Let's sort out a continuity order for season 1

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (1985)' started by LiamABC, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

The "All That Glitters" episode suggested that the ThunderCats knew nothing about "gold," which is what Thundrillium is made out of.

2. thezaxfactor

thezaxfactor Staff Writer and Moderator TC.org Staff

No, not quite. They were unfamiliar with gold, yes, but thundrillium is a distinct metal. When the meteor struck Hook Mountain, the heat from the impact was enough to melt and alloy gold present in the bedrock with the thundrillium in the meteor. That's why they had to melt it down again—to separate the two metals.

catgurl, LiamABC and Wilycub like this.
  3. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

That's true. And your point made me realize that in the continuity order suggested in this thread, Tower of Traps is placed before All That Glitters even though the TCs knew about Gold in the former and not in the latter.

4. LiamABC

LiamABC Thunderian Legend

It's possible that they know about the colour gold but not the metal. Tower Of Traps does need to be pretty damn early because of the lines at the start about making the maps.

5. Tygra_Rules

Tygra_Rules Thunderian Legend

I've just watched PKELL's episode recount and something came to my mind.

I know the following episodes were aired really apart, but could Mumm-Rana come after the Feliner arc?

At the end of The Feliner, part 2, Panthro, Cheetara and the kittens leave to deliver Snarfer in his planet, and they're away in Mumm-Rana? Couldit be that theey were still in space delivering Snarfer?

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    Sebastiaan likes this.
  6. LiamABC

I'd clean forgotten about this thread!

You know, putting "Mumm-Rana" right after "Feliner" is one of the first things I thought about. It could be possible but it's by no means a must as it's clearly a separate trip, it's got the same characters in the spaceship but they're seen blasting off again at the start and Cheetara (who seems to be in charge of Feliner missions a lot) mentions that they are trying to get laser maps of the local area. Also there's the question of whether the Mutants could get the Rat-Star fixed that quickly.

Sebastiaan and Tygra_Rules like this.
  7. LiamABC

Further on that question, "Mumm-Rana" probably should be sooner rather than later after "Feliner", as getting the maps would be something they'd want to start with sooner. You know, it's so long since I looked at my spreadsheet for this, or even watched the episodes, I need to refresh my memory!

Sebastiaan and Tygra_Rules like this.
  8. PKELL

PKELL Barbarian

For my ordering of the season 1 episodes, I think we can agree that the first five (Exodus, Unholy Allince, Berbils, Slaves of Castle Plundarr, and Pumm-Ra) work as the first 5. They introduced everyone, the bases, and concludes with all the TCats meeting Mumm-Ra face to face for the first time.

Feliner works as a good delineation point as certain episodes have to come before it (Lord of the Snows, Spaceship Beneath the Sands, a bunch of non-Feliner episodes) and certain episodes have to come after it (Jackalman's Rebellion, Sword in the Hole, Mumm-Rana, Eye of the Beholder, Fond Memories).

And for me, I like to think of the Anointment Trials as the finale. The entire season was about Lion-O's journey from boyhood to man, and that feels like the payoff to it.

I'll put together a chronological order that makes sense to me later.

Sebastiaan likes this.
  9. Tygra_Rules

I always considered the Anoinment trials as a mid-season finale,or a mid season premiere.

Season 1 has 65 episodes, same as "season 2". But season 2 has three 5-episodes arc (not considering the TCs Ho! movie, the other three 5-eps arcs being the ones that lead some people to divede it into seasons 2, 3 and 4). So, I always thougt season 1 needed a break at some point in th middle, and the trials fit just right. So, the season 1 eps could be divided in pre-trils and post-tils, the latter with Lion-O having already fulfilled his destiny as Lord of the TCs.

