Lordore's collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by Lordore, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Lordore's Collection, THUNDERCATS HOOOO!!

The Thundercats cartoon was originally debuted in my country in 1987, 2 years after the American release. One of the most vivid memories I have as a young kid was during the summer of 1989 when I had just turned 5 years old and the show was broadcasted without Greek dubbing late in the afternoon and even though it was difficult to understand the foreign language, the unique magic of this new series had me totally captivated. That year 1989, was the first time I got acquainted with the Thundercats world. Unfortunately, as a kid I never had the chance and pleasure to purchase Thundercats figures, actually I never remember seeing any of them at the shelves of toy shops here in Greece, however some older friends have told me they appeared on the market for sure but in limited supplies. Taking into account the phenomenal success and growing demand as well as the late release in Greece I believe this is the reason I don’t recall seeing any figures from the famous toy line for sale.
    It mast have been around the same period, Christmas of 1989 when my uncle brought to me as a present from England one Lion-o and Mumm-Ra brand new, Mint On Card! As you understand, my excitement went over the top and I can still bring to mind how excited and happy I was. Regrettably, my excessive enthusiasm resulted in breaking Lion-o’s both legs the moment I laid hold of him...
    These two figures were the best toy gifts I had ever received and the only Thundercats I owned.

Fast-forward 15 years later when I started collecting Thundercats for the first time in my life, I really don’t know what triggered me inside to do so, whether the deprivation as a child or the intense nostalgia effect for a sensational series. In any case, apart from the unparalleled quality of these toy designs I consider my personal collection as a way of paying homage to a beloved animated cartoon of my childhood which was so good that I can easily sit down and watch it now or in the future again. Over the last 6-7 years of collecting Thundercats I tend to believe rarity should be estimated primarily by the factor of quality and above all adhere to subjective terms. This is the philosophy I try to maintain and stick to the products which meet my personal preferences and standards.
    Back in 2004, the internet shopping had made it virtually feasible to find any kind of precious items from the four corners of the world. From the beginning, I intended to display my figures Loose but in excellent condition because my aim was to put them inside a glass cabinet and store them there safely. The majority of my loose collection is comprised of moc figures which I decided to open afterwards, of course the Card backs and the Bubble wasn’t in C8 or C9 state, since it wouldn’t be the wisest move to tear off such an expensive piece! My main concern was to exhibit the Vintage Toys as pristine as possible devoid of any damage or defects owing to the reasonable wear of time. Additionally, I didn't want to keep every single figure Carded due to lack of space and primarily i am not so infatuated with the idea of turning my private collection into a generic LJN Thundercats museum. Also I prefer to represent them in my own style and taste. My Moc collection is centered on Lion-o who happens to be my favorite character by the time I was six years old and have picked him out of any other comic, anime or fictional hero.

As other collectors have mentioned, it is better to assemble your collection a little bit at a time rather than anxiously all at once in order to avoid an undesirable overabundance of items, on top of that by following this method you enjoy and value to a greater extent the collectivity process. I’ve chosen to gather my Thundercats in stages too and I relish every part of it along the way. Each one of my Thundercats figures has a special importance to me.

First, here are two pictures of me, the young “cub” dressed up like Lion-o! Honestly, I don’t have the slightest idea about the origin of this costume, why it featured a blue cape and where it is now. All I can remember is having a lot of fun wearing it and being sold exactly as you see, at the second picture I hold the sword of omens, the only LJN product I had.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the Lion-o I referred above who has a great sentimental value for me. The first Lion-o I ever got, except the awful played with condition you can notice the glued broken legs.

