Lion-O's choice in women

Discussion in 'ThunderCats (2011)' started by srebak, Oct 9, 2014.

1. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

Just so we're clear, i want no one to misconstrue this as me being biased towards women, it's just something i noticed.

So far, all of Lion-O's choices for love interests have been older women:

According to Dan Norton; Lion-O is 17, which means Cheetara has 2 years on him (she's 19 according to Dan), and Pumyra has 3 or 4 (according to Dan, she's 20-21). Was Lion-O aware of the age gaps between him and his love choices? I mean if he was intended to, i can see how that could work: they say that Panthera, was intentionally made taller than Lion-O's ancestor, Leo, to show that the latter is neither intimidated, nor bothered, by strong Amazonian women.

Having Lion-O not be bothered by being younger than the woman he likes could work the same way.

Any thoughts

Daremonger likes this.
  2. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I don't think a couple years difference is a big deal.
    I noticed a lot of the other cats were bigger than Leo/Lion-O. I liked that there was a variety of size between them and they were not all depicted and hulking masses of muscles and body builders on steroids.

Daremonger likes this.
  3. matius

matius Junior Member

I think they handled him as an impatient teenager, the personality of Lion-O has many plot holes but his tastes for women are those of a teenager who doesn't understand that the bad guy gets the good girl and the bad girl he likes, prefers a nasty old man(as in real life). :p

For that reason he forgets his feelings for Cheetara and then Pumyra becomes the love of his life in less than a week.:rolleyes:

According to Dan Norton, Panthera only be Leo's girlfriend, but they would not have a future together, so many of us speculate that Lion-O's girlfriend would be a panther, that would solve the problem of racism among Thunderians.

For me it had to be Cheetara, but the writers are on the opposite side of my ship. I never liked the Wildstorm comics, that's where the horror began.

Daremonger likes this.
  4. Dragon78

Dragon78 Barbarian

He might have fallen for/ended up with one of the warrior maidens(if they existed).

He might have fallen for/ended up with Mandora(if she existed).

He might have ended up with a made up cat that we never saw.

He might of been soured by relationships and ended up alone.

5. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I could not agree more. I really disliked those comics.
    In fact in issue 0 or the source book there are some updated designs by Dan Norton done back then which I really disliked but were still carried across to the 2011 series.

Daremonger likes this.
  6. Mark / Grizzlor

Mark / Grizzlor Site Director TC.org Staff

Hard to say much about Lion-O's taste in women when really as a horny teenager he gravitated towards THE ONLY TWO WOMEN he's met. Besides the ThunderCats slaves rescued from the Plundarr mine, only Cheetara and Pumyra are in his orbit. Can't count Wilykit because she's too young... so his tastes seem to be... I like this one because I can see her.

Dan Norton has said that Lion-O ends up "with a female". It can't be Cheetara because we also have learned from Dan that she and Tygra have a child together (Bengali). It COULD be Pumyra if she is brought back from the dead after Tygra kills her. This seems like a stretch but Dan Norton has expressed a deep fondness for Pumyra and he's said this all leads to a happy ending.

It could be Wilykit if she does a lot of growing up and aging in the second series. This depends really on how much time passes during the second season. We've seen how supportive she is of Lion-O, there is a growing fondness between the two.

It could be a "female" we haven't met yet.

Daremonger likes this.
  7. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

@matius - I think he said that Leo and Panthera might not have that future, which, to me, sounds like they had yet to determine that at the time, which also means that Panthera just might have ended up as Leo's queen

Daremonger likes this.
  8. matius

matius Junior Member

I think Leo married a lioness.:D
    Merged Post:
    Not Pumyra. Dan Norton ruled out the possibility. Wily Kit.... eww.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
    Daremonger likes this.
  9. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

As far as the relationships between the various characters I think that was one of Dan's biggest mistakes.

Daremonger likes this.
  10. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

I probably wouldn't have minded the Tygra/Cheetara thing if they left Lion-O out of the equation. I probably might have been able to deal with the Love Triangle thing if they didn't give us another moment where Lion-O got heartbroken afterwards

Luckinekolives and Daremonger like this.
  11. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

I a not against the characters having relationships with each other. In fact if anything it made some of them slightly more interesting. I just don't like the way Dan and the writers etc had the relationships between the characters work. Having Cheetara get together with Tygra, fair enough, but the inclusion of Lion-O spoiled it. It wasn't something fans could be happy about. It was at the cost of hurting another characters feelings. I suppose it's a bit like not being able to get behind the heroes after seeing how cruel the cats were to the other races.
    Personally I wouldn't even class it as a love triangle.
    As for the whole Pumyra thing that was pretty much just a mess....