In that case, thse series would be something like this:
    • Introduction arc (Exodus, Unholy Allince, Berbils, Slaves of Castle Plundarr, and Pumm-Ra) = 5 eps
    • Episodes 6-30 = 25 eps*
    • Anoinment trials = 5 eps*
    • Episodes 36-65 = 30 eps*
    • ThunderCats Ho! arc (eps 66-70) = 5 eps
    • Mumm-Ra Lives! arc (eps 71-75) = 5 eps
    • Episodes 76-90 = 15 eps
    • Thundercubs arc (eps 91-95) = 5 eps
    • Episodes 96-110 = 15 eps
    • Return to Thundera! arc (eps 111-115) = 5 eps
    • Episodes 116-130 = 15 eps
    * The order here could be either 25 and 30 episodes before and after the AT respectively, or 30 before and 25 after.

Wilycub and Sebastiaan like this.
  10. LiamABC

I really need to upload the spreadsheet I created all those years ago so people can actually see the continuity points in full for hammering this out. Actually I need to look at it again myself!

A few general points for everyone to remember:

For this purpose season 2 can definitely be called seasons 2-4 as there's absolute divides between them, so it's season 1 (65 episodes), Thundercats HO! (5 episodes), season 2 (20 episodes), season 3 (20 episodes) and season 4 (20 episodes). We can create separate threads for seasons 2-4, which should be a lot easier to resolve.

Lion-O's Anointment Trials are a very awkward point continuity-wise, as there are so many episodes that belong before them and others that belong after them, depending on what details are known to the characters at this point. They can't be right in the middle and they can't be right at the end either.

The opening arc of season 1 actually consists of SIX episodes, not five, as "Trouble With Time" belongs before "Pumm-Ra". I did come up with a fairly bulletproof order for the first twenty-odd episodes.

11. LiamABC

OK folks, I've finally uploaded the spreadsheet here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uJTtPaHG7TnziWpR59r7XLcB3h1dD-ef/view?usp=sharing

It lists about four different orders to arrange them in and I'm not quite sure why it's four and not three. I think it includes production order, airdate order, and two different continuity orders.

That's all the notes I made on season 1 back in the day, regarding plot points, flashbacks and suchlike. Including an erroneous comment about the Anointment Trials belonging mid-season.

Tygra_Rules likes this.
  12. Cheetoro

Cheetoro Vortex Explorer

Nice work. It would be great if WB could find any notes on the intended order and give us a DVD release in proper order. I hate that you can't just watch the series in proper order without going back and forth between discs. It seems ridiculous to me these have never been put in an official order.

LiamABC likes this.
  13. LiamABC

It's a work in progress at the moment. I haven't made much progress in a few years. By sharing the spreadsheet with you all, it enables me to get lots of brains working things out an remembering details that refer back to other episodes.

14. Tygra_Rules

Hey! It was me who said the Trials might be midseason. Why is it necessarily erroneous? :biggrin

15. LiamABC

If you look at the notes, you'll see that there's a large number of episodes that have to come before the Trials, and only a small few that have to come after.

It has to do with what the characters do and don't know during those episodes. For example, episodes that by necessity have to come after the Trials are "Divide And Conquer" and "Return Of The Driller" on account of the Vortex and Acid Lake being known to Lion-O in those episodes but not in the Trials.

16. Tygra_Rules

Oooohhh... ok

17. LiamABC

Yes if you look at the notes, you'll see episodes where I've noted a reason that must come after a particular episode, and sometimes that episode has a similar note about coming after another one. I really must watch the show again to finish the project. It's finding the time! This is a complex tapestry to weave, but I did get some way there back in the day. Let's all get our brains together on this!

18. PKELL

PKELL Barbarian

Thanks for this! This is really good work.

I also like putting Trouble With Time before Pumm-Ra since in Pumm-Ra, the TCats go off to check on some Thundrillium source, which they don't have in Trouble With Time. They also mention Lion-O doing well with his Thundertank driving lessons, which again, hadn't happened in Trouble With Time yet.

19. LiamABC

Exactly. Plus over here in England, Trouble With Time was always aired first anyway.

Like I said, the order I have above is work in progress, and I really need to rewatch the episodes and reread my own notes, and see what else the rest of you can spot.

I'm pretty happy with the first third or so as it stands, the rest of it might stand a few tweaks here and there. There are some episodes that refer back to others specifically, or have flashbacks, while others don't have any pointers one way or another and can be used as "buffers" to put between episodes that need a time-lag.