Lordore's collection

Discussion in 'ThunderCats Collector's Showcase' started by Lordore, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Thanks a lot PGowdy, the Lion-o MOCs is a result of my passion and enthusiasm for the character!

Much as i like and esteem other LJN Thundercats Figures, such as Tygra or Jaga, i don't share the same adoration as Lion-o to keep them carded!

Yes, it has the catalog, my opened 8-back Lion-o didn't.
    In the recent picture that i've uploaded showing the blister and card, i have tucked into one spare catalog.

2. So, basically what your saying is...My Lion-O is older ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2011
  3. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

That's right my friend! yours without the Catalog came out first!

4. If/when i find another one, you have first right of refusal!

5. Bringbackthe80s

Bringbackthe80s Junior Member

That is an unbelievable collection mate congrats you must have one of the largest in the world :)

6. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Hello Bringbackthe80s!! Thanks a lot for your kind comments:thumbsup:, my collection certainly isn't the largest, you will find much more extensive than mine in the TCL forum, but i guess i have imparted my love and passion for Thundercats to every part of my Vintage Toys so far!

In the near future i will add a few more pieces, i am on the prowl for a Sword of Omens and after that, it's the Vehicles' turn!!! The iconic Thundertank of course comes first!

PS.A bit off topic here, i read you are a big soccer fan, i am a big fan too and i used to play a lot of football, until a very bad knee injury stopped me from playing on top-level again. I suffered from a complete tendon rupture. The hamstring in the back of the leg, the quadriceps and the patellar tendons were all ruptured. I remember it was a painful and acute injury and i underwent a serious knee surgery which took me almost a year to fully recuperate. Anyway...I support Panathinaikos! You must have heard of the best Greek team!! We often play on the Champions League and have had some great matches against big clubs!

Take care,
    Orestes

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  7. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

It’s been quite some time since I last updated my Thundercats Vintage Toys, so I am pretty excited to display my latest acquisitions. Above all, I am very happy that I finally managed to add to my collection a MIB, Sword of Omens! The last time I remember being so overwhelmed by joy for a Thundercats Toy was when I received the AFA90 Lion-o. The sword was the only Thundercats product I had purchased as a kid from Greece and now after so many years I feel like I am going back to my Thundercats roots!! Also, i have expanded my Loose figures by 5 characters, the Berserkers and Mongor. They are in great condition and look very nice placed on the glass cabinet.

I have taken plenty of pictures that I wanted to share from various angles of the Sword. It is the late 22-back version with the Toy Options address printed on the card back. Over the last two years I was desperately on the prowl for a sword and I consider myself lucky that I recently found this amazing piece on e-bay. At some point in the future I plan on sending it for grading to AFA or UKG, I think it deserves it.
    Wholeheartedly, I would like to say a big THANK you to the TCL Forum members who expressed their concern and supported me on purchasing this Sword. LiarDiceFilms, indiabluesplit, Thundercat01 a special Thanks to you guys, your interest really touched me…just to let you know i appreciate it a lot.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics of the sword standing upside down:liono

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Tcats Loose Figures from the top to bottom
    [​IMG]

A blend of the Good&Evil Thundercats!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Berserkers figures,much to my amazement, are much more bulkier and larger than I anticipated. Hammer Hand is highly detailed and exquisitely made. I think he rightfully earns his place as one of the best Evil Thundercats Figures along with Mumm-ra and Grune. My next target is a loose Driller and the Thundertank. I am a bit ashamed and I believe I belong to the very few, if not the only one, hardcore Thundercats Collectors who still don’t own this iconic vehicle!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  8. wthompson

wthompson Crabman

Nice one man, great score !

9. I also don't have a Thundertank...Thankfully they show up regularly MIB:eek:

Great collection! That sword in the acrylic case is going to look great! I am thinking of dumping my entire MOC/MIB collection at AFA at 1 time and being done with it, the UPS truck will show up there and EVERY box inside will be from me:sneaky:

On a side note - You mentioned the Sword as being second series Rainbow..i did not see the symbol anywhere in any of the pictures, an i missing something?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  10. Sepphara

Sepphara Vortex Explorer

Nice score on the sword! Its a perfect bit to your already beautiful collection! Brimfeild is coming up soon in may so I'm sending scouts to look for loose figures and MIB's ones as well for me! I have sword envy though. ^_-

11. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

wthompson, sepphara Thank you very much for the kind words and comments:liono

sepphara i wish you a good Thundercats hunting and hope you ferret out some of the rarest pieces at the Antique Show next month!!

Once again, a personal Thanks to you man for your contribution.

I must have felt so elated and excited with the sword that i've made a mistake:)LOL, and thanks for pointing it out. The Second Series Rainbow logo doesn't appear nowhere on the card back.
    [​IMG]

I was checking out thundercat01's sword and the Rainbow logo 2 is clearly printed right below the lion's head logo on the front.Whereas my Sword version only has the Toy Option address on the back, so Blackie was right on one of his older posts about this particular piece, here is the pic proving it:
    [​IMG]

Honestly, i can't say which version is most frequently seen on the market and should be considered the rarest as being the least common. One thing is for sure, the ''Top Mount'' 22-backs don't pop up regularly on e-bay.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2011
  12. Please don't think i was trying to take anything away from the scarcity of your particular version, i definitely an not. In the time i have collected I have seen only 1 of your version, the funny thing is, i have only seen one of each version lol. I like all the variations!

13. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

Hey man, didn't even had to mention that!,it never crossed my mind, i know you are well disposed and your intentions as well as your good natured comments are always to the benefit of our Site.

Frankly, after all these years of being close to the Thundercats market, i still don't know how the scarcity scale goes for the Sword Of Omens and its variations. It isn't as plain and simple as in the MOC Figures, as you rightly suggested 'you've only seen one of each version', so it's kind of hard to pinpoint which is the rarest among them, this is why i had said on a previous post they are all rare to me!!

14. In theory….
    You would think that the “8 Back” Sword of Omans would be moderately more scarce than the “14 Back” Sword, Being the most common. With the “22 Back” sword coming in somewhere in the middle, this is of course based on MOC figures.

Then you have to factor in distribution. There were only two “8 Back” rainbow figures made, and they rank among the most difficult to find, based on that concept, you would think that the “8 Back” rainbow sword would be exceptionally rare, however, I am again basing this theory on the figures…which could be entirely wrong. (I don’t think it is though)

Series 3 is its own animal, I say this because “22 back” figures are not exactly easy to find. Some of the rarest items in the Thundercats series came at the end of the production and although the sword was produced all the way through the line, how many are left that are to the exact specification as yours?

Basically, I believe any MIB sword of Omans that is in solid condition is worth having graded and sealed, they look remarkable behind acrylic!

15. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

The way you put it, this is a correct theory but it applies only to the MOC Figures, the Sword Of Omens is a whole new ballgame! I think different rarity factors bear upon, which categorize each version into a completely separate section.

Whenever a MIB Sword Of Omens comes up, which btw happens very infrequently, it won't fetch less than 400 USD on the market and judging from my experience all the Thundercats fans swarm over!! irrespective of its edition, year or country of origin. Also, the fact that there are only two or three AFA graded Swords, i think all belong to LJN 8-back, counts as an additional reason why every Sword has its own rarity.

You can say that again!! I've asked Lord LionO's opinion on passing judgement on this particular sword, since he has the best AFA graded sword in existence which looks truly amazing and his help would be much usefull on deciding whether i should sent mine or not! Even though, i've got my finger on the pulse of the MOC Thundercats Figures, it's not my field of expertise the Swords and how the grading system works there. Please, if any other member, has sent or is on the fence about sending his piece, i'd really like to hear your thoughts!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  16. Thundercat01

Thundercat01 Active Member

Glad you won the sword lardore and your search is over, its looks better than the grainy picture in the auction. I personally think all the swords are equally rare, however some are probably more scarce than others when you look into it. In terms of value, other than MOC figures which varies greatly depending on card back I don't think its as distinguishable with the swords. Its pretty safe to say the sword on its card will always fetch £200-£400 dependant on the condition, card backs don't seem to effect prices at the moment due to the overall scarcity of a MIB sword in general regardless of which series its from as there are always collectors looking for them. I'm sure some collectors have a preferred card back they want to acquire but when a MIB swords turns up you just have to bid what your prepared to pay for it because the chances of the specific variation your looking for turning up when you want it are non existent. It would be interesting to find out how they grade the swords, do they have a tamper policy like they do with the figures. I've looked closely at mine and it looks to have never been taken off the card but I can't see how you'd know without taking it off the card to see the other side of the sword for scratches etc... Good look with grading your sword and finding the remaining loose figures your seeking lardore.

17. As you are aware - I myself also own an MIB Sword of omans and will be sending it to AFA as soon as it arrives. I expect nothing less than a AFA70 but would not be surprised if i see an AFA75. I would say yours will hit between the AFA75 - AFA80 mark. when you send it in, make sure you are very specific on the desription, you don't want it just lumped in with all those common LJN swords ;)

I lucked out. I collect 8 Backs and found an 8 Back Sword :eek:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011
  18. ThunderDog

ThunderDog New Member

Great Collection!!!! :O Certainly one of the best i have seen! Keep on collecting.
    Im so jealous!

19. Lordore

Lordore Moderator

The MOC Figures are much easier to guess what final grade will get.
    The Sub-grades Card, Blister, Figure offer insight into different aspects of the whole packaging and are not an average used to determine the overall grade an item receives. Once the overall grade has been established, the grader will then assign individual grades for the card, the blister and the figure. However, the grading process for the Swords beats me, Lord Lion-o suggested to me some great ideas of the points taken into consideration. I will PM again Lord LionO to ask him if he could analyze it any further for all of us!! But Thundercat01 you have raised a very good question, given we don't have much Swords AFA graded, we are still in ignorance.

20. I have been "guessing" our sword grades based on MIB vehicles that have been graded, we will see if i am right or wrong...