Kyle's Collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by kzlambert, May 27, 2006.

1. kzlambert

kzlambert Illustrator & Animator TC.org Staff

I have been a fan of Thundercats since I was around 3, which was around 1989. Thundercats had been around for a few years in the Uk and was on its way out. Therefore most of my collection is made up of second hand carboot finds. I had a new Thundertank, Nosediver and a few others but the rest were special finds.

Despite this fact I managed to get everything that was released in the UK. I have a few of the boxes flat packed. I have most of the small figures and the playsets that go with them, original videos, puzzles and annuals. There are a few accessories missing but overall I am happy with my collection, so glad I did not sell it (I would be so guttd now!)

My biggest 'want' when I was little was the Cat's Lair. So much so, my dad ended up making me one. It was nearer to scale than the toy version (fitting a Thundertank under the arms) and it was awsome. Looking at it now it is not as impressive, but it was great when I used to play Thundercats. I would love a boxed collection but it is way too expensive to start up a collection of those now.

This is going to be an on-going thread because I need to re-photograph it all, but you get a feel for my collection From these two pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

I can't wait to see some the reactions of people to the cats lair! There are a lot of AVID toy collectors on this board Kyle...to say that the lair is amazing is an understatement. :)

3. He-Fan

He-Fan Legacy Team Member

Chris here...

That is one heck of a Cats Lair! Does it have an "inside", so to speak? I'd love to see more shots of it, do you still have it? :)

Take care... :)

4. kzlambert

Unfortunately thats all I have (honestly I have looked). We had to get rid of the Cats Lair quite a while ago for space. But I can tell you that there were levels inside, but not really well decorated. If I made one now, which If I had room, I would be working on now...I would make it as accurate as possible. We are talking rooms control panels and even the surrounding terain! One Day... I may post some plans for one if I get time.

5. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Kyle that is just an amazing Cat's Lair...it mustve been a lot of fun to play with it as a kid. I think someone will eventually make a custom one

6. kzlambert

digging out those pictures has wet my appetitie, I'm so tempted to build a mini one that is accurate. But I really don't think I have time. I would slap someone who came up to me and said they were bored! Ive never been bored since I was born lol

7. matt

matt Thunderian Legend

That Cat's lair is pretty impressive. I love how the Thundertank can actually fit inside the paws. Its a shame you had to get rid of it.

8. kzlambert

I finally got around to displaying my collection. I don't have room to show off the play sets or vehicles, but I like how these look.. Its gunna be a pain to dust!! lol

[​IMG]

9. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Hey Kyle that Lion O you have there is pretty rare, it just so happens that 1st series Lion O's were not only made with the orange hair but with a maroon hair, the maroon haired varsion is not seen as much as the orange version does. Just a bit of info :) That being said Lion O comes in 3 shades of hair: orange, bright red and maroon.

10. kzlambert

Thanks for that Manny.. I am not amazingly well up on the toys in terms of different versions. That Lion-O is probably in the best condition out of all of my figures as well..:) Nice to know..

11. Vintage

Vintage Glass Walker

Kzlambert, I wish I had a Cat's Lair like yours when I was a kid! I didn't even have a Cat's Lair, it was never sold in Brazil, so I had to make one with pillows and use my imagination. I put He-man's battle-cat on top, pretending to be the Cat's lair head!

Just a question: What was it made of? Wood?

Take care!

12. kzlambert

Hey Vintage thanks for your comments,

Yes the main body of the lair was constructed with wood. The top bit (shoulders and head) were made out of wire and fibre glass. There was also an electronic TC logo on the chest and the eyes of the head that both light up red.

I wish I had been old enough to have a design input. Making one now would be so much fun.

Speak soon

13. Chromeagle

Chromeagle Barbarian

Great collection and that Cats Lair is truly grand.