Legend of Korra at Comic-Con!!

Discussion in 'Other Cartoons & Collectables' started by balgus82, Jul 20, 2011.

1. balgus82

balgus82 Thunderian Legend

I was looking at the panel listings for SDCC and found this for Saturday.

"4:00-5:00 Finally! Nickelodeon: The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra: Exclusive First Look— Creator team Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino, co-executive producer Joaquim Dos Santos, supervising producer Ki-Hyun Ryu, and composing team Ben Wynn and Jeremy Zuckerman give an exclusive sneak peek at the continuation of this element-bending saga. Moderated by Megan Casey, executive in charge for Nickelodeon. Room 6BCF"

Whoever is going wouldn't mind getting us a peek at that too would they? pretty please? lol

2. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

I'm pretty sure AvatarSpirit.net will post whatever is revealed.

Seriously..to much awesome is happening at this Comic Con. ThunderCats, Voltron..now Korra.

But yes, anyone going should swing by if they have the chance. Korra is the other epic animation project going on at the moment!
    Merged Post:

I present to you...the new Avatar.

http://yfrog.com/z/h4m20rbj

She looks nice, better than I imagined. X3

I do wonder about that dog thing though...we never saw them in the original..

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

I've been curious if this new cartoon will be any good. The general premise of it doesn't sound all that great to me, but I'm hoping I'm wrong. And I just really like the characters in the original.

Korra looks a lot like Katara to me.

4. balgus82

She's from the Water Tribe like Katara was.

5. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

The same Water Tribe actually. Which makes her case even more interesting as Katara and Aang got married... So Aang probably spent many of his years there. I am curious if Korra's going to suffer feeling like she lives in the shadow of Aang..it'd be an interesting take.. And something she could find in common with Tenzin..

6. Lord Slithor

Lord Slithor Mutant

I understand that one of the major characters will in fact be the son of Aang and Katara who will teach Korra how to Airbend. Unfortunately, it's also my understanding that all the original characters from Last Airbender will be dead by the time of the new series, including my favorite character, Toph. :(

7. balgus82

they said not all the characters will be dead. some will have cameos, though no word on who. I'd say Toph might have a good chance of still being alive since she was so young in the first series. it's only supposed to be 70-80 years later which would make most of the main cast younger than King Boomy was.

8. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

Pffft. If someone should be alive it's Toph. Toph as an old lady would be one of the most epic things ever.

The irony of Korra's situation is that the first three elements she learns are water, earth and fire. And we all know Katara, Toph and Zuko where masters of their elements by the end of the series...they'd all be above Boomy if they kept their game up till they became old. xD

And then there's the "friendships that trancend lifetimes" thing.

9. balgus82

Toph already was above Boomy. She's the worlds first metal bender.

10. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

Sure, but they don't have to look the same.

I doubt it. I would think she'd have the same response to her past lives as Aang did to his. They're all a part of her. She was Aang.

Although I did hear that the actor who played the voice of Zuko has been asked to join the voice cast of the new one and from what I read, he was surprised by who but wouldn't tell us. Maybe Zuko's still alive? Or maybe his new character will be the Avatar's love interest?

I didn't like the time frame I read because it seemed to me that Aang dies fairly young.

I gotta admit, I wasn't a Toph fan. I would have been fine if they hadn't created her character. (dodging stones)

11. balgus82

Aang wouldve been in his 60s or 70s I believe with that time frame (not counting time frozen). he was 10 at the beginning, then say live another 50 years, then give Korra time to become a teenager. he'd be in his 60s. not all that young, but not retirement home old either.

12. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

Makes me wonder if he and Katara don't come to some kind of tragic end.

13. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

It was mentioned Aang most likely died because he used most of his avatar life force keeping himself (and I guess Appa) alive in that iceburg for 100 years.

14. balgus82

Couple new images.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And unlike Thundercats *cough* Korra is getting live updates during the panel.

http://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23korra

• A trailer was shown, and they used the music from the ATLA season 3 trailers.
    • The city is called United Republic and it was founded by Aang and Zuko.
    • The two guys in the poster with Korra are Mako (firebender) and Bolin (earthbender), and they are brothers.
    • The polar bear dog is female and her name is Naga.
    • Bolin has a pet fire ferret named Paboo.
    • There will be new flying bison and new lemurs.
    • There will be two seasons -- season 1 will have 12 episodes, season 2 will have 14 episodes.
    • Aang and Katara had three kids, Tenzin being the youngest and only airbender.
    • Tenzin has three kids of his own.
    • Anti-benders use chi-blocking.
    • There are metalbending cops.
    • Toph traveled the world to teach metalbending after the war was over, and her daughter Bei Fong is the chief of police.
    • There will be mixed martial arts in the series, and the music was described as 1920s jazz invented by the Chinese.

And here's the trailer! http://nicktoons.nick.com/videos/clip/nicktoons-avatar-legend-of-korra-teaser-cx24.html

I'm not sure I like the whole "modern" look, but I'm still going to watch.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  15. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

That was just awesome..really..really awesome. I liked what I saw and the whole modern city look seems to actually fit..hell, it makes it even more epic.

It's taking the same theme as ThunderCats. Old vs new. How a world is affected by the advancements in technology.. I'm eager to see how each tackles this subject.

16. balgus82

17. CodeofThundera

CodeofThundera Moderator

Mentioned by fans or by someone involved with the show?

Spoiler Warning for everything below...

I'm not keen on the premise, that she seems to focus all her energy on one city. It doesn't feel like an adventure which the first one did. And I agree about not being a fan of the whole modern feel. Part of the charm of the original series was that feel.

How can brothers bend different elements? Unless by chance one parent was fire and one was earth?

There's a city in the Philippines called Naga City. Wonder if that's where they came up with the name.

That's it? Doesn't sound like they're putting as much heart into it as the original.

Is that the same thing that the one girl in the original series did? I can't remember her name at the moment. The girl from the circus who was friends with Zuko's sister, not Mae but the other one. When she touched Katara, Katara couldn't bend. Is that what they this is?

18. balgus82

Don't mistake the amount of episodes as not having "heart." They've simply just have one story to tell and there aren't going to be all the "filler" episodes that were in the original. 26 episode shows are very common in Japan. One of my favorite anime for example, The Vision of Escaflowne, only has 26 episodes. It still very much feels like a complete story.

And yes Chi Blocking is the same technique Ty Lee used in the original.

19. Kameinu

Kameinu Mutant

Comic Con Panel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwmCEr264sA

And Aang dying because he used most of his energy in the iceberg was comfirmed last year in one of the first Korra announcements. You can look around avatarspirit.net for it. I'm not going to dig through their ridiculously long theads.

20. balgus82

Nice find! :D Now I can hear more than the snippets I found on Twitter.