Interview with Brian Flynn from Super7

Discussion in 'Super7 ThunderCats Toys' started by Sebastiaan, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I can at least assure you this topic was discussed in the interview.

mjw41 likes this.
  2. mjw41

mjw41 Berbill

I saw it in Pixel Dan's Power con walkthrough with Brian. Brian mentions they might do 5.5 Thundercats and do plan on reaction and Keshi but not until the end of 2020 because they want to focus on Thundercats Classics first.
    Bless you Brian Flynn :tygra:cheetara:mummra:slithe:monkian:vultureman:snarf:mamutt

Sebastiaan likes this.
  3. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

so is the interview being edited by super 7?....and not you

4. Sebastiaan

Awaiting approval on some things before publishing it. That’s all I can say.

5. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

I had hope for 5.5's myself, but I figured after Funko started them, there was no chance of S7 ever continuing.

A good friend told me that S7 originally pitched the 5.5" T-Cats idea long before Funko came into the picture.
    -----------------
    :panthro

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  6. Sebastiaan

Correct, Brian also confirmed that.

Sword Breaker likes this.
  7. Cobrala

Cobrala Junior Member

Just to be clear: from what I know of Funko:

Their lead designer, Reis O’Brien, is a 5.5 fanboy. He has a sidecompany that he makes original characters with.

Reis spent years pitching Remco style figures and I think Funko has always wanted a side hustle aside from Pops. After years of pitching 5.5s, he got to make one with Zorn. He sold WB on more. Most Savage World figs (aside from Street Fighter and 3 horror figs) are licensed from WB.

WB approached him about doing something with DC under the caveat it couldn’t be comics or movie based without conflicting with Mattel. He came in with Primal Age designs. (Sadly, he rarely gets credit because of the viral marketing hoax that they were a lost 80s toyline.)

He also pitched a bunch of other stuff like Frankenberry and cereal mascots and Universal monsters as 80s barbarians, which nobody wanted to make.

Thundercats grew out of the relationship between Funko and WB. I don’t know if he even knew Super7 had pitched the same thing.

As far as I’m aware, Super7 and Funko independently did 5.5 MOTU style Thundercats designs. I don’t think anybody ripped anybody off. It’s a natural thing to want especially if you were an 80s kid since about 60% of the LJN figures were nearly MOTU sized already.

Reis wants badly to make more 5.5s. Unfortunately, many never sold well. Thundercats and Primal Age sold well but suffered from a factory going off spec on one set of orders for each.

Right now, Funko has shelved the format but MIGHT consider Primal Age wave 3 and 4 and renewing Thundercats if Wave 2 sells well enough but is not onboard unless sales are huge. There are unused designs.

There’s a very good chance Super7 will make its own 5.5 inch TCats. I expect the interview will cover a bit more. I think Funko may have a shot at the license renewal in that style but might not be interested in doing anything beyond MAYBE a reissue and maybe one more wave.

Super7 definitely seems like they’d be up for a full roster to take the place of the Filmation Vintage MOTU figs.

Mark M and Sword Breaker like this.
  8. Sword Breaker

Sword Breaker Crabman

Good grief, COBRALA! Maybe SEBASTIAAN should do an interview with you! :)
    -----------------
    :liono

9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Reis O'Brian always seemed a cool gut. I used to read a lot of his various blogs.

10. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

any update on the interview?

11. Sebastiaan

It’s coming, promise.

mjw41 and Sword Breaker like this.
  12. mjw41

mjw41 Berbill

I hope after all this waiting and whatever editing Brian is making to the interview that it is worth it

Last edited: Sep 25, 2019
  13. Baedal

Baedal Active Member

Will there be news in NYCC?

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Hopefully the interview is released before NYCC.

15. Sebastiaan

I posted a tease of the interview on Instagram. It is only some of the questions, but couldn’t post more because of what it will reveal of our conversation. It was enlightening to talk to Brian and I’m sure you will all be happy with the interview.

motogp_fanatic, mjw41 and Ianm1225 like this.
  16. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

If you have a teaser....then does that mean you have the interview already?....

Sebastiaan likes this.
  17. ninja cat

ninja cat Staff Web Guru TC.org Staff

link?

Sebastiaan likes this.
  18. Cobrala

Cobrala Junior Member

ninja cat and Sebastiaan like this.
  19. Sebastiaan

Just a quick note: the interview will be published this week! Stay tuned and thanks for all your patience.

20. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

Okey-dokey!

Sebastiaan likes this.