Kinetiquettes Lion-O vs. Mumm-Ra Statue Diorama

Discussion in 'Statues' started by Mark / Grizzlor, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

From our front page: http://thundercats.org/2015/04/new-statue-line-by-kinetiquettes/

[​IMG]

The creative team at Kinetiquettes.com would like your input on this draft design for Lion-O on a new line of licensed statues that they're creating. Do you like this Lion-O design, or would you make changes to it?

What do you like about the design and what would you keep?

Would you buy a statue in this design?

2. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra Glass Walker

Do not want

3. Mark / Grizzlor

Tim, please be specific about what you would like to see change.

4. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I like the new Lion-O design, though if I'm honest, I'd prefer his outfit to be changed to leather instead of armor. And he should have black pants and grey boots.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  5. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I like it. I'd break up some of the blue so it's not one giant bar of one color though. And I think he needs a stronger chin. I don't like the belt though. I'd prefer something a little closer to either the classic or New series' belt.

Also, say no to mullets please. I like parts of his hair, but be careful that it doesn't look like a mullet.

6. Mark / Grizzlor

"Say no to mullets"
    - Balgus82

Words to live by.

7. throwback

how about keep it simple and simply create a statue of an LJN action figure. Although it will be statue but at least we will get the original classic. I would detail the sword of omens and glove also :)

8. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Quoting balgus as it pretty much echos my sentiments with the blue outfit, hair and chin! I am not sure how I feel about the beard as if they are going that route I would prefer to see it fuller. Also if they are going with the shoulder armor I would like to see it on both shoulders. Overall I do like the redesign although I doubt I will be purchasing any statues.

9. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra Glass Walker

Why spend money on the license just create something untested and completely different? Seems like a recipe for disaster especially considering the previous sales trend with ThunderCats statues. What demographic are they trying to hit? I like the idea of dioramas in the classic style and I can understand some styling changes/updates but this is more than just a subtle redesign.

[​IMG]

Recreating the classic group shot in the classic style could work. Piece out each character to create the final shot. incentivize future purchases by creating a complete dynamic scene.

10. GTMQ8

GTMQ8 New Member

I don't like the beard. It makes him look old. The costume design is very nice and otherwise would make a very cool figure.

11. Kinetiquettes

Kinetiquettes Verified Statue Company

Thanks for the input everyone. We are getting a lot of mixed responses, but considering the history of TC collectibles, we are considering the classic version as a display option as well.

Although, we were wondering, What do you guys think of the face being closer to the classic but the costume was this one?

Stay tuned. We'll reveal the "scene" eventually :)

12. balgus82

I've always kinda liked the idea of Lion-O growing a beard as he gets older. It fits with the Lion theme and makes him look less human and more feral without putting a ton of sculpted fur all over his body (which I've hated in previous statues). Lion-O and Cheetara always were the most human looking of the team. I agree that if you have the beard it should be fuller. Though I don't think you have to go overboard. Maybe just add an inch or so.

I do like the redesign idea. It helps differentiate you from other ThunderCats statues, which honestly kinda start looking alike after a while.

Edit: I will add that if you do decide to go full classic, I would still absolutely love to see what the redesigns of the rest of the group would've looked like.

Edit 2: Here's a really quick mock up of what I was talking about in my previous post. Feel free to use or disregard whatever you like. [​IMG]

13. Mumm-Ra

Mumm-Ra Glass Walker

It's nice to know you're considering the classic style. I don't want to see another incomplete set of statues. Collecting Icon Heroes was painful enough. It's the 30th anniversary and the line-up so far this year is grim. Mezco seems to be placing future expansion of the license on the upcoming Tygra statue and PrototypezStudios seems to be stuck in WB approval hell. Some company needs to stand out and hit the nostalgic nerve. Create something instantly recognizable and marketable to capitalize on the anniversary.

14. Mark / Grizzlor

I think with PrototypeZ Studios it's been more a case of them not working on the line due to being swamped with other projects. From what I've heard from other producers the WB approvals get turned around pretty quick.

15. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I posted this in another thread as well, but I just wanted to say it is nice to see the interaction with the fans and a willingness to listen. Thank you!

16. Daremonger

Indeed it is nice. :)

17. Kinetiquettes

Cool! We like it. Appreciate the effort.

Yes, you guys have spoken we can't keep our eye/ears shut. So classic it is. Now the question is, whether we include our design as display option or not. Although our design is also going through some updates based on all your feedbacks and suggetions.

We are fans of TC ourselves but our fans make us who we are so we appreciate all your inputs! :)

18. Daremonger

Thanks, Kinetiquettes!

19. Kinetiquettes

We knew there was a risk going with our designs, but there are people who like it more than the original. Plus, its not considered fan-made if its approved by WB.

But we understand that Thundercats has a nostalgia that people cling on to and want it unchanged in any way. So hence we will offer the classic version as well for you guys. Especially considering, in the past, statues based off even the classic design has been cancelled due to poor response. However, we are confident, that the pose we have designed for our first diorama, will be something people will appreciate and support. Or atleast we hope they will :)

20. balgus82

If it's anything like their Street Fighter statues it'll be limited to around 300 statues and cost $300+. I don't think they really need mass appeal to sell that quantity.

As for new designs, I remember people reacting the same way when the Reboot's designs were released. They cry foul and then fall in love with them after their gut reactions subsides.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015