Iron Studios has new statues (1/10 scale)

Discussion in 'Modern Collectables' started by tone, Jan 28, 2020.

1. tone

tone Moleman

They just posted WilyKit & WilyKat on their Instagram, saying they will do the other reveals at a rate of one a day. But in one pic you can see Lion-O, Tygra, and Snarf. I’m mobile or I’d post the pics, someone else can help out with that.
    price is what you’d expect from Iron Studios: the kids are $150. Maybe the set will be at a discount because a la cart will be insane.

Edit: oh, and these are not the deformation maquettes from Mini Co.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  2. tone

tone Moleman

[​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  3. tone

tone Moleman

[​IMG]

Daremonger likes this.
  4. tone

tone Moleman

[​IMG]

shortfuse and Daremonger like this.
  5. tone

tone Moleman

Panthro sculpt is getting my side-eye so far, as is the paint but I need more pics. Most sculptors get him wrong, especially his face (which, I have my personal theory about that, but whateverman at this point). Hopefully, the details are at least on point so I can feel good talking myself into it.

edit: I'm seeing some concerns. If this thing weren't likely to be $150+, I wouldn't be critical, but since it's priced like high end product, that's my expectation. Panthro is missing a left arm band (couldn't get it around that injected bicep I guess), and his boots look hard-bottom (and maybe dark colored? ok, the more I look the more I'm annoyed. They got Tygra's feet correct! If he can have that, why can't Panthro have his soft boots? I think artists do some weird projections on his design. Like, they just have to make him "Big Lug"). For reference on why this is annoying, Panthro's boots are a simplified version of Shaolin Monk style footwear:
    [​IMG]

Hopefully, no left wristband (the most common error) - but since the right wristband is blue leather not metallic, who can predict?

And the musculature and height scale once again are off for Panthro.

I'm convinced there needs to be some sort of official annotated model reference so even when artists go off model, it's still anchored to the character design. For example: first of all, since Panthro lacks a mane, you have to lean on other details to ensure Big Cat comes across, which doesn't mean give him a feline nose, but means, smooth that face (wtf is that jawline), and especially make sure the eyes are cat's eyes. And despite being muscular, he's a martial artist, not a body builder so go for stout frame with lithe muscles like an olympic wrestler, not a bodybuilder.

re-edited for posterity, plus my own reference. I started out in "getting it no matter what" territory and now I'm probably not. Dammit.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  6. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I'm grateful that the ThunderKittens have been included. I'm hoping Iron Studios'll make statues of the rest of the main characters as long as they're allowed to.

tone likes this.
  7. Daremonger

Tygra's outfit is colored wrong as well. It's supposed to be sea green, not blue.

tone likes this.
  8. tone

tone Moleman

I am as well, but at this price point, and claiming they used original reference, they ought to be more accurate, or say this is their non-canon version. They’re claiming fidelity, charging a premium, and delivering fan art.

Booshman likes this.
  9. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

At first glance these statues look quite impressive. But when you look closer, more and more things are wrong. I do not mind they are not based on the cartoon, but well...

Look at Panthro here. Maybe it's me, but look at his neck. Thats looks off by a mile.

[​IMG]

And that weird third strap on his back. What an odd thing to unnecessarily add...

[​IMG]

Tygra looks okay, but why did they botch his outfit? They copied the LJN design, ignoring the strap thats supposed to go over his left shoulder.

[​IMG]

Cheetara looks okay! Not accurate to anything, but a good interpretation of her, even if a bit generic.

[​IMG]

Lion-O is also NOT accurate to anything, which is fine, but he looks like he's insane! Look at his face!
    [​IMG]

Also, look at the left side of his torso. That's not right. Snarf looks fine, no complaints.

[​IMG]

Kit & Kat look pretty good, but the their hair is placed completly off, its too far back and it looks terrible!
    [​IMG]

Also their proportions are a bit off. I think their arms, again especially Wilykat's, are way to short and skinny. Also, agai, look at the hair!

[​IMG]

Look at Wilykat's fist. Thats a tiny, tiny fist.

[​IMG]

Looking past the design flaws, they do look good when displayed together. But when you're looking at $779.95 (before shipping and Europeans are looking at EUR 1000+ after shipping and tax) to get the full set, its a hard sell. All in all, to me, these are def. not worth their price tag.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    tone and Daremonger like this.
  10. Daremonger

I honestly wish that Iron Studios had referenced the original ThunderCats model sheets and production cels.

tone likes this.