looking for flash character animators

Discussion in 'Fan Art & Customs' started by Andrew, Sep 13, 2007.

1. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

if anyone here does flash character animation, link me to your work. we're looking for people who can create animation for some projects.

2. blackiecats

blackiecats Legacy Team Member

I know a friend of mine used to use Flash a lot. Here's her website:

http://www.nicolajoannebolton.com/

Not sure if she is what you are looking for, but if you do contact her, tell her I sent you her way ;)

3. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I sent her a message...I didn't see any animation on the site, but maybe I didn't poke around enough...

here was the full notice we had posted on fantisto.com:

One of the fantisto.com creators, Andrew McCabe, and his team are currently seeking a reliable person or persons able to create character animation using Flash on a minimal budget for an outside project. Finding someone in the Orlando, Florida area would be HIGHLY preferable. A small team is attempting to put together a project and would like to discuss what would be involved with getting some cheap character animations. Please send a brief description of who you are, where you are located, your phone number, what your level of experience is, what your current employment/school schedule is like…and definitely send links to examples of things you have worked on in the recent past to show experience. If you have no completed work to show yet but you are learning (for example you are enrolled in your first flash class this semester and have played around with the program previously), please explain your situation in detail. We certainly don’t expect to see you producing television-quality animation if you are freshman in college, but we do need someone who can produce flash animation if we need it. We can not have someone who strings us along while they learn. If you want to learn, but do not yet know the basics, this may not be for you. This project is all about low budgets and growing talent. Send examples of your work which show that you can create two-dimensional characters and move them on screen in action sequences using fluid movement. Style is your choice as long as we can see movement. You should have some understanding of dialog syncing with your animation. You must work quickly and within budget. Consistent output under a schedule with strict deadlines is paramount. We already have access to writers, character designers, background artists, and most likely will not need input in those areas. We are NOT looking for established professionals. Do not apply if you are looking for “employment”. Any work would be part-time and freelance, paid in full upon completion. At this time, we are only in the planning and research phases to see if this is a viable project to tackle, thus when contacting us, you should not expect an opportunity to be making money immediately. This may turn into an opportunity for the right young student to expand a portfolio. Current members of the team are established in marketing and production of small budget projects. Animator would have a protégé styled place in the project. If we use your talents, any work we request would be paid in a work-for-hire capacity dependant upon a budget that is yet to be determined for the project. Please send requested information to flash_animation@andrewmccabe.com.

4. blackiecats

I know she used to do a lot of flash with her own characters as well Dreamstone characters a while back.

She might fit the description you posted, but she is obviously based in the UK.

5. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

I got a reply back from her:

"I actually don't have any experience using Flash. I write and illustrate children's books using Photoshop. I do have Macromedia Flash MX installed on my PC but only use it occasionally. Most of the animations I have done are layered GIF files on Photoshop, I include a few examples for you below. I did neil a blinking cat avatar a while back but nothing in Flash I'm afraid."

No luck there :-(

6. MannysCollectibles

MannysCollectibles Legacy Team Member

Andrew I may just have the person or persons for you and as a matter of fact they both live in the Orlando area. One of them works for NASA in their simulation department and is currently developing a game (as a hobby) for the XBox360 along with his brother. One of them has a degree in Computer Science the other in Animation. This may be what you are looking for, I will get in contact with them and see what they say. I'll keep you updated

7. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Yeah, sounds awesome. Definitely keep me posted!

8. MannysCollectibles

Ok Andrew I just contacted one of them (the one that works at NASA) and he said that his brother would be the one qualified for the job since his brother has a degree in Computer Animation. I gave him the email you posted on the message above. Hopefully he will send you an email or send me an email. Let me know how it all turns out.

