Inflamor!

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by AutobotC5, Dec 24, 2007.

1. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Alright, here we go again...

My original post was lost during one of the board snafus quite some time ago, I think. Meanwhile, I forgot where online I stored the pics...and I had some data retrieval problems from where I had them at home... Anyway, to make a long story short, I've re-uploaded my pics where I know they'll be for a long while, so...here (for the umpteenth time) is my Inflamor custom!

[​IMG]

The Inflamor was tops on my list of “characters who were too cool not to make the cut as figures”. He's another one of those wonderful characters that help make the world of Thundercats so interestingly diverse and unpredictable. Plus he was no pushover (like the Mutants far too often tended to be). Maybe I liked him so much because he reminds me of the talking skeleton from The Last Unicorn...I dunno. Anyway, he's one of the few characters I liked well enough to spend the time trying to make a good custom of him. I put this figure together around '99 or so. He was made from two figures that were readily available at the time: a Curse Of The Spawn (upper body) and a Frankie Raye Nova from the old Toy Biz 6” Silver Surfer line (lower body). The lower body didn't require any work, really...just had to take out one or two sections of Nova's jointed “hair” and remove it from the figure. It formed the perfect tapered lower body and had a spiffy base to keep the figure stable.

[​IMG]

The upper body required more work though. First, I separated the figure at the waist, and removed all the “bone” armor stuff from the upper body. This left a few unsightly holes in the body...so I filled them in with A+B Poxy Putty (save for the one in the small of his back...I could live with that one). I tried to sand as much of the Spawn-esque detail off the figure (to give it a more “animated-style” appearance), with limited success. In the end, I decided I could live with much of the muscle texture detail as well, figuring the paint would wash a lot of it out.

[​IMG]

The big reason I went with the COTS figure was that the basic face/cranial structure was already incredibly similar to the Inflamor...which I figured would minimize the amount of work I would have to do. I figured a bit wrong though. I did significant work to the head, again using A+B Poxy Putty to make the skull more rounded (i.e., give it more body) as well as to form the nose, cheeks, and jaw. I also carved out the mouth, as it was a solid block between the upper and lower teeth on the original figure.

[​IMG]

Hardest part in making this figure was getting the paint to look right. At first I tried spray enamel, but the yellow turned out too thin. Removed that, and tried undercoating with white, then going over in yellow spray...still didn't work. So with a white undercoat and a half-ass yellow spray overcoat, I got some Citadel yellow and started brush-painting him in flat yellow. This finally achieved the effect I was looking for. Citadel paints were also used to finish up the eyes and teeth, and the head stripe was done with Testors enamel.

[​IMG]

So...there ya go. As you can see, he looks just a tad scrawny next to Lion-O, but he fits in pretty well overall with my other Thundercats figures.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  2. rateeg

rateeg Junior Member

im not quite familiar with this character but you did an excellent job. :)

3. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Thanks rateeg! For a little more background, the Inflamor (or Inflamer, if you prefer) appeared in Episode 17, "All That Glitters". :)

4. catspat

catspat also known as...Leppardra

I know this character. The Inflamer is a mercenary who lives in a volcano and needs gold to literally fire him up; he reforged the Sword of Omens after it was first broken in the "All That Glitters" story. He also made a quick cameo appearance in "Lion-O's Anointment: The Trial of Evil", when Lion-O was invading Mumm-Ra's pyramid to battle the demon-sorcerer unarmed.:bengali:

And I agree with rateeg. You did a great job custom-making this figure. :D

Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  5. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I've seen this custom alot before (courtesy of Andrew McCabe) It's one, if not the best custom made figures I've ever seen from Thundercats!

Excellent work!

6. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Thankies catspat! :) I had forgotten about his cameo during the Anointment Trials episode...

And after going back and checking out some of rateeg's custom work...rateeg, dude, what I do doesn't hold a candle to your stuff. :) Again, thanks for the compliments!
    Thanks BC! Been meaning to repost him since the board reset itself. I certainly appreciate the vote of confidence...it's one of my best customs, but I think it's far from the best TC custom I've seen over the years. ;)

It's been so long ago, I forgot Randy had hosted a pic of him for so long. That led to some fun emails from kids wanting to buy the thing from time to time. Randy and I always got some good laughs out of those. :rolleyes:

Hopefully one day soon I can tackle some of the other characters I've wanted to see represented as figures...just waiting for the right fodder to come along...:D

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  7. The Villain

The Villain Junior Member

Nice work

You could try making Plutar or Quickpick next.

These two needed to be included when the figures came out back in the 80's

:D

8. Originalthundercatroar

Originalthundercatroar Vortex Explorer

Gorgeous job there! Magnificent! :cool::thumbsup:

9. Lody666

Lody666 Berbill

I dont man-he looks pretty dead on to me. I like the lower body too. Great work!

10. Cheezey

Cheezey Laser Beast

I hadn't seen this custom before... very nice job on it!

11. Purrsia

Purrsia Moderator

That is cool.

12. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Dredged this ancient, decrepit thread up from the morass, as I wanted to get the photo links updated to make them visible again. :)

13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Awesome custom. Also I like your profile pick of The Baron.

14. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Great work on the Inflamer custom!

15. Princess Xena

Princess Xena Staff - Encyclopedia TC.org Staff

That's a very impressive figure you've got there.

16. eternian phoeni

eternian phoeni Moleman

Excellent job my friend! he's fantastic!

17. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

Many thanks again, folks! :) Now to get to work on some other characters... ;)

18. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Good luck to you.

19. AutobotC5

AutobotC5 Junior Member

I'm all about being an LBC :p so when Bandai brough out their Red Effect Flame sets, I had to grab one to stick with the Inflamor. While the set doesn't blend all that well with the existing flame base, I may mod the old base to better fit in with these effects. Still, pretty neat. :)

[​IMG]

20. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I would say it looks pretty darn good together. Nice work!