[​IMG]

My loose Thundercats figures placed on glass shelves, if you observe closely below their feet there is a white adhesive stuff, it is Blue-Tack to prevent them from dropping. So far my collection isn’t complete and I look forward to adding a couple of things in the future, especially the Thundertank since I don’t have any vehicle or one of my favorite villains, Mongor, but generally it isn’t my wish to acquire the whole line. Besides some famous LJN Figures, like Stinger or the ThunderWings Lion-o never made it to the show. From my standpoint, i want my Thundercats Figures to remind me directly of their appearance in the original cartoon back in the 80s.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The AFA Mumm-Ra sub graded (C60, B70, F85) although it hasn’t received a big overall grade Y-60, is pretty cool and rare considering it is an LJN 8-back, released in 1985. Next to him the younger version Tygra individually graded AFA 80, he looks awesome inside the case.
    Also, the Lion-o at the right side is one of my very early finds, not only in the Thundercats market but on E-bay generally. It came with a slightly opened Blister at the right bottom side, i deeply regret, even to this day, for opening him up:(..But i was just a newbie during that time!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A closer look on the 8-back Unpunched Mumm-ra and the following picture shows the cardback of my opened Lion-o that i mentioned above. Apart from the price stickers, the condition of the card and the blister is great. Imagine what a grave mistake i would have made if an 8-back MOC Lion-o W/Battery had fallen into my hands at that period:eek::eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the only photo i have saved of the 8-back Lion-O before i opened him up, too bad i didn't take more pics back then...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Lion-o wall! They are all MOCs and consist my carded collection, some of them are AFA graded. Up till now, I’ve covered most of Lion-o’s variations of the two main companies which produced Thundercats in the mid-80s, LJN and Rainbow. In my opinion, the other distributers, especially the South American Playful and Glasslite weren’t on a par with the two original manufacturers.

[​IMG]

The legendary 1985 Lion-o with Battery! According to the AFA Population Report there are only two ever graded 8-Back Lion-o Red W/Battery! and this is one of two!Also, he is one of the very few Thundercats Toys which have received the rare Subgrade, Figure:90. The grading sticker, NM Y80(80,85,90), states Red hair but I believe this is the Maroon hair version. A museum piece.

[​IMG]

A close up shot of Lion-o inside the Bubble, this particular Figure has a rare aesthetic quality, that i have never seen before. For some unexplained reasons, the majority of AFA Thundercats Figures score an 85 subgrade. This one is a solid 90, truly magnificent.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more shot with the flash on-the flash however make the Bubble look much more yellowish than it actually is-
    [​IMG]

It's kind of strange because my other Lion-o AFA 85, has received almost the same Subgrades but got an overall 85, whereas this Lion-o only an 80. It beats me why he didn't achieve a higher grade. Personally though, i don't mind.The best thing with AFA is the hard- protective case you get, the grading besides is just one persons opinion.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the holy grail of my collection and my most expensive purchase. The LJN/Italy 14-back Lion-o AFA graded 90 (90, 90, 90).He is the only Lion-o in existence graded so highly. You wouldn’t believe the flawlessness of this figure. Really beautiful piece that will join me to the grave! Lion-o looks truly unblemished from every angle.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of the last Thundercats releases, the so called brown-chest, Rainbow (2nd logo) 22-back Lion-o, AFA graded NM+ 85 (85, 85, 80). Lion-o’s colors all over the head and body seem lightened up and resembles in face modeling much to the LJN counterpart.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the 22-back Rainbow Lion-o inside a custom acrylic case. It is in great condition

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The first Lion-o ever produced, the rare orange hair LJN 8-back. Contrary to my two other 8-backs this one has a perfectly clear bubble, still bright and not yellowed which is very often seen at the 1985 Series 1 figures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All 14-Back Lion-O produced for the LJN America, Series 2
    Generally speaking,I have come to the conclusion that Lion-o, when displayed carded, he looks much more impressive and eye-catching than any other moc Thundercats Figure. I can't explain why, probably because of the larger cardback,maybe the way the 3 accessories are placed or simply because he makes the ideal antithesis with the whole package!!