9. blackiecats

Ah right :oops: I don't know much about computer animation so just assumed she had worked with flash :duh: Oh well.. seems Manny has you sorted now :)

10. MannysCollectibles

No good news, I just got an email from my friend and I really dont think he will have much time for the project. He is currently working a full time job on top of going for his Master's at UCF and to top it off him and his brother had to put the XBox game on hold due to time constraints.

11. kzlambert

kzlambert Illustrator & Animator TC.org Staff

Hi Andrew, I use flash quite a bit myself and teach it at work, but due to being a full time student, working part time as well as being an artist.. my availability may not be sufficient for what you are looking for.

If you could post an example of the type of flash animation you would like achieving and I can let you know.. a) if I can do it, and b) whether I will have time to do it..

An example would help me give you a better answer.. Let me know

Kyle

12. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Not a problem. Thanks for looking out for me.
    If you have seen any of those old superhero cartoons like the superfriends, hana barbera stuff, tom and jerry, danger mouse...something somewhat like that style of movement. Flat, 2d animation, cel style, very little shading, limited movement forward and back in a frame. Very basic stuff...Something in a modern era to think of-sealab, aqua teen...but whatever someone can do. Key is being quick to produce. Like aqua teen hunger force doesn't look like fantastic "animation" like 1950's disney stuff-fantasia/snow white...Simple character models, some running, jumping, punching, flying...etc...Think like he-man or scooby doo where the "running" was the same recycled animation on a new background setting in each episode. I am looking to find someone who can do that kind of "stock" animation for a character set.

13. kzlambert

kzlambert Illustrator & Animator TC.org Staff

Although I think I am capable of executing such animation, it is something that does take a long time to do. I am just concerned that with me going back to uni tomorrow and working as well, I may not be able to meet your speed requirements.. especially if I was snowed under with Uni work.

I appologise, but I am sure you would rather have me raise this issue now than raise it halfway through an animation, leaving you stuck waiting.

Good luck finding somebody my friend

Kyle

14. kimball

kimball Junior Member

flash animation

andrew,i've already give you a Private Messages and i'm interested in such project
    hope to hear from you soon :D

15. Andrew

Andrew Active Member

Thanks for being upfront with it. If you want, send me some videos or files anyway just so I can see what you have done. If I find the right artist(s), we'd work towards putting something together that utilizes their strenths to get output as quickly as possible. This is not a "dream project", labor of love kind of thing. This is us getting our feet wet with something small before we attempt anything larger...so we just want to knock some stuff out, put something together, and get a feel for the process, while still ending up with a "product" of some kind. I am not a flash guy myself so I can't envision a course of action within the software to maximize time. I did some school work with 3-d studio max several years ago, but I don't know if doing flash characters would be similar in building models. I supose I could open it up to cel shaded 3-d work too...Finding people who have a little experience is tough. We can't nearly afford a "professional" animator. Ideally, finding a student who has already done the "101" class and can deticate the time and use this project as a stepping stone to move onto something else is ideal. I know when I was in college, I would have loved to be able to get involved in a project that had a team like we have now behind it. I only care about the final output and the time it takes to put it together so we can keep on a schedule. How it is acheived is irrelevant, so if someone can give us good stuff created in 3d (that looks like 2d), quickly, that works too. I just figure if we want a 2-d, classic cel look, flash would be preferable. I could be wrong. If it was to be 3-d with cel shading, we wouldn't do any crazy camera movements and I'd want nice strong black edge lines. Alot of the cel shaded stuff I have seen tends have more "video game" styled edges that don't stay well defined...but that may have been intentional on the part of the creators. I don't want anything to look 3-d. The closer to traditional "cel" look, the better. We had looked into using "animation master" from Martain Hash, but again, time and learning curve killed it. We really need to find someone who already knows how to generate the animation. MannyC may have even seen me buy a copy of animation master back at FX '06. We barely installed, then decided to sell our copy due to the learning curve and already being tied up with expanding knowledge of web programming stuff.
    I am sending one back at you, then we can pick it up with email after that.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  16. kimball

kimball Junior Member