Lion-O 2011 vs 2016

Discussion in 'Mezco and Bandai Toys' started by LeoTigris, May 21, 2016.

1. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

I might not have the figure in hand for a while, but hopefully I can improve it a bit, particularly the hair, which I think let's it down a lot.

Thanks man, definitely a favourite of mine too.

Mark M likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

The face just isn't right but better shaped hair might improve the overall look.

3. Wilycub

Wilycub Staff Writer and Artist TC.org Staff

I agree. While the face isn't 100% cartoon accurate, the hair is a much bigger problem. It looks like Lion-O is standing on top of a subway grate, a la Marilyn Monroe, and the gust of air is blowing his air up! :biggrin

Mark M likes this.
  4. Booshman

I'll alter the face a bit too, but the silhouette is massively off and that's the hairs fault. Looking at pics of this online, his eyes look bloody massive. Might have to sort that out.

Mark M likes this.
  5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

You see these aren't technically action figures. They are more statues than anything. They are only really designed to look good in one pose that you can slightly adjust, in Lion-O's case, with his head angled back holding the sword above his head. With the head angled back the shape of the hair isn't as noticeable.
    Very anime lol.

Wilycub likes this.
  6. mumm_ra_n_rana

mumm_ra_n_rana Thunderian Legend

hmmmm what other customs have you done, boosh?

7. Booshman

There's a thread in the customs section. Check it out. :)

8. Daremonger

Daremonger Thunderian Legend

I look forward to your take on Mezco Lion-O.

9. Wilycub

Bingo! I think you hit the nail on the head right there. That also explains the lack of articulation. I mean a 14 inch figure only has 7 points of articulation? Most of the other action figures are less than half that size and have double the number of articulations. :)

Mark M likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I am not crazy about tons of articulation but if Mezco had made these a bit smaller 6" or 12"I think the line would have done better....oh and released more than one figure a year. ;)

11. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I think you're right on, especially with how slow they release. They do also take up quite a bit of room, but I don't think they are priced too badly and certainly enjoy them for what they are.

12. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Slow releases really hurt lines more than anything and has finished many toy lines. In fact I think the slow release of the second wave of figures didn't do the Bandai line any favours...mind you I suppose the first lot were still peg warming...
    But there is no excuse for 1 figure a year. Mezco should have been doing 3- 4 figures each year.

13. Booshman

I still don't have this in hand, and won't for a few months. Gonna be a major T'Cats haul come January! I found a pic of the sculpt and photoshopped the hair to see how it looks. I used the hair from the Mattel figure and adjusted it. I think if I can acheive something similar I'll be happier with the figure.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    Daremonger, adssse and Wilycub like this.
  14. Wilycub

That looks much better and more similar to the cartoon version of Lion-O. I'll be looking forward to seeing your work on this. Please do post WIP's if you can.

15. Booshman

I definitely will, I always try to document as much as I can when I'm making stuff.

16. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

Yes, that looks much more accurate. Looking forward to it.

17. Booshman

Well almost 2 years later I got moving on this:

[​IMG]

I made a silicone mold of the face of the original head and scculpted on some new hair with some Monster clay. When it's done I'll make a new mold so I can cast a full head with the new hair. The I'm going to repaint the whole figure.