Kyle's Customs

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by kzlambert, Jul 15, 2006.

1. kzlambert

kzlambert Illustrator & Animator TC.org Staff

Ok, I eventually got around to doing a custom. With all of the talk of a new series there is debate about how the chracters should look. I am a big fan of the way the characters of Thundercats were designed and animated, therefore it is my view that for a new series, there should be very little that should be changed. Although I agreed that some updating would be required, until now I had not figured out what that update would be.

Lion-O Concept​

Ok, I had a spare few hours today so I decided to draw an updated Lion-O. My main concern was to make Lion-O look as close to the original as possible, yet have a slightly more modern look. Here is what I came up with.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope to re-work this at a later time, as this is step one, and I kind of rushed it.. keep posted for more soon :)

[​IMG]

2. Thundercutter

Thundercutter Junior Member

I am becoming a big fan of your work Kyle, but I must say this design doesn't do it for me. The way it is drawn is beautiful as usual and the computer colouring is smooth, but it is just missing something. I prefer your accurate 80's pictures. Maybe it is just me not liking a change to the original, what does everyone else think?

3. kzlambert

Thanks for the comment, fair enough you are not mad on it.. but its just an idea.. and its my first so maybe I will get better at them :)

4. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I think it's the cats Symbol. I think it should be lower down (middle of his chest) and perhaps be a touch bigger.

5. kzlambert

Maybe so.. it was only a quick concept as I say, took me about 2 hours in all and my main intention was to provide something for the custom section of the site :) I may take my time with my next one and get it perfect..

6. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

He looks like he has man boobs, maybe its just me :?

7. kzlambert

Holy hell lol...i think these comments warrent a re-design... :eek: I will get on it

8. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

I think Neil hit the nail on the head. I think we're all used to seeing the cat symbol on the belt and it just looks plain or like something is missing. I don't necessarily dislike it since it still resembles Lion-O, but I think making the insignia bigger might just make a huge difference. :)

9. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Hey Kyle did you ever do a re-design and got rid of the man boobs ???

10. Bengali

Bengali Rampager

I've always invisioned a new Lion-O with pants instead of just briefs..