Lion-O: Mattel vs. Bandai

Discussion in 'Mattel ThunderCats Toys' started by Alluro Fan, Dec 17, 2016.

?

Which Lion-O looks best with the Mattel Thunderkittens & Pumyra and the Bandai Tygra?

1. Mattel Lion-O (top pic)

47.1%
  2. Bandai Lion-O (bottom pic)

41.2%
  3. They both work for me.

11.8%
  4. They both suck and I'll only love my 80's figures.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

2. Alluro Fan

Alluro Fan Glass Walker

Now that we have most of the Thundercats figures for the year, I thought it'd be fun to do a size comparison with all the current modern Thundercats figures to see who of you prefers which Lion-O. I'm interested to read your responses.

3. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I like them both but I believe the Bandai figure fits better.

4. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Overall the Bandai looks and works the best. The Mattel Pumyra is too tall and the Mattel Lion-O is too short and bulky. The Bandai figures proportions and height look far better.
    There is some nice parts to the Mattel figure but neither the Mattel or Bandai is perfect. But if I had to pick between the two it would be the Bandai Lion-O.

Wilycub likes this.
  5. Sebastiaan

Sebastiaan Thunderian Legend

I'm surprised how well the Tygra figure works with the Mattel lot. Myself owning the Bandai figures, they look very well with the kittens, but I'm still waiting for my single shipment to compare properly. However, I think one can only really judge once Panthro is in there to check the balance of the figures. But he does look great either way, I just prefer the Mattel Lion-O.

6. ThunDerianRoyalGuard

ThunDerianRoyalGuard Site Admin TC.org Staff

I can believe how tall Pumyra is, or rather how short Lion-O is. It looks absolutely ridiculous :roflmao I think the Kittens are amazing, Jackalman is fantastic, but Lion-O is a big let-down. I'll give him points for the head sculpt, but overall I'll take the BanDai release.

7. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Overall I like the Mattel Lion-O better. I don't like the hard shiny plastic look. The figure is too skinny and the face sculpt isn't all that great. The Mattel version could be taller but I like the muted paint, softer plastic Mattel uses and the face sculpt is great. Plus we have 6 other figures to display him with as opposed to 2. I also like them fitting in with classics so they can be displayed together and look uniform.

8. Booshman

Booshman Thunderian Legend

Seeing how tall Pumyra is she might be about the perfect height to fit in with my customs. Glad I went with making Cheetara first now. Once I do a Lynxo I'll have the whole team.

Thundergod, Wilycub and Mark M like this.
  9. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I can hardly wait to see that!

KosmoKat likes this.
  10. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

If Super 7 get the licence they really need to invest in some new parts and a new buck male and female body with better proportions and articulation.

KosmoKat likes this.
  11. kenedy

kenedy New Member

Great to see such good post.well done.....

12. Nitewing73

Nitewing73 Junior Member

Although I've seen some pics online didn't realize how much taller the Pumyra figure is. In surprised how well the Bandai versions fit with her and the twins.

KosmoKat likes this.
  13. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

Lion-O isn't the problem here, Pumyra is. They must have used the same crotch piece they used on Glimmer who is also out of scale with the other She-Ra females :( What is infuriating is there ARE already tooled MOTUC female parts that would have kept Pumyra in scale!!

As for comparing the Lion-O figures there is really no contest as the Mattel version looks good and Bandai's attempt looks like a cheap knock off. Always thought the Bandai Classics figures were awful ever since they were first revealed.

ThunDerianRoyalGuard likes this.
  14. adssse

adssse Thunderian Legend

I haven't received my Mattel shipment yet for comparison but I have been very pleased with my Bandai Classics thus far. If the Mattel figures really are that much nicer than I will be really stoked!

15. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

It's funny that even though the poll is: "Which Lion-O looks best with the Mattel Thunderkittens & Pumyra and the Bandai Tygra?", some people seem to be answering the question: "Which Lion-O is better, Mattel or Bandai".

To me, the Bandai Lion-O is obviously the choice simply based on the scale. Even though the Mattel Lion-O is more cartoon accurate, it is too short to look good standing next to Pumyra. It's like Sylvester Stallone standing next to Brigitte Nielsen! :biggrin

Mark M and ThunDerianRoyalGuard like this.
  16. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

To me the question of which looks better with which ever figure is the question of which is better. Based on toon accuracy both are out of scale no matter how you try to explain it. So it comes down to personal preference and if you can fathom the possibility of a woman being taller than a man. So while not toon accurate, I can handle it.

17. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

If that's how you interpret the question then that's totally fine. I didn't do that. To me it seems like a straightforward question and so I responded to it that way.
    Not true. In the cartoon, Lion-O was taller than Pumyra. He was taller by about the same height as the Bandai Lion-O vs Mattel Pumyra. Here's a screengrab to show that:
    [​IMG]
    I'm sure everyone can fathom the possibility of a woman being taller than a man. Did you miss my Stallone/Nielsen comment? Also did you miss my comment about how I thought that the Mattel Lion-O is more cartoon accurate? I wouldn't want a Princess Leia figure that is shorter than a Han Solo figure, not because there are no tall women in the world but simply because Carrie Fisher is shorter than Harrison Ford.

To me, the question was who looks better when placed next to the Pumyra, Kittens and the Bandai Tygra, and my choice is the Bandai Lion-O.
    Good for you. I never questioned your preference or tried to change your mind. I simply stated my preference just as you did yours. I'm sure that's permissible here, right? Now I'm just waiting for blackiecats to reply to my comment. ;)

18. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

Yaaaay....lets go point for point trying to prove things to each other!!!! It's obvious with this last point you're just looking to argue and I'm just not into it. At no point in the OP's question did he say try to prove your points to other people.

19. catgurl

catgurl Moleman

No he did not, but that is exactly what you did. I posted my opinion but you couldn't resist replying to my comment to prove your choice. You were explaining your choice to me out of your own free will and now you are turning it around as if it is my fault. Huh?!?!?!?
    I'm not looking to argue, you are. You replied to my comment, directing your comments at me, and I was simply responding to that. Funny that for someone who doesn't want to argue you start the arguments yourself.

There are many people who posted their opinions here but you single me out and respond to me. Then when I reply to you, you say I'm arguing??!?!? What kind of logic is that? If you don't want to have any sort of discussion with me then don't reply to my comments.

You are allowed to make your point but when I make mine then that is a problem for you.

20. Berserker

Berserker Glass Walker

:roflmao:roflmao:roflmao

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.