Daremonger likes this.
  12. srebak

srebak Laser Beast

So... are you basically agreeing with what i said?

Daremonger likes this.
  13. Mark / Grizzlor

Do you have a source for that? I've spent hours combing through the crew tumblr, Dan's deviant art page and his facebook page, and comments recorded at Powercon and I haven't seen Dan definitively rule out Pumyra as Lion-O's final partner.

I know that she dies and I said as much, I know it would be a long shot but she has been brought back from the dead before and we know the Spirit Stone has the power of resurection too. So until I see a source on this I still count Pumyra as a possibility.
    Merged Post:
    I dunno man, the same exact thing kinda worked in a little franchise called Star Wars.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2014
    Daremonger likes this.
  14. Thunderdork

Thunderdork New Member

I can't remember which comedian said this but
    "Breast are like soda to men; each man has a preference, but he will take what's on tap."

Lion-O is a hormonal cub. If they threw a new female cat or whatever at him in each episode I'm sure he would fall for at least half of them or at the very least check them out and elbow Tygra to join him in checking them out.

Lion-O might have convinced himself he "loved" Pumyra only because he was still being a big titty-baby over Cheetarah going for Tygra. He didn't even really love Cheetarah. He thought she was hot and believed he deserved her because he's the handsome prince, but that's not how it worked out and we need to get over this. I'm sure there was a genuine physical attraction between him and Pumyra too though.

Sometimes I think people genuinely focus on shipping too much regardless of the series.

Luckinekolives and Daremonger like this.
  15. matius

matius Junior Member

I asked him on his DA account and that was his response.:thumbsup:

Daremonger likes this.
  16. Mark / Grizzlor

I've literally gone through every single post Dan has done on Deviant Art and I can't find any post that says definitively that Pumyra would not be Lion-O's final partner.

Do you have a way of finding your question?

Cheers,
    Mark

Daremonger likes this.
  17. matius

matius Junior Member

I'm not angry about this Grizzlor. But I think you've done something very disrespectful.:lionomad:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Daremonger likes this.
  18. Mark / Grizzlor

It seems that when I tried to use the quote feature the bb software didn't allow me to post as myself but affected your post instead. It wasn't my intent to edit your posts, apologies for causing the confusion.

Daremonger likes this.
  19. Mark M

Mark M Thunderian Legend

Not really, Leia and Luke were brother and sister and when that came out that pretty much ended any speculation of them getting together so when Han and Leia got together the fans were happy about it.
    Merged Post:
    Yes I agree with you about Pumyra. But aside from her relationship with Lion-o I think the way Dan and Co handled her character was awful. I don't think any of the 2011 characters did their OS counterparts any justice but of them all Pumyra's was done the most injustice.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
    Daremonger likes this.
  20. NuudoruNoMasho

NuudoruNoMasho Berbill

I applaud what they tried. Folks are right. He's a teenybopper what's discovering passion for the first time.... very like romeo. And like shakespear, this story is attempting to tell you what passion does to people without restraint. Passionate warring groups like the Capulets and the Montagues ( Cats and... dern near everyone els) will kill each other without a second thought, passionate people in love will get themselves killed for their passion. And all you get is a bunch of people dead.

They are trying to teach the main character a lesson in wisdom and free will. People do not just do what you want because you act all nice and are the main character (I mean, most of us see ourselves as the main character in our lives so this is a good lesson). This is as true with his romantic interests as with his diplomacy. I'm very very glad they wanted to do this and I'm kinda glad they gave the level headed brother some good thing for his level-headedness. Tygra didn't expect to have the girl he was being all nice to, he just liked her since they were kids and was gonna do the right thing by her no matter what. I'd have kinda liked to see Cheetara and Tygra actually BEING friends before they got together. But character development is consummately sacrificed to the great god "plot" in this show. Partly why Adventure Time does this concept better.

As for Pumyra, classic rebounding. And don't folks always rebound to the worst people? And because I'll never have a better opportunity to mention this, I kinda respect how they mixed Merna and Pum-ra in Pumyra... From a smarty smart smartpants standpoint.

Daremonger likes this.