Lion-O 2011 vs 2016

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by LeoTigris, May 21, 2016.

1. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Decided to pick up the Lion-O re-release. The pain job is different. The skin tone is less orange and no light paint on abs. I would recommend it over the 2011 original. The hair seem lighter too.

[​IMG]
    2016 front, 2011 back.

Daremonger, Sebastiaan and Mark M like this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The paint on the 2016 looks better.

Daremonger likes this.
  3. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Mutant

Agreed, it does look better. What about the Snarfs? How do they compare?

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Yeah it would be interesting to see the two Snarfs together.

Daremonger likes this.
  5. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Actually the 2013 Snarf is better. The colors are the same but the paint application was more neat. The 2016 being more mass produced just seemed a little more sloppy. Like not coloring within the lines. But outside of that they are identical.

Sebastiaan, Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  6. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Thanks for the honest info about the paint apps on the 2016 not being as neat. Maybe that was just on your sample?

Daremonger likes this.
  7. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

The Toys R Us I got it from had a bunch. I was careful in selecting which one I got. But Snarf was consistently sloppy. At least in that shipment.

Daremonger likes this.
  8. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

That's a shame. Not a major a fault though as some other toy lines have had.

Daremonger likes this.
  9. TCatsfan

TCatsfan Glass Walker

Hopefully I can pick up the Lion-O with Snarf soon. I will buy him just to get snarf. The other Lion-O I will give to my cousin. He wants it so badly. Will make for a good gift. Just waiting on my Tygra to arrive which will probably only happen somewhere in June. Only received my Filmnation Trap Jaw a few days ago. Can't wait to hold Tygra in my hands.

Daremonger and Mark M like this.
  10. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

Well, I now purchased both Tygra and the Lion-O re-release. I feel like I did my part to support the line. Hopefully the sales are good enough to warrant an announcement about the next figure. If it happens I'm guessing it will be at the Toy Fair next February, like they did last year.

Daremonger likes this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I bet you will be happy if they have something to reveal at SDCC. :D

Sebastiaan and Daremonger like this.
  12. LeoTigris

LeoTigris Berbill

I would be, but not counting on it. I'm sure they will want to take the rest of the year to evaluate. I doubt they can even get the art ready.

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

NECA's SDCC exclusive reveal of the Konami video game Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles yesterday was a real surprise for me. :D

Daremonger likes this.
  14. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

The 2016 Lion-O figure is astonishing.

15. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

they look about the same to me. they both even have the Heat Miser hair going on. LOL

Daremonger likes this.
  16. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

They have yellowish hands instead of cream ones, too.

17. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I still think the head sculpt on this figure is terrible and doesn't really look like the cartoon.

18. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I finally bought one of these since I've ended up, through my own purchases, and gifts, getiing the rest of the line and felt compelled to complete it. Especially sice he comes with Snarf. I'll be redoing the head on this one when I have him in hand though.

Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Can't wait to see your sculpt of the face. :) It's odd that the face is so off as Jean St Jean's work is usually great and all the other figures in this line and the Diamond Select stuff he has sculpted is excellent, but this figures face is just really off.

20. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

Me too! :) I was blown away when I first saw Booshman's customs. His Captain Shiner is just incredible beyond description!