Is Thundercats Fandom slowly dying?

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by Blackwing, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Blackwing

Blackwing Junior Member

Since the close of the new Thundercats show and multiple toy-line revival cancellations, is thundercats fandom nearing its end?

(not just suggesting anything, just thought it might be a good topic for conversation)

2. Ideal

Ideal Glass Walker

you could perhaps look at it similar to the Masters of the Universe franchise.

both big in the '80s, both with arguably failed relaunches in both cartoon and toy form, both with various iterations in comics and things like that peppered throughout

the main difference here is that Mattel, a toy company, owns the Masters of the Universe property, and can drag it out of the closet whenever they want and dust it off and start making toys again, like they have with the recent and very popular Masters of the Universe Classics line of figures, which has renewed interest in the property in other ways, bringing them back into comics and paving the way for a potential live action movie (again)

Thundercats, on the other hand, is owned by Warner Bros, who has their hands in a lot of different projects at any given time, and despite them having access to pretty much any media avenues they want, they dont seem to be as interested in pushing this type of animated series anymore (as evidenced by shows like Young Justice getting the axe).

someone at Warner needs to take an active interest in Thundercats to get it where it needs to be. With in house animation studios, DC Comics, and a lengthy partnership with Mattel already on the books, all that really needs to happen is someone within Warner remembering how much they loved Thundercats and set up some sort of game plan

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  3. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

That is so true. :)

4. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

Nice topic!

Well, I dont know about others, but I´ve been collecting (anything) ThunderCats since I was 6. So I have a love for the cartoon, figures, comics etc. from a very early age. Back in the day, before the internet, collecting was pretty hard (especially for a kid). I had no idea what my collection was missing, had never heard of an Astral Moat Monster and thought my friend's BenGali figure was Invisible Tygra. As I grew, my love, knowledge and collection of ThunderCats grew with me.

What I sometimes see happen these days is that people get into ThunderCats collecting and "just" buy big-ticket items from eBay to have as much as possible, as soon as possible. After a couple months, maybe a year, those items pop up again on eBay and it starts all over again with a new collector. Now, this is not a bad thing, everyone should do as he or she pleases.

What I'm getting at is that maybe the newer fans/collectors havent had enough time to fall in love with the ThunderCats as I have. A lot of people know ThunderCats as "O yeah that show.. I watched it ALL THE TIME!" and they may buy a POP! Lion-O or a MEZCO Mumm-Ra for old times sake. And sometimes it jolts them in getting their old toy from the attic and getting that feeling again and BAM! a new fan and collector is born!

So yes and no; I do think the ThunderCats-DIE-HARD-fandom has reached its peak, but the general ThunderCats fandom is very much alive AND going strong! :thumbsup:

5. Cap'n Cracka

Cap'n Cracka Mutant

This is a very interesting topic!!!

I don't believe that Thundercats fandom is coming to an end. I agree with ThunderianRoyalGuard and think that the DIE-HARD Thundercats fans have reached its peak but Thundercats fandom is still alive.

Not to rehash an old topic but the new Thundercats series being shelved was an overall dropping of the ball by the WB and Cartoon Network and I also believe the cancellation of the toy lines (not including Bandai because again the ball was dropped all around) were an overall lack of marketing. I may be wrong, but unless you came on to these forums or other Thundercats fan sites, you really had no idea that the statues or toy-lines existed. The Thundercats facebook page has over 2 million people and realistically speaking, I think it would be fair to say that only about a 1/10th of those fans are fans that come to websites and forums like this. So there is a HUGE fanbase that is just not being exposed to the information. Similar to the cartoon, if you don't air commercials or advertisements, how is anyone going to know? Even the Thundercats facebook page which is literally FREE ADVERTISING that fans come to you for, did a very poor job all around promoting their own product. Even now the last post was from July 1, 2013. Part of keeping fandom high is keeping it in the mind of fans.

When you don't keep it in the mind of fans, it becomes exactly that the "Oh yeah that show!! I used to watch it ALL THE TIME". It becomes almost an after thought. When that is the case it is hard for people to really reach that die-hard level of fandom.

There are new Thundercats popping up everyday as you can see by the LJN toyline always selling. Staying with collecting seems to be the hard part though. Just as there are always new collectors popping up, there is always people no longer able or looking to collect various reasons.

It's all an ebb n flow. When the new series was one I would say attention was pretty high there but now that is over it is going back to what it was like before the announcement of the new series. Things have been and are quieting down right now but eventually it will climb back up.

6. Daremonger

Tell it like it is, dude. :thumbsup:

7. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

I believe the fandom has died in certain circles. Take a look at www.thundercatsfans.org The website hasn't been updated since October 2012 and the last message in the forums was by me this past December.

8. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

I wouldn't be surprised if it died down more than a bit. I think the hardcore fans will always be there but if Thundercats dosn't get a revival often enough like Transformers, Ninja Turtles or Power Rangers, it's just going to be us. Maybe a few newbies here and there but I really don't think Thundercats will ever have any staying power without new material.