[​IMG]

The Lion-o and Snarf set. Both the red and orange hair belong to Series 2,LJN. I prefer the orange version.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14-Back Lion-o without Snarf, the right one is in better condition!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I am very fastidious about is the Figure’s condition!! and this LJN 14-back might have some defects on Card & Bubble that detract from its overall eye appeal but the Lion-o figure alone is one of a kind! As shown at the close-up shots Lion-o has tight joints, no sign of overspray which is pretty common, the sword is straight up without curving and has an excellent harmony of paint at Lion-o’s legs, armor, belt and face.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rainbow series 2 Lion-o 14-back with the free mail off Mumm-ra advertised at the bottom right corner. I was never a big fan of UK's version because of the "bulging out the socket" kind of look on Lion-O's eyes.
    [​IMG]

My second Lion-o LJN 14-back with the “J hook”.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  2. mcss aerocoupe

mcss aerocoupe Moderator

That is a very nice collection you have there. I am impressed at the quality of the figures you were able to get considering when you started collecting. Nice backgrounds too by the way.:thumbsup:

3. luketommo2

luketommo2 Vortex Explorer

very nice collection.

only a lion-o thunderwings MOC and a lion-o laser saber(if you can find one) moc to go now :)

4. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Thanks a lot guys, Thundercats is the only toyline i am interested in and my experience has showed me that it's much better to slowly build up your collection. I've also tried to focus on quality over quantity, as the years go by,given the soaring demand, the good pieces will be even more hard and expensive to find, this is the only thing making anxious.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2010
  5. Dom

Dom Active Member

Awesome collection I'm jealous. Those Ikea display cases really look good

6. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Thank you for the comment Dom. Indeed, the Ikea Detolf is the ideal display case for any collection, it is very stylish and easy to assembly,also at the top wooden panel you can insert a bulb to illuminate your glass-door cabinet and brighten up your things!:thumbsup:

7. Lord LionO

Lord LionO Mutant

Super collection Lordore!!! I didn't think you had all those Lion-O's variants, It looks like a Lion-O shrine and I LOVE it! Congrats! and I'm a bit jealous too.

8. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Lion-o is an amazing and very interesting character inwardly and outwardly as well combining many diverse elements, he could stand alone at an episode or work along with his team revealling his capacity to act successfully on his own or leading the Thundercats. He has always been a special persona for me. Thanks Lord LionO

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  9. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Last edited: Apr 18, 2010
  10. Lordore that is a truly amazing 'energizer' battery Lion MOC. And one of only two graded so nicely? You have the best Lion O collection i have ever seen.:cool: A 'Lion O museum' :liono

11. Saint Doyle

Saint Doyle Crabman

Wow. Excellent collection and excellent post. I really like your back story, too. I wish I had pictures of 6-year-old me in my Thundercats pajamas.

12. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Thanks a lot Saint Doyle, appreciate it;)

Recently, i came upon this picture, unfortunately i don't think i have any more left.

The young 'cub' fighting against Mumm-Ra's evil Ninja from 'The Thunder-Cutter'!!:p

[​IMG]

Wow, if you take a closer look, I can't believe i had broken the hilt of the Sword of Omens as well!:duh: Gotta take it to Bengali asap!!

13. Saint Doyle

Saint Doyle Crabman

Is that the SoO that lights up, or is it the "dagger" version where the hilt comes off? I can't tell from the whirlwind of action going on here.

14. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

It's the LJN version that Lights up and i am afraid... judging by the picture i wasn't treating it so well, as befitting to such a legendary sword:liono!
    This sword it's the only Thundercats product they had bought me from Greece, i was having one hell of a time playing with it!!

15. Snake-Eyes

Snake-Eyes Junior Member

Lordore - you have a cool collection my friend! And the pics of you dressed as Lion-O are Awesome! Great memories eh? Thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 1, 2011
  16. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Thanks a lot Snake-Eyes! I appreciate your kind comments!

Yeah, i had and still have a thing about Lion-o, you adore Snake-Eyes, so i bet you know what i am saying!!!,

As a kid i got a real kick out of this costume! I remember wearing it 24/7, sleeping, eating, going out, leaping into action with it!! Just like Lion-o did who never changed his clothing!! LOL

17. Is the 8 Back with no battery offer orange or red haired?

18. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Hy indiabluesplit!

It's the orange hair my friend

19. PGowdy

PGowdy New Member

Impressive collection. Loving the Lion-o MOCs. :)

20. your 8 Back (orange hair) have the catalog? thanks