cut out. Same with Lion-O.
    Pumyra, I love her. She's got a great story. All a part of Lion-O's ability to see past the flaws for the good. Struggling with love. Evil is powerful! We had big plans here.
    The moons, yes. Like all of our stories, sometimes the answers have been with you the whole time. Answers about 3rd earth.
    We have big plans for Cheetara and her past, her relationship with Tygra and her position as a cleric.
    What blue stone? The tech stone? Can't say, secret.
    Love Toonami, it's been doing well there. Glad it's getting watched.

As reported by MTV Geek at Powercon 2013

Dan Norton explaining that in the second season (and beyond), fans would have come to understand a strange secret about Lion-O's one-time babysitter. Norton asked fans to recall all of the times Snarf has fallen, been electrocuted, or battered--seemingly without coming to any harm. We would have learned that Snarf was in fact impervious to damage, the result of ancient experimentation by Mumm-Ra to create a genetically-superior race. This tinkering would ultimately lead to the creation of the ThunderCats.

This explains why the Cats look more human than the other races, why they seem more evolved.

Powercon comments on Pumyra

"She sees the greatness in Lion-O," Norton says, "and the way that he sees the greatness in her, she sees the greatness in him, possibly allowing him to save her from the bonds of Mumm-Ra." Still, power beckons, and in a second season, she would have asked to capture the ThunderCats because she knows them--but she would demand more power from Mumm-Ra. He would grant it--at the price of her beauty, transforming her into an insectoid, wicked creature. In her final final encounter with the Cats, she's prepared to deliver the coup de grace to Lion-O, with the ThunderCats leader being unwilling to fight back, but Tygra takes the killing shot to save his brother's life, ultimately creating more tension between the two characters.

Powercon comments on S-S-Slithe and Lynx-O

Villain Slythe would also get some time in the spotlight--and a graceful exit from the series--once fans learned the very personal reason for his hatred of the ThunderCats. "What you know about Slythe," Norton promised, "we were going to break your expectations." Fans may remember that at the beginning of the series, we see the other races on the planet treated as second-class citizens, or worse. Ultimately, they rally to Mumm-Ra's cause with the promise of the ability to rise and control their own destinies--but for Slythe, it was clear they were being manipulated.

In a solo episode for Slythe, we would learn that he holds a special grudge against soldier Lynx-o, one of Claudius' generals responsible for expanding ThunderCat territory and pushing the lizardmen further back into the marshland. One of the lizardmen festivals would be based around the hatching of the next generation, with the males going off to hunt for food and the females tending to the eggs. However, to quickly clear out the marsh, Lynx-o burns a large swath of land, killing the hatchlings of Slythe's tribe.

After he's lost all of his friends, after he's lost everything, he vows at his wife's gravestone that he would give his soul to get revenge. Cue Mumm-Ra, who offers him just that exchange, putting Slythe on a collision course with Lynx-O, who he would decapitate, finally taking his revenge. But as the Lizard-men become enslaved to Mumm-ra, he sees that Lion-O's quest for the Soul stone would unite the races. He would betray Mumm-Ra and give Lion-O the stone, leading the villain to kill him.

2. TMNachoT

TMNachoT Crabman

Great thread!!

3. matius

matius Junior Member

DN mentioned in his DA:

Pumyra was 20-21 at the time of her death.
    Panthera only be Leo's girlfriend, not his wife.

4. Rizefall

Rizefall Swedish Meatball

Super nice thread. Great job!

5. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I totally agree. :3