9. Daremonger

Fan fiction is another way to keep "ThunderCats" alive.

10. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Great topic!

I dont believe that it will ever die, but it certainly has taken a hit. As others have said the die hards are locked in and will stick around. I am a long time Thundercats fan but didnt join the forum until 2011. There is a huge difference between that time and now as far as user interaction. It would certainly help expand the fan base as a whole if WB would take a greater interest in the property, but as long as there are those of us with a strong interest it will continue on strong.

11. Blackwing

Blackwing Junior Member

I think another piece of the puzzle is collecting.

I always think of the average age of the fans. Like by now those of us original 1985 fans, we must be all in our 30s. Perhaps married, with a house and maybe kids. With limited money or time to spend on thundercats. Or if we have money and time we're buying what we want and not really selling it again because the effort doesn't equal the profit. For example when I was 25ish I probably built and sold my thundercats collection at least twice. I needed the money, 50 or 100 was a lot of money then. But now I've been sitting on my collection for years. I don't desperately need the money and 50 or 100 isn't going to pay my mortgage really. I only sell if I have a redundant piece that's nagging at me.

Which is my point, if people stop buying and selling thundercats stuff, then collectors get bored and get disinterested. Part of what I think makes the transformers fandom so popular is that there is always new things to collect. New things to drool over wanting. Getting new stuff drives people as sad as that is, I think it's true.

When I collect something it feels great to get that impossible piece and that feeling drives the hunt. If there's nothing out there to find, there's no hunting.

I don't think this explains everything, but I do think its part of it.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I had originally wrote a far longer comment but I will just get to the point. WB are not releasing any products to interest fans or bring in new fans.
    WB need to release some Classics style figures similar to MOTUC and TMNT Classics.

13. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I agree with both you and Blackwing. Toys are a large part of this fandom and has always been closely tied to the cartoon.

14. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

WB needs to release products that the vast majority of Thundercats fans will collect. As much as I love Thundercats I have no interest in collecting £50-£250 statues or over priced mini-mates. A lot of people are not in the position where they can drop tons of cash to support the franchise. It does not seem that the vast majority of people on this site don't even collect these products.
    TMNT Classics and G.I. Joe 25th Anniversary figures are a prime example of nostalgia based lines that still gets picked up from other collecting communities.
    In Thundercats case it seems the only way would be for a set up like MOTUC. However I think that system would cancel out a lot of more casual fans with not being able to pick up the figures in the shops.
    Although even with all the crap Matty pulls I would put up with it to get some Classics Thundercats figures.
    Maybe the best thing would be for Nickelodeon or Hasbro to purchase Thundercats from WB as they have done nothing worthwhile with the franchise since releasing the OS DVDs. Fair enough they did the NS but it was not a great success.

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Mark I think you are on the right track with your line of thinking. I would very much like to see something similar to the TMNT and GIJoe classic/anniversary stuff (so long as it doesn't take away from the originals). The feeling I got from being able to go into a store and see pegs full of Thundercats figures was special to me. I also think it is great for the franchise.

As far as Mattel and their MOTUC line, I would still be in favor of that. I would do my best to buy any that I could but they are pricey which would make it difficult even for those of us who have a strong interest.

16. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Buying online just isn't the same as being able to go and get the toys you want in the shop. :D

If it were being done like MOTUC I would also buy all the characters etc....however unlike MOTUC I would only be wanting A list characters. Mainly those that appeared in the original toyline. None of the D list characters like MOTU are doing.

17. Daremonger

I'd be okay with Hasbro or Nickelodeon buying out the "ThunderCats" license from Warner. :D

18. Ectimus Lithe

Ectimus Lithe New Member

It sure would be a shame if it was.

The Sword of Omens SHOULD be able to hold it's own with:
    Lightsabers
    Energon Axes
    Arashikage steel
    Power Swords
    and sewer-katanas

Look at the popularity of CATS on the Internet.....
    Combine that with the popularity/love fest of sword play...

Maybe it's the villain?
    Maybe Mumm-Ra doesn't have the same charisma as a lunatic Cobra Commander, Skeletor, or Starscream. Nor the cool-factor of a Darth Vader or SoundWave. Shredder can go deep or bland depending on the day. But I never got much personality from Mumm-Ra. It's a crime that the recent cartoon got cancelled. It was a quality reboot.

19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The problem is Hasbro, Playmates and Mattel kept those weapons sharp over the years. Yet WB have lot the Sword of omens get dull and rusted lol.
    All those other big 80's toylines never really left the public eye. They were satisfying older fans and bringing new fans with either new toys, reissues of the vintage toys, updates of the classics, movies, TV shows and comics. When Thundercats ended in the late 80's nobody did anything with the property until 2011...well there was a comic in 2003 but the mass general public were not aware of it.

20. MXTHUNDERCAT

MXTHUNDERCAT Laser Beast

classics line

i dont think Thundercats cartoon will get revived anytime soon....like for the next decade at least....the ONLY option left for this franchise is a classics line.....i dont see any other way.....